Any inexpensive golf sets to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Picking up golf and thought of getting a set of clubs (used or new are ok). Anyone has any recommendation of brands/models? Budget will be less than $500. Wanted to get one set that's good to last a long time (and not be tempted to upgrade ;p).

Oooohhh .. another new golfer. I just bought a set last month at Transview in Suntec City. Its a Maruman set which cost S$759. There was a cheaper set (I believe was S$599) and a higher priced set at S$1200.

The place for golf window shopping is at Far East Shopping Centre (the one next to Hilton Hotel on Orchard Road), there are golf shops on every level from basement to top floor with sets ranging from $200 to $20,000... New and used also available. Can see-see-look-look until totally confused.

hmmmm maybe time for ClubSNAP Golf Tournament .... ;p:bsmilie:

According to my BIL and sisters who are golfers, maruman are more meant for beginners to kick off golf and are relatively cheap to begin with, but $500 seems a bit too little... :)

mpenza said:
Picking up golf and thought of getting a set of clubs (used or new are ok). Anyone has any recommendation of brands/models? Budget will be less than $500. Wanted to get one set that's good to last a long time (and not be tempted to upgrade ;p).

Welcome to the 19th hole!

Anyway for $500 and a good/decent set... afraid you may have to get a 2nd hand set. Not many new and 'good' (more like branded) sets < $500 unless u comfortable like Dunlop.. or soem brands like that.

If u do need advice,can always PM me. Always willing to share info with other interested golfers!

Enjoy your journey to the 'Dark Side' ;)

My advice is to buy a new beginner set. It is far too risky to get used set, especially if you're new to golf. As mention, there are too many "copy" or imitation sets around. Far East has got many shops, also, can try Transview. Another one is Bob Golf at Rangoon Rd and one more - Golf Bargains next to Panwest at Jalan Pemimpin.

Best is if you have a few friends as golf kakis to go along, to get the set and to learn together. Also, you can try a few lessons with a pro/coach first before buying. The coach should be able to loan you an iron or two to try it out first. Sound it out to some friends who might have a few old irons to lend or even give you to start off.

mpenza said:
Saw quite a few sets in Cash Converters. Maybe you want to check it out. $500 for a new set is a bit too low.

yeap i think 500 bucks can only buy u one club :p
I got mine for 1.5K and that's without putter :sweat:

Cash converter is a good place to get golf club... I got my first 8 iron, yes, just one club for only $8... Still my favourite club now...:lovegrin:

$500 i think a bit low. Most new set will costs about 700-800 i think. One thing my father-in-law and other senior golfers tell me is not to buy too expensive as you will outgrow your set...and sooner or later get more expensive clubs (esp on woods and putter).

mpenza ... you interested in learning or started already? I looking for kaki...
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=138515&page=2

Darren... Sure hope we can have a Clubsnap CUp man... :p

SnapSnap said:
Cash converter is a good place to get golf club... I got my first 8 iron, yes, just one club for only $8... Still my favourite club now...:lovegrin:
and i got my iron 7 at $7 from cash converter.
then managed to get iron 1,3,5 subsequently from yahoo and a driver.
all now resting in storeroom.. ;p

Yep, I think it is a good idea to get a 7 iron or 8 iron to start off and get the hang of it before plunging in big time.

Thanks guys for sharing your experience and comments :)

nemesis32 said:
mpenza ... you interested in learning or started already? I looking for kaki...

I started already ;p two lessons old.

smallaperture said:
Yep, I think it is a good idea to get a 7 iron or 8 iron to start off and get the hang of it before plunging in big time.

yup yup. I just got a 7 iron from yahoo. wanted to get cheap $6 ones at cash converters but they didn't have any at the amk branch I went to.

Will check out Far East and Transview to see what they have. I'm doing some pre-purchase work now (reading up also!).... just like deciding on a camera ;p

mpenza said:
yup yup. I just got a 7 iron from yahoo. wanted to get cheap $6 ones at cash converters but they didn't have any at the amk branch I went to.

Will check out Far East and Transview to see what they have. I'm doing some pre-purchase work now (reading up also!).... just like deciding on a camera ;p
Panwest having christmas sale now so maybe you can check it out for any bargains.

