Any ideas of upgrading my gear

flyeminent

Dec 24, 2010
Hi fellow members,
I have just recently consider upgrading my gear and not quite sure which way to go. Maybe you can share about your ideas and experience?
I am currently holding Nikon D5000 with two lens (18-55mm kit lens and 18-200mm VR II lens). The main reason for upgrading is that I want to have a DSLR with built-in auto-focus motor. With an auto-focus motor, I have more lens (wide angle, macro, etc.) to choose from in future.
My first idea is to upgrade to Nikon D90, but I don't think it is quite rational because it is not a "real" upgrade. Then I start to put Nikon D7000 to my candidate list. To me, Nikon D7000 is a stronger upgrade and the price is still within my budget (provided that I can sell my Nikon D5000 with kit lens). But I saw many "WTS D7000" posts on this forum which cause me to worry a bit.:embrass:
Suddenly I realize that I might not need to be a Nikonian all my life. So I open my mind and found there are so many options in the market. The rumor is that "sometimes too many choices means no choices at all". Hence I am now hoping to find a "cost-effective" way to the "Rome" (although all the roads lead to Rome).

The restrictions of my upgrading are:
  1. Budget issue (less than $2,000)
  2. Built-in autofocus motor
  3. Must be compatible with my 18-200mm lens (I want to keep it, not for sale)

Any comments are absolutely welcome;) Thank you so much!

Your last point (nearly) eliminates the usage of other cameras brands. Unless you want to venture into adapters and use this lens with Manual focusing, of course, which also requires an aperture ring on your lens.
To be honest, I don't give a damn about the amount of WTS threads. There are so many gearheads around who buy a camera hoping they get great, stunning pictures instantly only to find out the truth: it's not working this way. Then they notice the weight, changing lenses, additional bag etc .. and the camera appears in WTS.
I'm not familiar with Nikon and the specific models and features, I would just list down what you need and see which body can fulfill this. To bust the illusions of 'better sensor' you can check with dxomark. Any rating difference lower than 5 points cannot be seen with normal eye, it's merely a technical result.

Your comment reminds me of another rumor "Buying Nikon doesn't make you a photographer, but a Nikon owner". I guess if I really want to keep my 18-200mm (which I really love to play with), I have to go for Nikon.
Your judgement on WTS threads is interesting. I think those guys haven't prepared themselves well for really nice photos (not instantly of course).;)
Your last point (nearly) eliminates the usage of other cameras brands. Unless you want to venture into adapters and use this lens with Manual focusing, of course, which also requires an aperture ring on your lens.
To be honest, I don't give a damn about the amount of WTS threads. There are so many gearheads around who buy a camera hoping they get great, stunning pictures instantly only to find out the truth: it's not working this way. Then they notice the weight, changing lenses, additional bag etc .. and the camera appears in WTS.
I'm not familiar with Nikon and the specific models and features, I would just list down what you need and see which body can fulfill this. To bust the illusions of 'better sensor' you can check with dxomark. Any rating difference lower than 5 points cannot be seen with normal eye, it's merely a technical result.

If you're happy with the Nikon ergonomics, etc, the D90 or D7000 are logical and good choices.

Hi, I am in that same position just a couple of months back. Although I am satisfied with my D5000, I wanted a body with built in motor and a better LCD screen. Simply, I am a newbie and need to see the result before making finer adjustments rather than but on my comp.

There are many people posting WTS and when you want to upgrade would you be doing that too? So obviously, the popular brand and models will be featured more not because of any other reasons.

There is no best upgrade since the sky is the limit in my opinion. More importantly is what you want and budget. I if are still on nikon and intend to keep the lens you mentioned than D300s is the max I think.

I have not used a D7000 but reviews are good. Having own the D5000, you should know it can't be bad. I am beginning to understand beside the body, there are the lenses that make the difference.

I am still a happy Nikon owner.

Go for D7000 - Choice is clear as it fits all your needs...

Dun have to worry abt WTS and this should not even be in your consideration.

[*]Must be compatible with my 18-200mm lens (I want to keep it, not for sale)

I would sell it from what I've read about. As I already a few pieces of Nikon stuffs, my upgrade would be probably D7000. The two main feature that attracts me to the D7000 are

1) AF Micro Adjustment - Use less accurate lenses
2) Weather Sealing - Better protection against the elements when travelling e.g. sand with wind places like EGYPT or TAIWAN during rainy seasons.

Good luck with your choice!

The Nikon ergonomics is very good so far. I don't feel any uncomfortable holding the camera. :cool:
If you're happy with the Nikon ergonomics, etc, the D90 or D7000 are logical and good choices.

