Any NEC LCD Monitor Users Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wstam

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

I will like to check with those using NEC LCD monitors. Do you use the SpetraView calibration software/kits? Where do you get them? Else what do you use to calibrate the monitors?

Mime is LCD 2490WUXi monitor. Still thinking about the calibration stratery.

Thanks...

hi,

Did you manage to calibrate ur monitor? Any comments on the NEC monitors?

Been thinking of getting the 2090uxi or the 2070nx. Still cant decide.

CHeers

NEC monitors using the IPS panels (the WUXi series) are top notch in quality, rivaling professional panels of EIZO. From my research online they are even rated above the aging ACDs in color reproduction and accuracy. IMO, they are superb for digital photo works and pretty capable even for games. I wanted to buy the 24" version during the ITSHOW but NEC wasn't selling them during the show..finally settled for Dell 24 Ultrasharp instead because it was selling really cheap then..I've seen a calibrated Dell ultrasharp against the NEC WUXi, color reproduction wise looks similar from my untrained eyes, but colorshift on the dell is CMI, due to the inherent characteristic of PVA panel of the dell. NEC exhibit no, if not, very little color shift even when viewed from a broad angle. Got $$ go for IPS panels, no $$ go for PVA else smaller IPS panels. Oh yeah, remember to profile the new monitor with a good colorimeter package.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Was wondering if the 2090uxi requires the Spetraview software to calibrate the monitor. If the software comes separately then the cost will be higher. Else would make do with the 2070NX.

Software calibration CMI!..If u r using a highend monitor, why not get a proper hardware profiling package..Unless you are telling me the software calibrator adjust the white point, color balance, brightness and contrast, of the hardware like we manually do in the OSD of the monitor...in that case it is really calibrating the monitor and not profiling it. i doubt so. if you want to software profile your monitor, there are so many freebies online using ur EYES to profile.

Thanks for the reply.

What i meant was seems that the 2090uxi needs the spetraview software to work with a hardware calibrator. I am currently using a Eye 1 display.

Not too sure how it works but from what i read, the software + calibrator with profile/calibrate the 12 bit LUT in the LCD and not the graphics card. And it will give a more accurate color. Too cheem for me now.

Will try to check for some prices 1st.

Er, care to share with us where one can buy a NEC LCD2490wuxi in Singapore? And if you don't mind sharing, what was the price? They go for about US$1050 online in the US, but shipping costs are ridiculously high...

hi,

Did you manage to calibrate ur monitor? Any comments on the NEC monitors?

Been thinking of getting the 2090uxi or the 2070nx. Still cant decide.

CHeers

hi dreamseeker,

sorry for replying late. haven't come to this forum for a while.

I have been using my 2490wuxi for abt 6 months. have not calibrated it yet. just use the sRGB setting. so far so good. love the monitor.

I bought the i1 display2 2 months back. but the spectraview software was out of stock. it's only available in US. It was just avaliable again last week. Got my US colleague to buy it. So it's on it's way to SG. Only nec software adjust the monitor internal LUT. But don't understand why nec doesn't offer it for worldwide. The nec US sites only bill and ship to US address. :dunno:

Do you use i1 display2 too? I found the software on their CD very old. When I tried to download from their web, it kept timing out :( Do you just install the software from CD?

Tks. Will let u know after I get hold of the nec software and try it.

Hi wstam,

I downloaded a newer version of the eye1 software from their website long time ago. Not sure if there is any newer version.

What i have been reading on the internet is like what you said about the nec spectraview software. It adjust the monitor internal LUT. If it is hard to get my hand on that software, I might as well drop the idea of the 2090uxi n get the 2070nx.

Waiting to hear your results.

hi dreamseeker,

my US colleague email me the serial no of my NEC spectraview software so that I can go ahead to install it as I can download the software from their site. Love the calibrated result. :thumbsup: The darkest seems to be darker than before calibration (using built-in sRGB mode). Very natural yet brilliant colour. However I can't said if this is the best as I have never use any other LCD monitor for photo editing before. My previous monitor is Sony high-end CRT. I can only say no regret in switching from CRT to LCD.

The NEC software is so easy to use. It in fact cames with eye1 display2 drivers so I don't need to install anything from eye1. Just a few clicks the the calibration is done. So much easy than when I was using eye1 (display1) on CRT.

Again, I don't understand why NEC doesn't offer this software worldwide :dunno:

Another key advantage of IPS panel is that the colour and brightness remain as one views from almost angle.

Hope these help.... Good luck.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.