Any program which can auto-select files from a list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this...

Let say I have a folder which contains photos with ascending numbers 001.jpg , 002.jpg , 003.jpg , .....

And I have a list in word format be it txt, rtf or doc format for eg: 003 , 029 , 042, ....

Is there any program which can 'read' the filenames in the list, and help me select the files in the photos folder (or copy it into another folder?).

Preferably a Mac program, but i don't mind a PC program.

Currently I'm going through manual selection from the photos folder which I want to eliminate because it's very time consuming..

TIA!

You could write up a shell script to do this, but you probably knew this already. :)

Doing a search via google came up with not that many results. It does seem that modifying the batch script example from the link below, could give you something that would fill your needs.

http://www.computing.net/answers/programming/xp-batch-script-to-rename-files/14608.html

Last edited:
I do not know any tools but you can try this.

- In Excel spreadsheet: column A= copy, column B=filename, column C= target location.
- Then copy and past to as text in a run.bat file.

E.g
copy img001.jpg c:\temp\myphoto\
copy img010.jpg c:\temp\myphoto\

Amazing... LOL. We're lucky to have such people like spheredome here. I dun know if it works but it does sound like it will... just that I don't use Windows.

Hi guys!

Thanks very much for the replies! I will try and see if it works :)

assuming you are comfortable with the Terminal, and your selection file is named select.txt and has just one number per line, the following command should do the trick:

• while read n; do mv from_folder/$n.jpg to_folder/; done < select.txt
of course, you'll have to replace from_folder and to_folder with the appropriate paths - which you can get by dragging each actual folder from Finder straight into the Terminal window. (you can also get the right path to select.txt by dragging that from Finder to Terminal as well!)

the actual command shoud look something like this:

• while read n; do mv /Users/behyx/photos/$n.jpg /Users/behyx/selects/; done < /Users/behyx/select.txt

hope that helps.

Why not try to cook something up with Automator?

Status
Not open for further replies.