Glad to see Nikonian here.
May I know which camera are you using now? ;p
Hi, I am in that same position just a couple of months back. Although I am satisfied with my D5000, I wanted a body with built in motor and a better LCD screen. Simply, I am a newbie and need to see the result before making finer adjustments rather than but on my comp.

There is no best upgrade since the sky is the limit in my opinion. More importantly is what you want and budget. I if are still on nikon and intend to keep the lens you mentioned than D300s is the max I think.

I have not used a D7000 but reviews are good. Having own the D5000, you should know it can't be bad. I am beginning to understand beside the body, there are the lenses that make the difference.

I am still a happy Nikon owner.

Isn't 18-200mm lens good? I feel it is very handy and suit my shooting needs in general cases, especially in Singapore Zoological Garden of my personal experience. :)But I want to go for Wide Angle lens in near future. So want to upgrade the camera first.
[*]Must be compatible with my 18-200mm lens (I want to keep it, not for sale)

I would sell it from what I've read about. As I already a few pieces of Nikon stuffs, my upgrade would be probably D7000. The two main feature that attracts me to the D7000 are

1) AF Micro Adjustment - Use less accurate lenses
2) Weather Sealing - Better protection against the elements when travelling e.g. sand with wind places like EGYPT or TAIWAN during rainy seasons.

Good luck with your choice!

I am using the D7000 which is one of the best around for that price. I brought it to Turkey and Egypt with lot of sands flying around and it handles well. Since you are keeping your current Nikon why bother to change brand, though Canon offers more varieties of lens
For wide angle I am using the Tokina 11-16 which is relatively good for wide angle. However if budget is not a problem stick with the originals 3rd party lens maybe cheaper but performance may not be comparable

Yes, I am thinking of buying Tokina 11-16. But my D5000 doesn't have auto-focus motor, and I will result in doing manual focus all the way to shoot landscape. Sounds tough. So I need to upgrade my camera at the first place. :cool:
I am using the D7000 which is one of the best around for that price. I brought it to Turkey and Egypt with lot of sands flying around and it handles well. Since you are keeping your current Nikon why bother to change brand, though Canon offers more varieties of lens
For wide angle I am using the Tokina 11-16 which is relatively good for wide angle. However if budget is not a problem stick with the originals 3rd party lens maybe cheaper but performance may not be comparable

flyeminent said:
Glad to see Nikonian here.
May I know which camera are you using now? ;p

I am on budget and I go for pre-owned D300. Simple reasons, I like the ease in changing the various settings and I don't make use of the pre-set programmes anyway.

Body wise, it is suppose to be weather proof but never test it under the rain. D7000 is fine or even the D90. The next level will be D3 but you need a complete set of lenses.

My previous camera is a D5000 and I upgraded to D7000.

NO REGRETS TILL NOW.

BTW, have you actually tried D7000 before?

If you're main goal is to go ultrawide, why not just get a Nikon 10-24?

Personally I like the idea of coupling an ultrawide with a body with a tilting live-view LCD screen -- easier to get those weird/low angles :)

Yes, I am thinking of buying Tokina 11-16. But my D5000 doesn't have auto-focus motor, and I will result in doing manual focus all the way to shoot landscape. Sounds tough. So I need to upgrade my camera at the first place. :cool:

For me I have upgraded to D7000 from D3000 so far so good haha

Dont have to worry about the WTS in BNS.

Nope.
I have read a few articles and reviews on D7000 so far.
Anything special on D7000 that I need to know about?
I am just worried that D90 is not a significant upgrade from D5000 except the built-in auto-focus motor.:dunno:
My previous camera is a D5000 and I upgraded to D7000.

NO REGRETS TILL NOW.

BTW, have you actually tried D7000 before?

Answer to the first question, I wish I have money to buy the Nikkor 10-24, but its price is almost double the price of Tokina 116.:dunno:
You have a good point. I really love D5000's tilting LCD screen, but now the factor of lacking built-in auto-focus motor already outweigh this advantage.:cry:
If you're main goal is to go ultrawide, why not just get a Nikon 10-24?

Personally I like the idea of coupling an ultrawide with a body with a tilting live-view LCD screen -- easier to get those weird/low angles :)

Ya, I agree. D7000 is probably coming from my candidate list to shopping cart soon.;)
For me I have upgraded to D7000 from D3000 so far so good haha

Dont have to worry about the WTS in BNS.

D7k fills the gap between the cropped highest end D300s & D90. Some even said D7k is not an upgrade to D90.
The main features in D7k not in D90 includes:
- 39 AF points vs 11
- AF fine tune
- Metering (I think) with older AI lenses
- Mirror up mode
- 1080p @ 24fps video recording
- dual SD card slot vs single

There are others but this should suffice for ur curiosity.