Any multipurpose lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkydonkey

May 29, 2006
Is there a lens that can be used for event photography which is considered a multipurpose lens where I can go wide enough to cover a group photo as well as close enough to get some decent telephoto shots?

What do you guys think of something like this EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM ? Does 'L' make a big difference with the shots?

Unless you're using a Full Frame camera, or else the 28mm end might not be wide enough for a group shot.

For the wide end, consider something in the 14-18 range. If you happen to be on a full-frame DSLR, then maybe something in the 24-28 range. Tele end, guess it's up to you how far you want to go and your budget. Lenses with big focal length range usually compromise at some level (aperture range/distortion), or are very expensive. :) As to whether the 'L' makes a difference, it depends on how often you find yourself in situations that push the physics of photography to the limits. Hmm.. actually, you will kind of "know" when you need the extra the 'L' lens can give you.

midicity said:
Unless you're using a Full Frame camera, or else the 28mm end might not be wide enough for a group shot.

hmm...I guess my Canon 350D is not a full frame camera coz I didnt really know the difference :embrass: and when I looked it up there was no mention.

funkydonkey said:
hmm...I guess my Canon 350D is not a full frame camera coz I didnt really know the difference :embrass: and when I looked it up there was no mention.
You can change to full frame, 5D. and use canon 28-135.
one lens will fit all.
save time on changing lenses.

no need to change to full frame lah ... just stand very far away from the subjects when taking group pictures...hehehe

funkydonkey said:

I have the same camera. 350D is a 1.6x crop, like the 30D.

I suggest getting either the sigma 18-50 f2.8 or Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS USM, depending on your budget. Some might suggest the Canon 17-85 IS.

F2.8 is useful for DOF portraits and indoor shots. IS is real handy for situations when u can't setup a tripod.

I think for general use, 17 or 18 mm is wide enough for group shots. For the tele end, will depend on your needs

ianpaice said:
no need to change to full frame lah ... just stand very far away from the subjects when taking group pictures...hehehe

Hello Mr Ian Paice....how do u shoot the full band(deep purple) sitting behind ur drum kit without a wide lens ah?? hehee.think about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.