Any idea wats my pc problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbiegrapher

Jun 18, 2005
westz
Good afternoon to u all.. Nowadays my cpu always give me the problem when i switch it on for a few mins, "Enter sleep mode" (Standby mode) will be shown on the monitor . Then it will automatically goes to Sleep mode although i didnt do anything to it :angry: .Even worse is it cant "wake" up when i move the mouse or press the keyboard and therefore, i need to hit the reset button again to somehow restart everything.. But my guess is the Philips LCD monitor has pass its life hours already( 50000 hrs if im rite) and have used it for around 3-4yrs. Do you guys think it has anyting to do with the graphic card or motherboard?

Theres even sometimes where i need to reset 3-4 times to "wake" it up again and again
Need some comments here .. thanks :)

newbiegrapher said:
Good afternoon to u all.. Nowadays my cpu always give me the problem when i switch it on for a few mins, "Enter sleep mode" will be shown on the monitor . Then it will automatically goes to Sleep mode although i didnt do anything to it :angry: .Even worse is it cant "wake" up and i need to hit the reset button again to somehow restart everything.. But my guess is the Philips LCD monitor has pass its life hours already( 50000 hrs if im rite) and have used it for around 3-4yrs. Do you guys think it has anyting to do with the graphic card or motherboard?

your Philips LCD have DVI & D-sub? if have den try using both connection. and see...

it might be either your card's connection is dying or something...

mostly likely your power supply unit dying. that's the symtom i often encounter when i help my friends to fix pc problems. your monitor is not dying since you said it can still show "enter sleep mode"

thanks for the fast replies guys.. My lcd no dvi input..Erm... power supply just changed i think last yr only..so fast got problem liao heh :think: ...graphic card is nvidia geforce4 64mb...think i got tat 5 yrs ago liao... so maybe its graphic card??

Headache seh...

test with another cpu

shoud be gfx card or psu or virus or some wierd windows setting gone awry by accident

u mean lcd into slp mode? or system into slp mode?
think most likely is the setting in window gone haywire...or infected by some virus...

the sleep mode is from the lcd not system..perhaps i need to bring to my relative house 1 day to test it out also... Hope i no need to BBB bahz :confused:

Did you check to see if anything is blocking the air flow? maybe it got too hot thus went into sleep mode to prevent overheating?

btw, you meant it always go into sleep mode even after u hit the "reset" button? if not, then can't think of any possibilities le.

newbiegrapher said:
the sleep mode is from the lcd not system..perhaps i need to bring to my relative house 1 day to test it out also... Hope i no need to BBB bahz :confused:
hmm..should b either gfx card or lcd prob....but i think most likely is gfx card prob...if ur com gt integrated graphic use it to try wif ur lcd...see if it works...if it works...mean ur graphic card dying liao...

newbiegrapher said:
Good afternoon to u all.. Nowadays my cpu always give me the problem when i switch it on for a few mins, "Enter sleep mode" (Standby mode) will be shown on the monitor . Then it will automatically goes to Sleep mode although i didnt do anything to it :angry: .Even worse is it cant "wake" up when i move the mouse or press the keyboard and therefore, i need to hit the reset button again to somehow restart everything.. But my guess is the Philips LCD monitor has pass its life hours already( 50000 hrs if im rite) and have used it for around 3-4yrs. Do you guys think it has anyting to do with the graphic card or motherboard?

Theres even sometimes where i need to reset 3-4 times to "wake" it up again and again

4 Years gives only 36k hours. I believe the gfx card is going to get killed any moment. Check if the fan is spinning on it if there's one :)

newbiegrapher said:

This is interesting. The LCD went into sleep mode? How can you tell it went into sleep mode? I know some would overlay in lime green text over the image on the screen saying it gets "no video signal" or something like that. Was that what you saw? If it was nicely done in XP and you see it saying that it is going into sleep mode...then that has nothing to do with your LCD. LCD only goes into sleep mode when it gets that instruction from windows XP. For example if I unplug my graphic card cable from my PC to the LCD or CRT, I get that "no signal" and then the screen is just blank till it does get a signal.

YOu can try to connect the LCD to another PC...to test if your LCD is working. ( isyour PC still humming along at this time?)

You can swop graphic card and use the same LCD...to test if the VGA card has a problem.

You can try if you managed to boot into XP and go check your setting for energy saving and other monitor setting that controls sleep mode or standby mode...this will see if you might have accidently did some setting to it or it might even not work properly which can indicate some corruption to certain parts of it that is causing your XP to shut down to sleep mode.

You can also do a scandisk and check your HDD. For your system to go into sleep mode or standby mode, your PC or XP set up in some portion of your HDD a small partition or reserve a block of space on it to save up your setting, what you have open on your system prior to engaging sleep mode or standby mode. Normally when you activate sleep mode or standby mode on purpose, your PC will save up all the setting and stuff and then go into standby mode but if some how that information gets corrupted while it was saving and then go into standby mode. The next time take it out of standby mode especially, it will kick in and reload what I was previously doing but then it goes right back out into standby mode.

And yes, there is a possibility it could be a virus too. But the good news is, if it is a virus it just mean it is a software problem and that can be solved without spending much money without buying a new monitor or graphic card.

Just something to consider when you bring your system over to another place to recheck it or swop out parts to try figuring out the problem

Do you have to press reset button at least once before your PC boot?
Once boot up successfully, can you use the PC as per norm?

If your answer is yes to the above, most likely is your motherboard (capacitors) problem since your PC is at least 3 yrs old. You can check physically check the capacitors around the CPU to verify. It the capacitors are bloated, either you replace them (not going to be easy ;) ) or get a new motherboard.

leeter said:
Did you check to see if anything is blocking the air flow? maybe it got too hot thus went into sleep mode to prevent overheating?

btw, you meant it always go into sleep mode even after u hit the "reset" button? if not, then can't think of any possibilities le.

When it goes into sleep mode, then i will press the reset button then sometimes, somehow after rebooting then back to the desktop screen, it will go back into sleep mode once again :thumbsd: .. PC around 1yr+ nia... its just that the graphic card is from my previous cpu

Klose: I will try to check the fan if its spinning tomorrow :angel: ...

dreamerz: weirdz.. but i also duno the problem now :bigeyes: ..

Sammy888: No, i didnt c the "no video signal" text.. i only c this text everytime b4 i switch on the cpu power..Dun think is virus bah, cause i do scans every few days..
OK.. I will try to check my setting for energy saving and other settings..

Mayb dust clocked up at the graphic card area? :think: guess i should take out n do some spring cleaning 2morow..

And Yeah, thanks for all the replies.. haha..

From my experience it is something to do with these things:

1) Power Supply
2) graphics card
3) Motherboard
4) OS...

One or more is not working properly. Btw, did you happen to have power standby enabled and did not have your mouse pointing device to bring out of standby in control panel? What OS are are u using by the way?

tokrot said:
From my experience it is something to do with these things:

1) Power Supply
2) graphics card
3) Motherboard
4) OS...

One or more is not working properly. Btw, did you happen to have power standby enabled and did not have your mouse pointing device to bring out of standby in control panel? What OS are are u using by the way?

Yeah i did and im using Win XP SP 2.. Did cleaning to the inside parts... Lump of black dirt .. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.