Any possibility of salvaging these old filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

eilonwy

Aug 26, 2007
Upper Thomson
My dad just passed me two very old 72mm Hoya filters from his time (1960s).

They're in quite bad condition;
1284000690_44d6aa33b6.jpg

1284000394_737378571e.jpg

I've rubbed them with cleaning cloth, used lens cleaning solution, used lens paper to clean them, but they still look like this.

Any salvation for these two poor old filters?

Leave it as it is and use it as a "Special Effect" filter. The greenish colour makes great effect during chinese seven month :bsmilie:

My dad just passed me two very old 72mm Hoya filters from his time (1960s).

They're in quite bad condition;
1284000690_44d6aa33b6.jpg

1284000394_737378571e.jpg

I've rubbed them with cleaning cloth, used lens cleaning solution, used lens paper to clean them, but they still look like this.

Any salvation for these two poor old filters?

Give it a decent burial...they have served you well long enough. :p

i'd use them as special effect filters as well

Yea they look kinda cool too.
Except that althought it doesn look like fungus, but to be safe i would not put them near my lenses erh ..

ryan

I guess one is the 80 series filter (blue), and one is the X(O) green filter, even you able to restore it, also have little use on digital.

and any filter in this shape, even it is a B+W or singh ray filter, also can throw away liao.

if they were from my parents, i will keep them as keepsakes, regardless of conditions.

I just thought of something...keep them and use them as filter (ends) if you have a few filters that you stack together when you don;t use them on a walk about trip...use each of it at both ends to protect those that are still usable. The stains you see are not fungus any more but the remnants of the damage done to the filter's multi-coats and maybe even the top portion of the glass.

Just another alternative...

Status
Not open for further replies.