Any prog for batch conversion to reducing image res?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clem

Dec 3, 2004
I usually take photos 1600 X 1200. After taking a whole load of them, sometimes I realise that I don't need the detail and want to convert them all to 1024 x 768. I end up resizing them one by one in photoshop.

Is there a less painful way?

irfanview v3.91

fuji fixpix software. before you download, can re-specify the size and it will be safe into a different folder

Clem said:
I usually take photos 1600 X 1200. After taking a whole load of them, sometimes I realise that I don't need the detail and want to convert them all to 1024 x 768. I end up resizing them one by one in photoshop.

In PS make an Action for image resizing. Then from File > Automate > Batch to run the action for batch processing.

Clem said:

If you are using Windows XP all you need to do is download Microsoft Power Toys. It has several enhancements for windows including a VERY simple resize feature. Simply select the photos you want: right click: and choose resize. Good option if you are posting on the web or generally don't needs lots of detail.

scroll down to image resizer

Good Luck.

Ah ok... thanks for all the suggestions. Will go try them out!

i think there is a valid reason to capture in high res and
downsize the less satisfactory into lower res for keepsake.
The keepers can still retain high res for enlargement printing.

Anyway, other than using PS, another similar program in Mac
that perform such batch resize/copy?

jpcc said:
i think there is a valid reason to capture in high res and
downsize the less satisfactory into lower res for keepsake.
The keepers can still retain high res for enlargement printing.

Anyway, other than using PS, another similar program in Mac
that perform such batch resize/copy?

iPhoto! Haha... select all the images you wanna downsize, click share -> export from the menu bar.

There you can set the file format and max dimension (images smaller than this dimension will not be downsized). Potrait/landscape orientation doesn't seems to matter...

I'm using iphot '05 tho, think the previous version should have this as well, not very sure here...

personally, XnView and IrFranView works nicely for such batch process resizinG !! at least to me ! :)

I use ACDSee for resizing and its quite good. For example, batch resizing for portrait and landscape are all automatic. Batch rotate are also a snap.

Clem said:

I'm using DPP 1.6.1 - fast & it's free too. Only for Canon user.

I've tried tinkering around a bit in PS, but I can't seem to write anything? What do I have to do exactly? Do I have to open up more than 1 picture?

What are the exact steps? :confused:

catchlights said:
Since you have PS, write a action and run batch processing.

Clem said:
I've tried tinkering around a bit in PS, but I can't seem to write anything? What do I have to do exactly? Do I have to open up more than 1 picture?

What are the exact steps? :confused:
Some useful tutorials here:
Batch Processing in Adobe Photoshop

Photoshop Actions and Batch

And there are zillion out there, very much well written with illustrated screen shots, try to do a Google search.

Hope this help

Flare said:
iPhoto! Haha... select all the images you wanna downsize, click share -> export from the menu bar.

There you can set the file format and max dimension (images smaller than this dimension will not be downsized). Potrait/landscape orientation doesn't seems to matter...

I'm using iphot '05 tho, think the previous version should have this as well, not very sure here...

of course if you are using a mac, image capture can resize for you as it imports the pictures from your camera or card reader. haven't tried it though. :)

Thanks a bunch guys. Managed to convert piles of RAW images to more manageble jpgs using PS's batch actions!

Status
Not open for further replies.