Any kakis here drink wine besides photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mageditor

That's my new found hobby besides casual photography.

Wonder what do you guys here drink? Personally I like whites - Riesling and Chardonnay, Reds - Pinot Noirs, Merlot, Bordeaux style...

Wanted to get started on wine ... where do i start? Anyone know of any club here other than snap snap? :p I am using a P&S, which DSLR would be great for close ups on wine labels and glasses?

:think: Comments and advice is much appreciated. :sweat:

Try the wine place at dempsey road. but it's so happening that u won't be able to get a table on fri/sat nites. i like to sit outside as inside the a/c a bit cold.

i have trouble remembering wine names but to be on safe side, i go for australian woodbridge white or the NZ's g...something-something which are not so dry (bitter). i m just a beginner.

Hmm... I do drink but not really on a regular basis.

Beer, Japanese Sake, 7up + beer (I think they call it 'Shandy').

Not really into things like red wine and white wine. Can't really taste the diff between good matured red wines and bad young red wines. :(

But when it comes to entertaining important people, seems that knowledge of red wine is needed which is something I always lose out. :bsmilie:

How about beer? :think:

i drink milo

Erm.... There's this particular alcohol I remember it smells like Chocolate Milk?

Brown in colour and a rather thick liquid. Cream... something or what. Can't remember.

I thought its some new sweet cocktail in a bottle thing but after 1 taste on the rocks I just went half-poof. Stuff like these really brings back memories.... :bsmilie:

jsbn said:
Erm.... There's this particular alcohol I remember it smells like Chocolate Milk?

Brown in colour and a rather thick liquid. Cream... something or what. Can't remember.

I thought its some new sweet cocktail in a bottle thing but after 1 taste on the rocks I just went half-poof. Stuff like these really brings back memories.... :bsmilie:

Hi, think thats the Bailey's Irish Creme you're talking abt.

Talking abt wine, tere's a white wine (German, name's something like weingut fischborn bergeshof 05 spatlese) sold at Dempsey which is pretty good. 50 bucks a bottle tho, so make sure you're prepared to pay when you order! :p

a lot of the wine shops have regular tastings... check out booze. they arenot expensive.

they also have a good selection of german rieslings.

moomba have a decent selection of pinots from the new world, and augustine takes some trouble to source from smaller vineyards.

my favourites... right bank bordeaux, german riesling, cote rotie and burgundy.
the dead arm shiraz 98 was a champion vintage,, if you want something similar, crystal have the mitolo GAM,think its still under $100.

Anyone knows where sells a good selection of Sake? :thumbsup:

Grab a couple of salmon, microwave it with Teriyaki Sauce and savour it together with some cold Sake. Or order Sake when u goto a Japanese restaurant and order sashimi.

Bagus! :thumbsup:

hmm .. I still like Aust Wine .. Dunno why ..

If not .... i will have Beer .. Alot and lot of them .... :p

mageditor said:
That's my new found hobby besides casual photography.

Wonder what do you guys here drink? Personally I like whites - Riesling and Chardonnay, Reds - Pinot Noirs, Merlot, Bordeaux style...

Wanted to get started on wine ... where do i start? Anyone know of any club here other than snap snap? :p I am using a P&S, which DSLR would be great for close ups on wine labels and glasses?

:think: Comments and advice is much appreciated. :sweat:

Well you can try Chilean and Argentinian wines. They have a good number of range of reds and white. If you like things like Rieslings and Chardonnays, then you should look for them. There are a couple of cellars which specialized in importing the best wines. One of them you can look for is Top Wines at Orchard Hotel. You can look for Ms Flora or George.

Just came back from Vinexpo in HK. This expo is all about introducing new wines from all over the world for 3 days. Although there are many wines which are good (especially from France and California) countries from New Zealand, Chile and Argentina was something rather refreshing. I must say their prices are definately cheaper than French wines but it also boils down on the food that you are eating to match with the wines as each food taste will either open up your pallate on your tongue or make it worst.

The wine glass that you are or will be using plays and important part as well. If it was the reds (which have not matured fully) you may want to decant it with a decanter to open up the wine smell and taste a little more. As for the white, try not chilling to cold.

So there are many other aspects to a good wine. I have drank wines which are bottled in 1971 and another 2001 from the same winery. Surprisingly, the 2001 tasted better than the 1971. So, it does not mean the older wines are always better.

Good luck on your purchase. Wines are also a good investments as well.

Anyone like sweet whites like me?

Been missing the Villa Maria 98 since they dissapeared off the shelves of the Marketplace from City Hall...

me a fan of spanish wines... mostly tempranillo from rioja cos a fren brings them in so i get free sample or cheaply...;p

my other fav is a Rose called Cafe Zinfandel from Twin Valley Earnest & Julio Gallo. :thumbsup: used to hv it here but no one brings them i now.
i once lugged 6 x 1.5L bottles frm USA, they sell really cheap but good wine there. may bring them in myself...:think:

For those interested, Carrefour @ Suntec is having a Italian promo at the lobby till this Saturday. They've got 1/4 of the area allocated for wines...

Anyone bought anything yet?

carrefour used to have really good french sales..

but of late, their provenance doesnt seem to be so good, so stopped buying there.

Status
Not open for further replies.