Any Legal advisers or Lawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lensman1968

Apr 10, 2010
Thank for opening up this thread and read it.

In Singapore Law can a company deleted your salary ever if you have support document with it
to prove that you are working on that day..

Thank you..
Nicholas Wee

1) Not enough details
2) Check the contract
3) Go and seek professional advice if you really want something back and not just discuss something for the fun of it

your question is very poorly structured:

it should be "can a company refuse to pay you even if you have evidence that you worked on that day", "can your salary be withheld even if you have proven your attendance at work", or "can a company refuse to pay your salary by alleging that you did not show up on that day, even though you have evidence that you did"

Don't ask for legal advice on the Internet. There are too many wannabees on the Internet who will talk like a lawyer but who are not.
You may get idiotic advice. You want to take legal action over 1 day's remuneration? It is not normal.

Last edited:

In Singapore Law can a company deleted your salary ever if you have support document with it

Thank you..
Nicholas Wee

are you the employee or the employer for that matter

Last edited:
What is the difference between legal advisor and lawyer?

speak with a lawyer. here many photographer ...lawyer...hmm.

You want to take legal action over 1 day's remuneration? It is not normal.
Really a great advice. I hope your employer reads this, so the company can chop off one day salary every month, since you don't mind ..
A contract is there to be fulfilled by both parties to the full extend. If work has been rendered and accepted the salary is due.

"In Singapore Law", anyone can indeed do anything that is physically possible.. The law is only concerned with whether something is legal or illegal. E.g., Drunk driving is illegal, but people can do it.

Don't really understand what 'deleted your salary' means either. Refuse to pay?

Maybe you should speak to someone at MOM.

I find it sad that TS is asking a simple question here in CS. Frankly, I also not sure if you can go to MOM. Imagine those who are not even IT savy and are in the same situation, who do they go to? How many people can afford to go to a lawyer or as what roichflex asked, for a day's pay?

MOM is not doing their job or simply poor in marketing their services.

first, are you a full-time employee or on-contract ? are u union or non-union staff ? what is nature of your 'support document' (punch-in punch-out time card?) ?

were you working somewhere where colleagues or clients could actually verify that you were there ? or is your work outdoors/travelling/pamphlet-distributing alone type where its hard to verify if you were actually working ?

hard to comment because we dont know other details that you might have conveniently left out

Last edited:
I find it sad that TS is asking a simple question here in CS. Frankly, I also not sure if you can go to MOM. Imagine those who are not even IT savy and are in the same situation, who do they go to? How many people can afford to go to a lawyer or as what roichflex asked, for a day's pay?
Hello, telephone invented more than 100 years, everybody knows what telephone is for.

MOM is not doing their job or simply poor in marketing their services.

by saying this, you are implying a few thousand people under the payroll of Ministry of Manpower are not doing their jobs, if so, can we excise our rights to sack the whole ministry, stop them from wasting the taxpayers money?

anyway if its any comfort, there has been groups of poor construction workers have not been paid 3 to 6 months wages .... these are the serious cases

i think best to find out WHY you were docked one day's wages with your employer

Hello, telephone invented more than 100 years, everybody knows what telephone is for.

by saying this, you are implying a few thousand people under the payroll of Ministry of Manpower are not doing their jobs, if so, can we excise our rights to sack the whole ministry, stop them from wasting the taxpayers money?

So TS could telephone and get an answer, why didn't he think of that? I also not aware it is that simple. You probably know the ministry quite well. Do share here how he could address his concerns. Which number and what to bring along.

Not doing a good job or room for improvements mean sack everybody? Hmmm quite high handling aren't you? I am looking more of some hotline where people like TS can call in to enquire or seek advise. You know gambling also got hot line. We want our people to know there is always support when needed.

Procedures of an Inquiry

The employer must hold an inquiry into the misconduct. If, after the inquiry, the employee is found guilty of the misconduct, the employer may:

a. terminate the employee's service without notice; or

b. instantly downgrade the employee; or

c. instantly suspend him from work without payment of salary for a period not exceeding one week.

There is no prescribed procedure for conducting an inquiry into an act of misconduct. As a general guideline,

1. the person hearing the inquiry should not be in a position which may suggest bias; and

2. the employee being investigated for misconduct should have the opportunity to present his case.

Under the Employment Act, the employer may suspend the employee from work during an inquiry, for a period not exceeding one week. The employee should be paid not less than half his salary for the suspended period.

If the inquiry does not disclose any misconduct on the part of the employee, the employer must restore to the employee the full amount of salary that was withheld.

Appeals

Employees who feel that they have been unfairly dismissed* by their employers may appeal to the Minister for Manpower to be reinstated to their former employment.

Appeals must be made in writing within one month of dismissal.

If the employer has given notice and the contractual terms of termination are complied with, the onus would be on the employees to show proof that the dismissal is unfair. The Ministry of Manpower will continue to be stringent in assessing such appeals.

If it can be established that an employee was unfairly dismissed, the Minister may consider reinstating the employee in his former employment or ordering a sum of money as compensation, as the Minister deems fit.

http://www.tafep.sg/employment_laws.asp?subid=5

Tripartite Alliance for Fair Employment Practices (TAFEP)

go talk to them.

Last edited:
i've colleagues and ex-colleagues who fell on hard times or had disputes with their companies/ex-companies. and from government supporters to opposition supporters

i expected the both the government supporters and opposition supporters to bad-mouth the ministries like MOM and MCYS and all relevant bodies because they felt those ministries were slack and didn't do their jobs.

BUT here's the kicker: they all had good things to say about how efficient and effective these ministries are.

surprise surprise.

if you've never been in a tough situation where you needed the ministries' help, or experienced it for yourself, don't condemn them with just the knowledge of what others say.

Status
Not open for further replies.