Any place to shoot starry nites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you are asking for the sky ...
literally :bsmilie:

where are you located in this universe?
singapore is not the good place to do this as there is too much cloud.
travel north or south, summer is best (summer = dry = no rain = no cloud)
try australia outback (desert). At night (it is cold) in summer, in the desert (not many people, not many house, not near city - it is dark so it is good), when the sky is clear, you can take star trail shots. Use normal landscape lense like 12 mm or below. Make sure your camera can handle the cold, and your battery is fully charged cos shot like this takes ... HOURS (bulb mode).
http://images.google.com.sg/images?q=star trail photos
I never taken this, have not been lucky to be close to desert.

If you are looking for nebula shots then you are in the wrong forum, go to singastro.org and they can teach you. You might end up buying a hubble telescope :D
That is another BBB virus, close to photography but with more powerful set of lense and mirrors, and tracking mechanism (you need to track the star) or else the will become trail like above.

Last edited:
And remember to read up on the guides in the Night Photography forum.

it all depends on the time on the yr. but if u want to locate the north star to create a circular trail, it is quite unlikely in Singapore.
here are some samples, but there are better ones out there in Night Photography section. :)

closest I have in singapore is http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3508/3215901794_758364e0cf_o.jpg (60 images stacked, each 1 min exposure)

and if you want a static one, this is from malaysia, http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/3089847480_c6f48e6a5f_o.jpg :)

recently, sky hasn't been the most optimal for shooting stars.

IMO, Singapore is rubbish for shooting "starry nites" TOO BRIGHT! Clouds is not so much of a problem as it gives interesting perspective but lights from the city literally kills the star lights.

Malaysia maybe but not optimum. Maybe if you can go to the Tibetan plateau, you might just be able to see part of the Milky way formation...:bsmilie: but of course that is taking it to the extreme.

I read of a town in New Zealand that purposely reduce their light output at night so that the night sky can be viewed in its full glory and they are trying to attain some sort of Heritage status for that. Forgot the name of that town though.

wow..i'm not so feverish as to shoot the milky way or stuffs. hmm...star trails are interesting but i dont think they look nice? haa..

i do remember i'd seen the sky with lots of stars before in sg. but then, thats quite some time back and i dont remember where.

i'm looking for more to something like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/paszczak000/3357018105/in/set-72157600461041877/

say, if we use those sky telescopes for land shots, we'll be able to shoot across the seas? :think:

Never try starry night kind of shoot in Singapore before... But you can try areas around LCK/Sarimbun area.. thats 1 of the better place in Singapore that i could get a good view of the night sky with all the stars.. even so, there's still light pollution from Johor...

Singapore is not a good place to shoot stars, been to rural NZ once... it was stunning! but didn't pack my camera & lens along then! :(

Taken from my hotel balcony.
Using 100 shots with 1 min exposure per shot.
Not sure when that airplane trail came into my frame... :sweat:

Startrails1_Perth800.jpg

Taken from my hotel balcony.
Using 100 shots with 1 min exposure per shot.
Not sure when that airplane trail came into my frame... :sweat:

Startrails1_Perth800.jpg

Which program did you use to combine all those shots together?

Any island offshore Malaysia can give you already a very nice sky. I remember when I was at Perhentian with friends. They were stunned by the sky there. And since there are just a few bungalows it's easy to find a dark spot at the beach without stray light. Milky Way was great!

Singapore? dont bother.. U will NEVER Get any starry pics.. I tried that out so many times.. Coz its either cloudy.. Too much light from nearby buildings.. or that the stars doesnt shine in sg.. :(the most u can get is the moon.. I also want to take starry night pictures!! :D

Singapore? dont bother.. U will NEVER Get any starry pics.. I tried that out so many times.. Coz its either cloudy.. Too much light from nearby buildings.. or that the stars doesnt shine in sg.. :(the most u can get is the moon.. I also want to take starry night pictures!! :D

You're right but not about the clouds and stars not shining brightly..:bsmilie: the stars and clouds will remain the same throughout the ages. So therefore by elimination, only left lights. Singapore is heavily polluted by lights. Read more about light pollution at http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/11/light-pollution/klinkenborg-text

As mentioned, its hard to shoot starry skies in Singapore as the surroundings are too bright.
Just cup your hands and shield your eyes while looking up, you usually can see an appreciable difference. Your best bet is to find an big open field or deserted stretch of beach.

I was in Australia one night in a drop zone, it was a half an hour drive to any civilization, when I looked up at the sky....:bigeyes:

As mentioned, its hard to shoot starry skies in Singapore as the surroundings are too bright.
Just cup your hands and shield your eyes while looking up, you usually can see an appreciable difference. Your best bet is to find an big open field or deserted stretch of beach.

I was in Australia one night in a drop zone, it was a half an hour drive to any civilization, when I looked up at the sky....:bigeyes:

I agree.. I went to Australia for the first time and I was starstruck by the amount of stars and their brightness.. The sky was awesome really.. :)

I think it doesn't necessarily has to do with too many lights. I was living in Osaka where i can see the whole city from where i was, but when i looked up at the sky.. O_O;; It was sooo clear....!! People say pollution is bad in osaka, but i think singapore should be worse...especially jurong area...or perhaps the atmosphere is different :p At most I can see only 3 or 4 stars...but in osaka....maybe 300-400?

They say a person with naked eye can see around 6,000 starts when the sky is clear. I guess there is only one occasion when Singaporeans can see so many stars.. around National Day :bsmilie:

I think it doesn't necessarily has to do with too many lights. I was living in Osaka where i can see the whole city from where i was, but when i looked up at the sky.. O_O;; It was sooo clear....!! People say pollution is bad in osaka, but i think singapore should be worse...especially jurong area...or perhaps the atmosphere is different :p At most I can see only 3 or 4 stars...but in osaka....maybe 300-400?

it is bad in sg because sg is in the tropics, lots of cloud.

we are talking about light pollution meaning at night it is too bright. ambient light cause your pupil to close off, making faint light from star difficult to enter and recognised by your eyes.
But however if you camp at night in lim chu kang for example, say at about 3 or 4 am, I think you can see star. If not then see ghost. :bsmilie:

it is bad in sg because sg is in the tropics, lots of cloud.

we are talking about light pollution meaning at night it is too bright. ambient light cause your pupil to close off, making faint light from star difficult to enter and recognised by your eyes.
But however if you camp at night in lim chu kang for example, say at about 3 or 4 am, I think you can see star. If not then see ghost. :bsmilie:

lol.. i rather see the stars then see ghost.. at least i can take photos of the stars.. :D

yep, light from the surroundings in sg is really bright, and its really cloudy.. hmmm.. waiting for 28th march. See if the people in my area will really switch off the lights.. and see the gov will switch off the lights in sg too!! Coz i rmb that time my area kena black out.. damn nice!! I could see a lot of stars!!:D But that was the only time..:cry:

lol.. i rather see the stars then see ghost.. at least i can take photos of the stars.. :D

yep, light from the surroundings in sg is really bright, and its really cloudy.. hmmm.. waiting for 28th march. See if the people in my area will really switch off the lights.. and see the gov will switch off the lights in sg too!! Coz i rmb that time my area kena black out.. damn nice!! I could see a lot of stars!!:D But that was the only time..:cry:

you can pray for blackout that happen once ... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.