Where are you learning now?

mpenza said:
yup yup. I just got a 7 iron from yahoo. wanted to get cheap $6 ones at cash converters (CC) but they didn't have any at the amk branch I went to.

how abt PP (parkway parade)? there is a CC there.

mpenza said:

Have you ever consider buy a half set system? When you are just starting out to learn you will be scuffing up some of your irons and woods pretty quickly as you learn to build up your golf swing and shaping your shorts ( driver, fade, draw, chip..etc) When I got started, I bought a half set (full perimeter weighted which is easy to hit and good for beginners) from Transview at Far East Shopping Centre( think they not there now..that was in 1993) I use a set of them to practice for about 6 months playing at green Fairway, Marine Parade and Marina Bay CC. In fact got itchy and even used it to play on Malaysia golf courses once I got my PC card. When you are starting out, you are not in the right frame of mind and body to know what type of golf club is good for you. This is especially so in the begining, your physical dexterity, your age and your interest in the game long term. A good driver can cost you as much as getting a medium good set of irons! And there is the choice of shaft too depending on your swing. I am a hard hitter and I am about 6feet tall with a very upright swing so the only shafts for me are steel. Thus it also mean American brands are best for me due to their loft angle for the club head in relations to the shaft since westerners are more taller. I think this is still a fact today when it was said if you are asian you and not too tall, you should consider Japanese clubs. For one thing, shorter players also tend to have a more shallow swing thus a wider loft angle is better. Okay abit too techy talk here for a beginner. heh I can't use graphite as it flex too much for my swing. And I also have to pay attention to where the shaft will flex if not I risk shanking my shots. ( I sometime get that when I am playing impromtu games overseas with borrowed clubs. I would not say I am as crazy about gofl now as I was a couple of years back but club selection does make the difference once you are past the learning period.

So what I am saying is that..even if you have to buy a second hand set, take care to choose not just by price but by what type of clubs they are. I am sure you want to look out for great deal at those CC shops but make sure you read up on how to identify golf equipment first and be able to tell the difference. You can cause more harm to yourself using the wrong equipment (or a worn and about to break down club) or it will make you hate the game. heh Avoid getting blade clubs. Blades are those without a scoop out back on the earpart of the club face, they are more for pro or competent player who hit more consistently. With blades if you hit badly you will feel it! heheh.

Try to spend as little as possible too for now till you get better with the swing and your stances..etc to really appreciate a good set of clubs. Don't be taken into buying a full set now till you are good enough with your game to figure out what type of club suits you and also give yourself time to think it over if you really am into the game...so spend as least as possible and use that saving for later when you finalise the full golf set that does fit your gameplay. And usually that would mean spending at least $2,000 for a set. So every bit helps if you are very careful with how you spend your money on hobbies. Try not to be taken into getting a cheap full golf set by saleman as oppose to buying a half set to begin or how they can introduce you to a set that will grow with your game even if it does seem cheap by most "cheap set standards". No golfing saleman can see your swing at such an early part of your golf interest. The more you practice and delay your actual investment in your first full set by playing the game on the course and trying out your other friend's clubs while you are playing will give you a better understanding on all the type of club configuration out there under various brands, shaft, clubhead design..etc. It is not uncommon to find that even with some of the newer improvement in equipment, changing to them might do you more harm then good. This is the case with some PGA pros out there who due to endorsement change their clubs and their game goes down hill.

By the way I am still using my Taylor Made ICW5 which I bought about 10 yrs and still winning games with some friends less better then me at golf heheh.. The clubs are good for me as half of the them are progressive blades so the set actually grow with my game. the only club I do change every few year would be my driver and No.3 wood due to more wear and tear. ( I like hitting for distance lah heheh ) Just like photography, you will find as many "half baked upgraders", best brand name droppers and people who will alway think buying the next best clubs each time a new set appears will make them play like Tiger Wood as prevailing as you would find in the photogaphy circle of clubsnap.org who are always upgrading just because they can but not because they need to.

Keep to your game (and pace)...golf like photography is really about challenging yourself as you will soon find out...even when you are out with another 3 players at the course. Just a bit of tip from someone who started out like you are doing now and yes do a lot of research :)

Wah, long, long essay here. Agree most of the time to what Sammy has got to say, except for one point. Half sets. More than 10 years ago, a set of golf clubs could be pretty expensive so that half sets are available. Today, half sets are pretty hard to find becos sets are much cheaper now and so, no demand for it.

And irons are pretty hardy being made of stainless steel. You may get some nasty scratches, but not that easily damaged. And for a beginner, can skip the driver, and just tee off with a 3W.

nemesis32 said:
Panwest having christmas sale now so maybe you can check it out for any bargains.

Where are you learning now?

thanks. learning at marina south now.

sammy888, thanks for the pointers :) as i read more, i realised there're more to clubs than i thought. would stabilise my game first before going for club sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.