Northland
dudes

I ve a 'problem' .... dvd drive was changed not too long ago

Last night, my Powerbook failed to detect the drive :sweat:

what could have happened , ah ?

What can I do to determine whether the drive when 'kaput' AGAIN ??? :confused:

Seek Apple customer 'service'? :dunno:

thanks... that was my last resort :)

I was just wondering ..... how can such things happen when it was working fine just a couple of days ago ? .... I did the detection test on the Powerbook but no drive was found :think: .... so strange

I did some software update .... could this be the 'problem' ?

You're using a drive that's known to the driver? Matsushita/Panasonic and Pioneer are the only brands of drives Apple has been using in Macs.

It's unlikely that a software update would stop the drive from being seen unless it was some firmware update to the Open Firmware.

What does it say in System Profiler, anything?

yupp... i was afraid of the 'open firmware' thingy too

i googled my 'problem' and noticed that i was not the only one facing such problem

haiiz.... I ve tried .... reset-nvram and reset-all BUT... no use :sweat:

I had something happen a few days ago where the combo drive in my PowerBook G4 stopped accepting discs. I put something into the drive and it acted as if nothing was there and would not draw it inside the drive.

A restart fixed the problem and I haven't had it again, but since the AppleCare is up finished next month, I'd like to solve any problems under warranty.

I wonder if it's something in Leopard since I've had quite a few small issues with the operating system since upgrading.

I had something happen a few days ago where the combo drive in my PowerBook G4 stopped accepting discs. I put something into the drive and it acted as if nothing was there and would not draw it inside the drive.

A restart fixed the problem and I haven't had it again, but since the AppleCare is up finished next month, I'd like to solve any problems under warranty.

I wonder if it's something in Leopard since I've had quite a few small issues with the operating system since upgrading.

hey..thats my 'problem' ! it is not accepting discs :bheart:

i tried to view the drive under 'about this Mac'.... under 'ATA' only my harddisk ... under 'Burning discs'... no drive was found :sweat:

Called up APPLE this morning... cant do much over the phone.... must bring it in :confused:

My peers also faced the same problems. :confused:

What sort of problems did you encounter after upgrading to Leopard 10.5?
I'm considering upgrading my iBook G4 to Leopard 10.5 as well.

thot I just update u dudes on my damage :(

I went to Apple Care ...they din even attempt to revive my drive ..just suggest a replacement..and then add that ...."you probably wont wanna proceed with replacement bcos the Superdrive plus GST is SGD700+...." :eek: !

I was like..... WT...so I left and proceeded to SLS for a cheaper alternative ...and luckily I did !

Of cos, there were further disappointment ...The Authorised Apple Reseller at SLS charges the same for a replacement ..so dun bother and just when I was about to give up.. I found "IT" .. a shop who will replace my drive at a fraction of what A P P L E intended to charge me ;p

What sort of problems did you encounter after upgrading to Leopard 10.5?
I'm considering upgrading my iBook G4 to Leopard 10.5 as well.

Roughly 70 % of my third party software stopped working. This has been greatly improved since then but some software just won't be compatible, especially that from Adobe.

I had really choppy performance, which improved somewhat with 10.5.1 and improved an amazing amount with the security update. It's still not as fast as 10.4.10 in most cases, but system responsiveness is often better than 10.4.10, so it's a tradeoff.

The new firewall seems to limit things without being easy to configure and it has more holes than swiss cheese, although it's improved somewhat.

I once tried to use Spaces and now, Mercury Messenger won't sit at the left edge of the display. Since it's Java-based, Apple should have handled such situations automatically for the software but they're still working on major bugs.

Leopard is a good upgrade but as I've been saying for a year, wait until 10.5.3 for it to be stable. I should have followed my own advice.

thot I just update u dudes on my damage :(

I went to Apple Care ...they din even attempt to revive my drive ..just suggest a replacement..and then add that ...."you probably wont wanna proceed with replacement bcos the Superdrive plus GST is SGD700+...." :eek: !

I was like..... WT...so I left and proceeded to SLS for a cheaper alternative ...and luckily I did !

Of cos, there were further disappointment ...The Authorised Apple Reseller at SLS charges the same for a replacement ..so dun bother and just when I was about to give up.. I found "IT" .. a shop who will replace my drive at a fraction of what A P P L E intended to charge me ;p

Will it work properly, though? I did replace a Pioneer SuperDrive in a PowerMac G4 with another Pioneer and it was fine, so I know that it can be done. You just have to pick the proper model.

Hope things go well.

Status
Not open for further replies.