any pictures with your R-D1s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peanutss

Jul 10, 2009
I am new to photography and i've recently managed to get my hands on a R-Ds1. I have no idea what kind of pictures to take with the camera and any help at all would greatly be appriciated.

Here's what i do know:
it's a rangefinder. I know how different rangefinders are from slrs.

A bit more info here:

No auto
No auto focus
No speed priority
No scene mode
Exposure control: Aperture priority auto+manual
Image format: JPEG+RAW
LCD does'nt work as view finder
Leica lens won't produce good result with APS-size CCD
Almost like a digital M3

Suggest you start taking pictures with Aperture Priority Auto. It's not a camera for beginners.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0403/04031101epsonrd1.asp

Last edited:

what does this mean? i am using a leica lens, but i dont even know what it is.
it reads leica elmarit-m 1:2.8/21

i did notice my pictures had dark edges at the right and left

very nice. THANK YOU.

what does this mean? i am using a leica lens, but i dont even know what it is.
it reads leica elmarit-m 1:2.8/21

i did notice my pictures had dark edges at the right and left

The leica lens are design for full frame format (35mm).

The original lens is a Voigtlander-Cosina if I remember correctly.

The leica lens are design for full frame format (35mm).

I have a different opinion to this, the argument is valid if you are comparing a fullframe film vs digital camera as the incident light is more critical on a digital sensor, whereas film is more tolerent. This affects the corners and edge most.

On a digital sensor, an APS-C is actually better since you are removing this issue. The first iteration of digital M is 1.3 crop, partly due to the inability to optimize the issue with the stated (dispite processor algorithm to counter the corner issue). With the APS-C, you are only getting the sweet spot of the image circle from a 35mm lenses.

I have a different opinion to this, the argument is valid if you are comparing a fullframe film vs digital camera as the incident light is more critical on a digital sensor, whereas film is more tolerent. This affects the corners and edge most.

On a digital sensor, an APS-C is actually better since you are removing this issue. The first iteration of digital M is 1.3 crop, partly due to the inability to optimize the issue with the stated (dispite processor algorithm to counter the corner issue). With the APS-C, you are only getting the sweet spot of the image circle from a 35mm lenses.

You are right, a smaller sensor does use the "sweet spot" of the lens. I suppose you'll have to carry a little more weight in comparison to an original lens design for the smaller sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.