Any one know the thickness of the following filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tt688

Nov 27, 2004
groups.yahoo.com
I cannot find out spec's from their web site.:cry:

1. Hoya Pro 1 Digital CPL
2. Hoya Pro 1 Digital UV
3. Hoya Pro 1 Digital ND

4. B+W MRC UV
5. B+W MRC UV Slim
6. B+W MRC CPL
7. B+W MRC CPL Slim

thanks.

why u need these specs?

Because the thinner the filter the better.

just get the slim filter will do.

I did some simple test using normal B+W MRC and Hoya pro1 UV with 16-35L, in terms of viginetting, the outcome is almost same, although hoya claim it is 3mm only.

Frustrated!!!:angry:

BTW, which shop sell Hoya Pro 1 Digital CPL? and how much?

I did some simple test using normal B+W MRC and Hoya pro1 UV with 16-35L, in terms of viginetting, the outcome is almost same, although hoya claim it is 3mm only.

IIRC, the slim filter is just slim on the filter ring.

another one is the filter for ultra wide angle lens, the filter ring is bigger in diameter, so will not cause vignetting, but only for CPL filter

you can go to the shop to test out, the shop should able to understand this.

2. Hoya Pro 1 Digital UV
3. Hoya Pro 1 Digital ND

4. B+W MRC UV about 4mm
5. B+W MRC UV Slim
6. B+W MRC CPL about 6.5mm
7. B+W MRC CPL Slim

Let me know if you need more accurate measurements. :)

I cannot find out spec's from their web site.:cry:

2. Hoya Pro 1 Digital UV
3. Hoya Pro 1 Digital ND

4. B+W MRC UV
5. B+W MRC UV Slim
6. B+W MRC CPL
7. B+W MRC CPL Slim

thanks.

The glass or the rim? ;p

2. Hoya Pro 1 Digital UV about 3mm hear say only
3. Hoya Pro 1 Digital ND

4. B+W MRC UV about 4mm
5. B+W MRC UV Slim
6. B+W MRC CPL about 6.5mm
7. B+W MRC CPL Slim

Let me know if you need more accurate measurements. :)

Hoya Pro1 digital UV, 3mm ( hear say only )

By the way guys, how well does a step up ring work to reduce vignetting?

By the way guys, how well does a step up ring work to reduce vignetting?
you can try, but if you are using 77mm lens, you are dead buying 82mm or bigger filter. :bsmilie:

anyway I believe the 3mm for Hoya is the glass and not the rim (don think the rim is as thin as 3mm), does the glass even affect vignette? :dunno:

for those interested in getting CPL, try Marumi DHG, the CPL is as thin as Hoya normal UV or Nikon CPL II but at 1/2 the cost or so. Additionally it include a front thread as well.

you can try, but if you are using 77mm lens, you are dead buying 82mm or bigger filter. :bsmilie:

Nah I'm using 67mm, so I was thinking of using a 67-77 step up :) I suspect if I stack a CPL over the current UV guard I'm gonna get vignetting..

anyway I believe the 3mm for Hoya is the glass and not the rim (don think the rim is as thin as 3mm), does the glass even affect vignette? :dunno:

for those interested in getting CPL, try Marumi DHG, the CPL is as thin as Hoya normal UV or Nikon CPL II but at 1/2 the cost or so. Additionally it include a front thread as well.

hi ExplorerZ, you are right, the 3mm refer to the glass only.

I am interested to get the Marumi DHG to try out, saw the item at ebay and it is quite cheap comparing to Nikon CPL II. Have you use this Marumi DHG CPL before, is the quality good ? Hows the performance comparing to the HOYA ones... My lens is 82mm and is very very sharp, really do not wish to compromise the sharpness after getting the sky intensity lowered.

IIRC, the slim filter is just slim on the filter ring.

another one is the filter for ultra wide angle lens, the filter ring is bigger in diameter, so will not cause vignetting, but only for CPL filter

you can go to the shop to test out, the shop should able to understand this.

First time to heard, how it works?
B+W or other brand?

Nah I'm using 67mm, so I was thinking of using a 67-77 step up :) I suspect if I stack a CPL over the current UV guard I'm gonna get vignetting..

it should be ok if your lens is not a wide angle and you are not using FF camera.
I used 77mm B+W MRC CPL with 77-67 for 70-200/4L before.

hi ExplorerZ, you are right, the 3mm refer to the glass only.

I am interested to get the Marumi DHG to try out, saw the item at ebay and it is quite cheap comparing to Nikon CPL II. Have you use this Marumi DHG CPL before, is the quality good ? Hows the performance comparing to the HOYA ones... My lens is 82mm and is very very sharp, really do not wish to compromise the sharpness after getting the sky intensity lowered.
quality is at least as good as hoya HMC if not better, but much easier to clean. :bsmilie: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

have been using it for a while, know it thru some of the CSer as well

BTW, which shop sell Hoya Pro 1 Digital CPL? and how much?

Check with MS color, I think should be in the region of $180-190.

For UV, I will still go back to B+W after I did the test using Hoya pro1 (3mm) and B+W MRC (4mm), and I donot see the difference.
For CPL, Still thinking, no sure how big the impact is between hoya (5mm) and B+W (7.5mm)
thanks again for your help.

Hoya Pro1 digital UV, 3mm ( hear say only )
I have a piece of 77mm Pro1 Digital MC protector. The rim extends 4mm from the lens barrel edge (ie, not including rear thread, too lazy to take out from lens to measure, but that's probably only about another mm or thereabouts). ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.