Any idea if a K mount will come out one day?

GSiGuy

Sep 14, 2010
I've been looking for the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 HSM lens, but it's a rare creature to find. Then i find out that Tamron is launching it's own USM, VC & splash-proof version...

Tamron -Tamron develops world's first*1 full-size, high-speed standard zoom with built-in image stabilization - SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A007)

But from the info there looks like they not making a Pentax mount :dunno:

I am not familiar with how Tamron or the other 3rd party lens makers roll out their products but will they likely come out with a K mount sometime along the line?

GSiGuy

Sep 14, 2010
Pity... its the range i want...:(

detritus

Sep 12, 2009
shootingbugs.blogspot.com
The old screw drive, non stabilized version was always available in k mount wasn't it?

edit: the old one is the 28-75, not 24-70.

Last edited:

GSiGuy

Sep 14, 2010
The old screw drive, non stabilized version was always available in k mount wasn't it?

edit: the old one is the 28-75, not 24-70.
Yeah, it is and it is an excellent lens imho. It's just that having that 4mm more on the wide end makes a difference (when i look at the pictures i have taken in the past year) when it comes to usability. My plan is to have a 3-zoom set-up as follows:-

DA 12-24 or equivalent;
24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8.

Until now, only Sigma offers me a 24-70 2.8 but they are bloody hard to find and pretty darn ex. If i recall, Feng Wei has good things to say about them though (after calibration for K-5)...

Am hoping to achieve close to DA* IQ for that FL range, without the price...:) but i'm willing to consider any other suggestions to achieve this FL range.

ageha

Apr 29, 2011
Earth
www.flickr.com
I guess Sony doesn't want to support Pentax. Same with Tokina and Sony in the past.

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, it is and it is an excellent lens imho. It's just that having that 4mm more on the wide end makes a difference (when i look at the pictures i have taken in the past year) when it comes to usability. My plan is to have a 3-zoom set-up as follows:-

DA 12-24 or equivalent;
24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8.

Until now, only Sigma offers me a 24-70 2.8 but they are bloody hard to find and pretty darn ex. If i recall, Feng Wei has good things to say about them though (after calibration for K-5)...

Am hoping to achieve close to DA* IQ for that FL range, without the price...:) but i'm willing to consider any other suggestions to achieve this FL range.
No choice.
I say vote with your money.
Tamron don't want it, buy Sigma then.

28-75 2.8

Isn't too bad either in real usage, the only times I feel it is better to be wider is when I am using it to take dinner table shots :D (usually still can, but a bit tight and need to arrange ppl well)
Other stuff, usually can afford to take that 1 step back.
Esp. when your 12-24 is f4 at 24mm.

GSiGuy

Sep 14, 2010
No choice.
I say vote with your money.
Tamron don't want it, buy Sigma then.

28-75 2.8

Isn't too bad either in real usage, the only times I feel it is better to be wider is when I am using it to take dinner table shots :D (usually still can, but a bit tight and need to arrange ppl well)
Other stuff, usually can afford to take that 1 step back.
Esp. when your 12-24 is f4 at 24mm.
Yes, i like the Tammy 28-75 alot too after trying it for about a week. It was a fantastic portrait lens on a cropped sensor and it's semi-macro ability made food pictures easy.

However, i still got this nagging feeling that the 4mm on the wide end will make a difference as a walkabout lens that will spend most of the time on the camera... i dunno... maybe its just psychological on my part... will try to make inquiries via people who travel to HK check availability & price of the Siggy lens...

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
Yes, i like the Tammy 28-75 alot too after trying it for about a week. It was a fantastic portrait lens on a cropped sensor and it's semi-macro ability made food pictures easy.

However, i still got this nagging feeling that the 4mm on the wide end will make a difference as a walkabout lens that will spend most of the time on the camera... i dunno... maybe its just psychological on my part... will try to make inquiries via people who travel to HK check availability & price of the Siggy lens...

24mm certainly better if its there, but don't forget you'd loose the 75mm on the other end :D :devil:
But given the choice, I'd be in the same dilemma. :)

GSiGuy

Sep 14, 2010
24mm certainly better if its there, but don't forget you'd loose the 75mm on the other end :D :devil:
But given the choice, I'd be in the same dilemma. :)
Maybe i should not hold out for the vain possibility that Pentax FF will be a not-too-distant reality. Maybe i should just concentrate on digital and my personal zoom lens roadmap should be like this:-

Sigma 10-20 (i already have one)
Tamron or Sigma 17-50
DA* 50-135 or Sigma 50-150 2.8 (again, a hard to find piece of glass) or da* 60-250 (i like the reach but will there be less pixie dust than 50-135?)...

Top Bottom