Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

NooberGoober

Dec 7, 2009
Am kinda looking for a "Do it all" lens with zoom (18 to XX mm), VR and fixed aperture of f2.8.

Is there anything like that?

I kinda like the 18-XXmm lenses with VR but they are all f3.5-5.6.

17-55mm f2.8 also seems nice but no VR.

24-70mm f2.8 is cool but near $3k and no VR....

I know VR kinda more useful for longer zooms, but I think it would help me cuz I don't seem to have exceptionally steady hands.

Is there any nice wide zoom lens (18-24mm to XXmm) with VR and fixed aperture?

where to find 'The One' lens which is cheap, good and fast?
If u happen to find one, let me know too.

.... looking for a "Do it all" lens with zoom (18 to XX mm), VR and fixed aperture of f2.8. Is there anything like that? .... Is there any nice wide zoom lens (18-24mm to XXmm) with VR and fixed aperture?

You may check up the following 3rd party lenses fulfilling your requirements
-- Tamron SP AF17-50mm/2.8 XR VC Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
-- Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM (subjected to availability in Singapore)

Agree with the above.
Currently only Tamron and Sigma offers 17~18-50mm f/2.8 with VR.
Non from nikkor.

18-200 f2.8 and stabilised...

the size of the lens barrel alone will make any security man nervous.

actually...if ignore the need for 2.8, i would say the Canon 28-300L is one of the most flexible telephoto zoom around. Is there a Nikon version?

You may check up the following 3rd party lenses fulfilling your requirements
-- Tamron SP AF17-50mm/2.8 XR VC Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
-- Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM (subjected to availability in Singapore)

Thank you, that is most useful.

Maybe I will sell my D40 kit lens and 35mm F1.8 (since I hardly shoot below 2.8 anyway) and top-up to get the Tamron... one lens to rule them all! (Except for far zoom of course)

*Add : Wow, almost $1k for the VC 17-50.. quite a lot to top up :D

Will prob get it then wait for Nikkor to come out with an AF-S 18-200mm VR f2.8 :lovegrin:

Last edited:
Am kinda looking for a "Do it all" lens with zoom (18 to XX mm), VR and fixed aperture of f2.8.

I know VR kinda more useful for longer zooms, but I think it would help me cuz I don't seem to have exceptionally steady hands.

I can only think of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC
and the Nikon 16-35/4 VR (Significantly more expensive! :) For full frame)

sorry, my lens knowledge is limited...

I quite on about the Tamron liao but read that its super noisy and stuff.... Might have to try out first :D Cuz not accurate to listen from Youtube!

Not that it REALLY matters, but sometimes I shoot food (for fun) at quiet restaurants and I guess it would be rude to have an airplane taking off... lol

Yup. The one you are looking for is the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC. Less than $1k too.

BTW, if you are using cropped sensor, 24mm is no longer considered "wide"

I quite on about the Tamron liao but read that its super noisy and stuff.... Might have to try out first :D Cuz not accurate to listen from Youtube!

Not that it REALLY matters, but sometimes I shoot food (for fun) at quiet restaurants and I guess it would be rude to have an airplane taking off... lol

It is not that loud la. The beep from the focus confirmation is a lot louder than the Tamron focus sound.

Thank you, that is most useful.

Maybe I will sell my D40 kit lens and 35mm F1.8 (since I hardly shoot below 2.8 anyway) and top-up to get the Tamron... one lens to rule them all! (Except for far zoom of course)

*Add : Wow, almost $1k for the VC 17-50.. quite a lot to top up :D

Will prob get it then wait for Nikkor to come out with an AF-S 18-200mm VR f2.8 :lovegrin:

The point about a F1.8 lens is not to shoot it at 1.8 all the time. Having F1.8 maximum aperture will mean you get the sweet spot around F2 - F2.8. Do you think all F2.8 lenses are sharpest at F2.8?

And the 18-200/2.8 will NEVER happen. Such a lens will be super complex to build (if even possible), And the lens will be huge, bigger than the 70-200/2.8. And it will be a lot more expensive too. So, super expensive, super big, super heavy - who will buy it?

If I were cash strapped like you, I would dump th VC. There is really no real need for VC for a fast zoom with that short a focal length. I am using the non-VC version myself.

Last edited:

Nope.. 17-50mm f2.8 comes with VC (Nikon VR equalivent) if u really need VR and fixed aperture

airplane taking off??
No la... nowhere near as loud. If an airplane took off inside the restaurant, all the glass would shatter! :)

I think most restaurant chatter (from fellow patrons) is louder than the Tammy's motor. The photog hears it loudest coz the darn motor is inches from his/her face :)

The point about a F1.8 lens is not to shoot it at 1.8 all the time. Having F1.8 maximum aperture will mean you get the sweet spot around F2 - F2.8. Do you think all F2.8 lenses are sharpest at F2.8?

And the 18-200/2.8 will NEVER happen. Such a lens will be super complex to build (if even possible), And the lens will be huge, bigger than the 70-200/2.8. And it will be a lot more expensive too. So, super expensive, super big, super heavy - who will buy it?

If I were cash strapped like you, I would dump th VC. There is really no real need for VC for a fast zoom with that short a focal length. I am using the non-VC version myself.

Good points, bro! Thanks for enlightening.