any idea why my CPU usage is always 100%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modenaslim

Mar 2, 2003
Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
Visit site
untitled.jpg

This is abnormal operation...
my pc can still run smooth...
but I'm afraid the CPU may damage...

can anyone help? :dunno:

modenaslim said:
untitled.jpg

This is abnormal operation...
my pc can still run smooth...
but I'm afraid the CPU may damage...

can anyone help? :dunno:

are you running any background programs? e.g. Seti@home, CPU cooling programs, etc.

Try disconnecting your PC from the network, and monitor the CPU usage again for a while.
If it drops, your PC may have been running some rogue program, eg junk mailer, etc. :eek:
If it remains high, you may have some runaway background job polling something. Just a guess. :dunno:

maybe your cpu/mboard is not compatible with the program probe?

does the 100% stay there forever.. does it drop? if it always stays there, then there may be something to do with the program, not the hardware i suppose.

yamcake said:
maybe your cpu/mboard is not compatible with the program probe?

does the 100% stay there forever.. does it drop? if it always stays there, then there may be something to do with the program, not the hardware i suppose.

yes.. 100% forever

In the process tab.. pay attention to those process that is occupying 100% of the CPU time....

Download this free spyware scanner and see what you have got. Maybe you will be surprise. :eek:

Also do a virus scan, maybe yr peecee has been trojan and use to ddos other ppl's peecee. :sweat:

Another good spyware scanner is Ad Aware. Just look for it at www.download.com. You might wanna try installing a firewall like ZoneAlarm. They can help you identify if there are viruses or trojan horses running on your system.

found one problem liao..
my norton anti virus is down....
cannot open this program..

think.. most likely kena virus liao..
anyway.. i shut down my pc liao..
tomolo has presentation to do .. no time fix now..
haha..

anyway. thanks for all comments.. i will try the good spyware scanner tomolo..

recently very "sui"...

i dun like norton. very lousy. use up a lot of system resource, slows pc down whenever its doing any scanning. easily taken over by virus/worms and shuts it down and it will never work again.

i seldom use windows, 90% of the time on Linux. My windows AV (tried a few) is always up to date and scan appear clean (my game machine). However, when I scan NT2k from Linux, in average I still found 2-3 malicious backdoors or trojans/spywares monthly in the windoze machine.

Wah... formatted my pc liao.. problems solved!!!! no need to update or download or scan whatever ever liao...

format is the lousiest and simplest way to solve problems.. yet efficient!! ;)

modenaslim said:
Wah... formatted my pc liao.. problems solved!!!! no need to update or download or scan whatever ever liao...

:bsmilie: occasional formats keep the bugs away.

Ya, somehow in windows no matter how u maintain, chances that something will behave wierdly 1 yr down the road for most cases.

modenaslim said:

Ya, i like to format my pc once in a while to get rid of unwanted stuffs accumulated over times (esp if u like to install programs), like in the registry, files etc...

It keeps the system clean and efficient. But always remember to back up your data files.

whoelse said:
Ya, somehow in windows no matter how u maintain, chances that something will behave wierdly 1 yr down the road for most cases.

hmmmm..... that only happens to Windows or it's cousins. They write into the registary but never delete it when you uninstall the software. Chances are they get slower by the day until it literally crawls.

modenaslim said:
my background program is very clean........ only icq, msn and norton....

U might accidentally install some program that run background job. Check the Windows Task Manager --> Process.

If U can't figure out what's wrong, just re-install your computer :)

Acidentally install some program?

Have anyone uses web version of anti-virus scan? As we can see, these kind of program can access your deepest windows as long as they prompt u a certificate and u allow access. So, if these web-AV can open yr files in HDD and clean them meaning that someone can write some script that fake a utility or prompt that can write into your system without even u noticing and even if you are not in windows admin account.

Some of this pop-up says "[Enter] [Cancel]" are you not sure cancel doesn't do the same as enter? These prompt can be anything behind regardless of the name of the button prompt.

Also, if windows can install system files in non admin account simply by a pop-up prompt and not signing in the admin account(it's just a user/passwd not a real admin user signin unlike unix eg.), a script can be smart enuf to prevent the access control prompt by bypassing it.

There was this incident where I open a port temporary waiting for a friend to connect to it to play Fifa and while waiting abt 15min, my system was infected by a trojan. It suckup all the available memory and start to synflood my network trying to spread more.

How can I infected just by opening this port? Then I found the trojan and after doing some research, this trojan is able to emulate itself as a client connection protocol that keep scanning for this common port Fifa game use. One it find a fifa game with open port, it emulate as a client to connect itself and when the server start to accept data, it plant the code in the system but ofcos there is no real fifa game connection since it's faking it.

Just like that.

Ofcos I like Windows too. No point making MacOS or Linux to behave like Windows. While I do mostly in Linux, I have multiboot to Windows for games, MP3, scanning and for thing that windows does better. So, dun say I comdemn Windows :blah:

I like and use them all. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.