any potrait lens can make a person looks skinny???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckevin77

Nov 1, 2009
Sengkang
hi,
just curious to know whether any lenses can make a person look skinny? like those broadcast studio camera....
correct me if i'm wrong :dunno:

thnks

That would actually be considered a very very poor lens. Imagine you rotate 90 degrees to get into portrait orientation, and then the subject looks fatter! :D

It would require very specific distortion, to a level that would be considered unacceptable for any lens manufacturer.

If anything, I could see someone manufacturing a filter that might add this very specific distortion.

But honestly, is there a point? Shoot the picture normally, then reduce the image dimensions on the x-axis by 10% (compress the width). Instant slimming, cheap, and you have control.

Normally PG would use tele-zoom lens and shadow to make a person look thinner. Hope it helps.. :)

Technically speaking, yes. (Sorry preety prata boi!) :bsmilie:

A 85mm Nikkor PC/PC-E or Canon 90mm TSE lens.

Tilted, one could 'shorten' or 'elongate' a person's body a bit. But you might also get selective or increased DOF effects.

However, learning how to use the liquefy tool in PhotoShop is probably easier and more affordable since you could apply that filter to any photo or image file. Or simply distort the image by compressing or elongating it, again in PhotoShop or other post-processing software.

Normally PG would use tele-zoom lens and shadow to make a person look thinner. Hope it helps.. :)

Choice of wardrobe, colors, accessorizing and styling also plays an important part, apart from the other little camera angle techniques to shoot larger people. ;)

hi,
just curious to know whether any lenses can make a person look skinny? like those broadcast studio camera....
correct me if i'm wrong :dunno:

thnks

no, but software can, with reasonable limits.

it's called LIQUIFY

well, unless you call a treadmill a lens. i suppose you could call it that, just put the person on it for 4 hours everyday and they will look skinny. :)

like DM said, you can use light, clothing, etc to mask the er, pudginess.

Technically speaking, yes. (Sorry preety prata boi!) :bsmilie:

A 85mm Nikkor PC/PC-E or Canon 90mm TSE lens.

Hahaha! Forgot about the TSE lenses. But they're veeeery ex and you need to practice a lot with them.

Hahaha! Forgot about the TSE lenses. But they're veeeery ex and you need to practice a lot with them.

TS did not state cost factor as a choice parameter mah! :bsmilie:

Actually, one other way with a far greater range of manipulation with non-specific lenses are with any camera that offers movements like the Fuji GSX series and most large format cameras.

By far, digital manipulation still offers the greatest ease, speed and range for one to well, stretch the image.

hahaha... this thread makes my day man... sooner or later some camera body would have De-fattening control... i doubt anyone would make a De-fattening control lens should be DF lens right? ;p

hahaha... this thread makes my day man... sooner or later some camera body would have De-fattening control... i doubt anyone would make a De-fattening control lens should be DF lens right? ;p

Who knows? Casio compacts already have a "Make-up mode" that suppose to give ppl softer and fairer skin in camera.. Would require alot more processing power and complex algorithms to achieve that though, not just optics..

So many abbreviation !
DX --> camera that used digital image sensors which were smaller than 35mm film.
DC --> special lenses designed so that the image circle matches the smaller size of most digital SLR cameras (in Sigma)
DG --> large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances (in Sigma)
Di --> DIgitally optimized (in Tamron)

now DF ? :confused:

Hmm... when he said 'broadcast studio camera' I thought of those old anamorphic cinema lenses.
The, err, older ones here might remember Cinemascope and the days when (esp for Westerns) everyone looked ridiculously skinny at the start of the movie. Not a very flattering effect though!

No not fatter... but rather, taller :)

instead of trying to make the person look better, how abt makin the person look fatter etc and "blame" it on the lens?

a fisheye len?...

TS did not state cost factor as a choice parameter mah! :bsmilie:

Actually, one other way with a far greater range of manipulation with non-specific lenses are with any camera that offers movements like the Fuji GSX series and most large format cameras.

By far, digital manipulation still offers the greatest ease, speed and range for one to well, stretch the image.

forget about getting any lenses...

this is the way to go.

A telephoto lens' perspective would tend squash the perceived distance between what's infront (nose) to what's behind it (eyes and ears). If the person is looking at the camera at a 30 degree angle then the shoulder to shoulder "distance" would also tend to be squashed. In 35mm film format any thing above 70mm to 100 or 135mm is sorta ideal. So I suppose you could try a 200mm (in 35mm terms) equivalent lens. But be careful of the height you shoot at. Too low and the person would appear short. Alternatively if you use a slightly wider than normal lens (say 35mm or 40mm) and you shoot from a low angle the person would appear to be taller without too much distortion. Taller with same body would make a person slimmer. But watch that butt cos if it gets into the picture in a wide angle shot then you'll get a bigger butt! Using anying wider than 35mm is gonna get you in trouble.

Lesson 101 - use skill and knowledge to make your subjects look skinnier. Taking from different angles can help make your subject look slimmer.

so many suggestions and ideas.... thanks alot...

my reason to post this questions is because, when everytime u are going to TV station to film a show, the lenses will make u look fatter if u are plum when u watch it on TV.... and if u are skinny, u will look "OK" on TV....

and also when u see celebs in real person, they actually look skinnier than the person in TV... tats why u always keep themselves very slim in order to look better in TV...

so, does any lenses or technique will make a person vice-versa???

"wat is PG, TSE ???? "

sorry for long winded question :dunno:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.