Any Mid-Range Ring Flash to recommend?

vanillaBean

Mar 18, 2010
for close up shots of objects and some portraits...some help pls. thks!

Last edited:
pricetag sure looks tempting compared to canon's MR-14EX..will go check it out! Thanks!! :D

eeeks. isn't the orbis ringflash cheaper? or are these 2 totally different things?

pardon my noobness.

No lar bro,TS wants a "RING" Flash and "MID RANGE" mah... Somemore he canon user leh ;p

I remember a clubsnap member from Indonesia who uses 8x SB-R200 to make a ring flash to use with his D3. Also not considered mid-ranged? :bsmilie:

Oops. He didn't mention that in his first post. Hmmm...

I remember a clubsnap member from Indonesia who uses 8x SB-R200 to make a ring flash to use with his D3. Also not considered mid-ranged? :bsmilie:

errr that time I use 3 R2 to flash the bug already over-expose..... think the bug already go blind... :sweat:..... he use 8...... wah...... :bigeyes:

Numnumball, aspenx, thanks bros!! hehe..yepp...canon newbie user here;) sorry, if i failed to mention earlier...

fibredrive, thanks for the recommendation! eh, i have no idea either... time to do some serious research :)

pricetag sure looks tempting compared to canon's MR-14EX..will go check it out! Thanks!! :D

well, i asked this question last week too. apparently there's very little option locally, unless you want to count those countless LED ring light, or rayflash (and all those wannabe) ring flash adapters. the only viable option is the sigma, but in most places that i've checked, you have to place an order b4 anyone will want to ship it (close to $700 for the flash). also, you need to check your lens' filter diameter cos the sigma flash only comes with the 55mm and 58mm rings. you have to order from sigma for other sizes. about $20-ish a ring....

counting all the costs... i think you are better off with the canon flash.

for close up shots of objects and some portraits...some help pls. thks!

u have to choose either not both.

A ring flash for macro have limited coverage and flash distance. A ring flash for portrait will be useless for macro as the light source will be covered by the hood, ring flash cover, etc, and last but not least, bulky setup.

errr that time I use 3 R2 to flash the bug already over-expose..... think the bug already go blind... :sweat:..... he use 8...... wah...... :bigeyes:

lolz.. i still waiting for my spare unit of SB-R200 to arrive.. Dun scare me leh bro, Bugs dont go blind easily one lar..:bsmilie:

Solid :thumbsup:
But i think i remember seeing someone use it for portraiture :think:

nightwolf75, you have a point i will need a 67mm ring if i get the sigma... $$$ kinda even out the cost with a canon. hmmm, i will have to ponder deeply on this...thanks for the advice! :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt, i get ur drift...more of closeup on objects i would say and perferably not too bulky setup. thanks! :)

nightwolf75, you have a point i will need a 67mm ring if i get the sigma... $$$ kinda even out the cost with a canon. hmmm, i will have to ponder deeply on this...thanks for the advice! :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt, i get ur drift...more of closeup on objects i would say and perferably not too bulky setup. thanks! :)

not sure about your budget, but i think if just for 'playing' can just get a suntax or forget what brand ones, those with thyristor flash or LED. think should be less than 100. after that, upgrade to a better unit.

not sure about your budget, but i think if just for 'playing' can just get a suntax or forget what brand ones, those with thyristor flash or LED. think should be less than 100. after that, upgrade to a better unit.

yes sir! cant help it though.... i think i got infected by the BBB virus. :sweatsm:

the last thing you'll have to worry is about them being blind, cos most of them don't really have eyes to see...

but might get fried thou.

That didnt crossed my mind..lolz... Think for the time being, i just contented with 2 :bsmilie:

Solid :thumbsup:
But i think i remember seeing someone use it for portraiture :think:

Yah. It was for portraits.

3 SB-R200 sounds good... Then again, I don't even know what I shoot...

TS might want to consider DIY also perhaps? Like cutting a milk bottle to attach to the flash unit or something. Have seen a DIY for more traditional ring flash also, but it looks very tedious...