Any portable device that actually stores JPEGS to a hardisk for travel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
I'm looking out for device when travelling that allows you to transfer your CF card images to a storage (harddisk). I was thinking of getting another memory card, but honestly.... 2 512mb cards wouldnt suffice. I would think even a 4Gb microdrive wouldnt suffice for a 10day trip. I wouldnt want to risk lugging around my laptop. Is there a solution ? Is there a device out there that settles the problem ? If yes, how much and what issit ?

After you solve the storage problem, you have to look into battery issues...

Xdrive has an external battery pack also (8AAs) :)

say are there places (eg cybercafes) that allow u to transfer your images from CF cards and burn them into a CD? has anybody done that b4?

Geckorian said:
say are there places (eg cybercafes) that allow u to transfer your images from CF cards and burn them into a CD? has anybody done that b4?

possible, you have to check with the local dev lab. It might not be ready for immediate collection

Great!!

Finally a solution to this problem.

Has anyone used them with no issue at all ? Eg image lost, hanging of the system, physical quality of the drives (buttons jamming, card reading problems etc ) ?

They do look abit dodgy, but of course, that doesnt matter if it works well.

I own a Nixvue Digital Album Lite (40Gb). I must say that I'm a very satisfied customer.

To the computer, u just use it like any other USB gadget and treat it so. I've no problems with it so far.

hmmm... i heard the download speed from card is quite bad? :dunno:

It does take quite a bit of time to transfer files from the CF card to the hard disk.

I mostly run my Image Tank off the mains power supply, rather than using batteries. I carry the adaptor around - it's lighter than the batteries! Can also use the car cigarette lighter to do it if there is no electrical supply available. I continue shooting with a back-up CF card while the contents of the first CF card is being transferred to the hard disk. Takes about 15 min for 1GB.

So far I've not lost any files (2 holidays - Korea and Tasmania + a few event shoots).

The Nixvue DA2 takes about 5mins for a 512mb to transfer. I've tested both the DA2 and the XDrive Pro and found that the DA2 was much faster.

How bout an iPod with one of those Belkin media adapters? becomes a music player cum storage devide in one. quite cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.