Any plances can snap photo without license in Singapore?

D

Druck

Hello, I'm a photographer from Malaysia, we are in group and have interest and fun of snapping photos.

We are planning to snap portrait photos in Singapore and we will come together with a few models.

Could you kindly let me know is there any places in Singapore no need license to snap photos?

Kindly Advise,

Thanks and Best regard.

Hello, I'm a photographer from Malaysia, we are in group and have interest and fun of snapping photos.

We are planning to snap portrait photos in Singapore and we will come together with a few models.

Could you kindly let me know is there any places in Singapore no need license to snap photos?

Kindly Advise,

Thanks and Best regard.

Kindly Advise,

Thanks and Best regard.

most of the gardens and parks here don't need to use any permit, but most indoor will need to request a permission to shoot inside

From my experience, I had been chased away by 4 security guards during a night shooting for a car.

I was at a back alley between Cecil St and Robinson Rd. The reason that the security guards gave us for wanting us to leave is they claimed that we are at a back door of a bank and they said that they will need to take down our particulars.:sweat:

This is where I got chased away:http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m510/chillicutter/?action=view&current=DSC_0071.jpg

So my advice is stay away from:
1. Banks :bsmilie:
2. Government Buildings e.g The Parliament

The rest I think should be fine.:)

Last edited:
second that from chillicutter... happen to me before :bsmilie:

clarke quay / boat quay / merchant sq is fine as well... just try to be early before shops/restaurant open... :)

remember to post some pictures in CS as well ya :)

Don't need anything anywhere

not really, some places like shopping centres prohibit people from taking photos inside. Outdoors are usually fine, but when you are inside a building, you could be chased away by security and be asked to delete your photos.
TS, you could try places places of interests such as Chinese Gardens, Punggol Beach and even at the area outside the Esplanade.

avoid Esplanade as well, if the security guard saw few people with "high tech" camera + flash + light stand + beautiful model, they usually will ask for the permit.

avoid Esplanade as well, if the security guard saw few people with "high tech" camera + flash + light stand + beautiful model, they usually will ask for the permit.

Actually its ok to enter the esplanade with cameras and equipments. Its only when you start to take pictures within the building itself, the security officers will approach you. Shooting outside in the open is fine. If need be, just explain your intentions politely, after all they are just following instructions and doing their job. If they still insist that you can't shoot then be a gentlemen to apologize and pack up. :)

Last edited:
Not allowed to snap photos near government buildings actually. Security issues.

Most likely you will be fine Shooting but some Tips

Don't obstruct Pavements or Walkways which will be asked to moved or leave
If you are indoors try not to get noisy or loud
Do some research first on Human Traffic in the area to avoid Problems

Kindly Advise,

Thanks and Best regard.

go to public places like park, garden,

u can take pics in esplanade provided u don't use off camera flash ... i did one shoot there and the sec guard came and tell me that off camera flash is not allowed. but he say i am allowed to shoot w/o those. so it is still a nice gesture from them really.

fort canning park is public place, u can also go to sentosa..

Kindly Advise,

Thanks and Best regard.

Many,

Botanic Gardens, most reservoir parks, void decks, bus stops, wide open spaces in Punggol (slowly dwindling).

Really don't know what backdrop you want, maybe if you are more specific it will be easier.

I'm sure the same applies for Malaysia, or did you think Singapore everywhere also cannot photograph?

go to public places like park, garden,

u can take pics in esplanade provided u don't use off camera flash ... i did one shoot there and the sec guard came and tell me that off camera flash is not allowed. but he say i am allowed to shoot w/o those. so it is still a nice gesture from them really.

fort canning park is public place, u can also go to sentosa..

huh? Can't shoot at esplanade without flash? :confused:

huh? Can't shoot at esplanade without flash? :confused:

no. they allow u to use your on-camera flash, but if u want to do strobbist way, they want u to apply for permit.

but i must say they are already very very kind in this respect. other building will just ask u to go away, be it on or off camera flash, got flash , no flash ... they dun care, just get out and shoot else where..

Actually its ok to enter the esplanade with cameras and equipments. Its only when you start to take pictures within the building itself, the security officers will approach you. Shooting outside in the open is fine. If need be, just explain your intentions politely, after all they are just following instructions and doing their job. If they still insist that you can't shoot then be a gentlemen to apologize and pack up. :)

nope you can't, if you look like a "Professional", even it's outside, as long as you're within Esplanade perimeter. They will ask you for the permit from the management.

camera only is fine, but once you pull out umbrella, light, etc, they will consider you as a "professional" which shoots for a commercial purpose, no matter what excuse you gave.

last time it happened on one of the photo shoot here :)

i guess if you act like tourist, or shooting 1-1, shouldn't be a problem , but if many photographers come & shoots few models, they usually will check for the permit.

nope you can't, if you look like a "Professional", even it's outside, as long as you're within Esplanade perimeter. They will ask you for the permit from the management.

I apologize for not being clear in my previous post, what i meant by equipment would just include a camera and simple setup like a tripod/monopod. Setting up umbrellas/softboxes and lights are way too elaborate to be not be considered "professional". In fact you'd expect to run into problems shooting within the perimeters of commercial/private areas almost EVERYTIME with this kind of setup if you don't have a permit. :)

any outdoor place that is not near army camps or sensitive buildings like embassys