Any issues with Tamron 11-18? Or Sigma 10-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loboclerk

Jul 28, 2002
Singapore
Sorry its yet another newbie question on which lens to get. ;p Using D80.

I've done the research on the lenses available, just wanted to get personal opinions on the above lenses. I'm going to look for it from the second hand market for below $600, so only looking at 3rd party lenses. Much depends on whats available too.

Tamron 11-18 - lightest, softer at edges

Sigma 10-20 - wider range, better CA control, sharp at edges, might have problem with light falloff?

Had a relatively good price for Tamron 11-18, and $100-$200 higher for Sigma 10-20mm though its alot newer. Personally preferred the latter if not for the available price.

I don't do large prints, at most for photo books not exceeding A4, wondering if the difference in quality (maybe at the edges) is significant? Probably using this for travel photography of scenery, architecture, and will bring it out for any group photo taking.

Also, is 10mm vs 11mm at the widest any significant difference? Never seen image comparisons before.

Appreciate any comments or points I need to take note of!

Last edited:
why not the tokina? slightly more expensive but you will love the constant f2.8

mmmm in second hand market its not slightly more expensive leh, quite big diff right?

Is constant f2.8 impt? I thought I'd go for f8 most of the time.

yes, quite different in price.

usually wide angle shots high f, but f2.8 means good for indoor low ligher wide angles :p

Iq is better i heard....

Indoor low light, if doing group photos I'd also go for smaller aperture bah, dowan anyone with OOF face. hehe.

Yah usually IQ is better for the F2.8 lenses. But is it because its F2.8 or do they just build it better when it is F2.8?

build it better i think. and more light and enter anyway.:dunno:

More light enters only when looking thru the viewfinder rite? And at wide-open of course.

Now not sure whether to just buy first or wait. heh

If you ask me, since you're gonna use it stopped down most of the time, the Sigma is the best value for money. It's a little pointless to get a fast lens if you are going to shoot stopped down most of the time, and the fast lens being significantly more expensive than the Sigma puts it at even more of a disadvantage.

BTW, every millimeter on the wide end counts for something. It's a significant difference.

agree with caleb. if u shoot stopped down, i think the 10-20 is gonna be better due to 1mm wider and wider zoom range.

tt's coming from tokina 11-16 user. in fact, i always try to stop down whenever there's light for max depth of field. of course, i will not hesitate to shoot wide open at F2.8 for indoor or evening shots. my priority is low noise, followed by good DOF.

tokina 11-16 seems hard to get. and the 2nd hand prices in BnS dun show much "depreciation" leh. might as well buy new, seriously, unless one needs it urgently.

tokina 11-16 seems hard to get. and the 2nd hand prices in BnS dun show much "depreciation" leh. might as well buy new, seriously, unless one needs it urgently.

S$820 (+/- S$30) versus S$950 is a 14% decrease in price ;)

I agree. I have shot (and am going to borrow) the 11-16 from tokina. If you shoot in low-light very often like me, f/2.8 is a saver.

Thanks for the inputs!

Yes the Sigma 10-20mm was my preferred choice from the start. Just that its 100 to 200 more than the offer I'm having for the Tamron 11-18mm. I don't really mind 100 more as a good investment, but dun think I can make it for that one thats on sale now coz its during work hours, far far away and first come first serve. -.-"

Selling my T90 to fund for this!! lol

S$820 (+/- S$30) versus S$950 is a 14% decrease in price ;)

I agree. I have shot (and am going to borrow) the 11-16 from tokina. If you shoot in low-light very often like me, f/2.8 is a saver.

well, i got mine for under $900 new. only issue is maybe must go back to the shop in JB to claim warranty.

i could easily have sold it for a profit had i not used it ;p. but i waited almost two months after ordering and placing my deposit :nono:

why dun u order one for urself? ;)

Thanks for the inputs!

Yes the Sigma 10-20mm was my preferred choice from the start. Just that its 100 to 200 more than the offer I'm having for the Tamron 11-18mm. I don't really mind 100 more as a good investment, but dun think I can make it for that one thats on sale now coz its during work hours, far far away and first come first serve. -.-"

Selling my T90 to fund for this!! lol

OH TAMRON.

i thought u meant the tokina in ur opening post. my bad.

dun go there. the tokina shd be much better. and if 100+ more for ur sigma, just go for it.

actually, if u know it's a serious buy and not an impulse buy or short term usage, can consider getting a new one :)

I see it for short term usage for now coz I've an overseas trip coming up. After that will be adhoc I think, I don't normally go on photog sessions with a UWA.

The Sigma is reserved by someone else liao after a disorganised sale :p

The remaining Sigma for sale has asking price about 45% more than the asking price of the Tamron!

Anyone with personal experience with the Tamron 11-18? I know the reviews on the net haven't been very good. I'm not a pro and don't need perfect IQ but won't go for something with obvious degradation of IQ.

why don't u rent a lens then?

Feels very expensive to rent, rather get one now and stop fretting over it again in my next holiday :)

Anyone with experience with Tamron 11-18mm?

Thanks! I've read that before with the reviews with competing lenses. :) Just wondering if there are any members here with personal experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.