Any lamp from IKEA is good for Product shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have their lights... very simple table lamps, but do note that they are halogen and will cause a colour cast, as such, correct the white balance in PP by shooting RAW or do a custom white balance prior to the shoot.

ESPRESSIVO is wat I'm using for very simple lighting. ;)

Thanks Zac..
Color cast is what I worry about. I have several lamp at home now.. but all of them give me a very color cast for my photo... making me sick of it.

Thanks Zac..
Color cast is what I worry about. I have several lamp at home now.. but all of them give me a very color cast for my photo... making me sick of it.

Only chance you have would be to get a balanced fluoro light and they might not be cheap. So it's best to correct it on your own on the camera as well as thru PP.

Thanks Zac..
Every lamp gives a colour cast except daylight lamps. I have never tested any daylight, but I actually believe even those are not real daylight, like a flash. Custom WB is always necessary with artificial light. Of course, PS or PP afterwards is a solution but it is better to get the colours right from the start.

Anyway, whatch out for halogen lights, they get very very hot and may set your light box on fire. Also, depends on the distance and what you plan to shoot, some things like plastic may get some demage from the heat. Halogen lights are IMO very good for photography, the only drawback is the heat they generate. The whole room can be heated up by a few lamps.

to use continuous light for product shots is economy, but do have some problems.

the first thing is the heat,

second thing you can't mix with different kind of bulbs, will have different color temperature issues.

third, when the bulbs aging, it will change the color temperature.

forth, you can't use dimmer switch to adjust the brightness of the light, it will change the color temperature too.

fifth, you have to be very careful about using light modifier on hot lights, eg, snoot, honeycomb, filters etc. all these will heat up shortly and may cause fire.

hope these help.

Status
Not open for further replies.