Any one tried Samyang 85mm F1.4 with a 1.4x Teleconverter (Nikon TC-14E II)?

sojourn88

May 9, 2003
Bukit Panjang
i was just pondering .. any one tried this combination Samyang 85mm F1.4 with a 1.4x Teleconverter (Nikon TC-14E II).
it would be a effective 119mm F2 and if considering the crop factor of 1.5x of a DX camera it would appears to be a 178mm F2! thats one stop faster than an 80-200 f2.8.
any one with this combination to share how this performs, especially on the bokeh side and handling side.

i was just pondering .. any one tried this combination Samyang 85mm F1.4 with a 1.4x Teleconverter (Nikon TC-14E II).
it would be a effective 119mm F2 and if considering the crop factor of 1.5x of a DX camera it would appears to be a 178mm F2! thats one stop faster than an 80-200 f2.8.
any one with this combination to share how this performs, especially on the bokeh side and handling side.

Haven't tried that. But do know that it will be fully MF.

its already a manual lens.. i use the 135 f2 AIS. fantastic IQ, and a stop brighter than the 80-200. it saw more use than the 80-200 cos it was smaller, faster, and had better IQ. i ve since traded the 80-200 for an 85 1.8 and 180 2.8. both are fantastic lenses.

yes it is manual focus. i am aware.

sojourn88 said:
yes it is manual focus. i am aware.

So a lot depends on your intended use. If for hobby, it might be ok. But if for paid work or shooting moments, the thin dof will give you lots of problems with speed of operation.

The lens also do not work well stopped down.

The excellent sigma 85/1.4 HSM is now going for less than $1100 grey in one of the famous parallel importers. So you need to look at your needs and options.

So a lot depends on your intended use. If for hobby, it might be ok. But if for paid work or shooting moments, the thin dof will give you lots of problems with speed of operation.

The lens also do not work well stopped down.

The excellent sigma 85/1.4 HSM is now going for less than $1100 grey in one of the famous parallel importers. So you need to look at your needs and options.

nice, thanks for the reminder too.