Any Hints on how to take Fireworks?

Agrivar

Oct 25, 2010
Singapore
Countdown to 2011 is coming.. plan to somewhere in the Marina Bay area to try and take the fireworks.. Any hints for this kind of photography? its night as well as fast action.. so any night scene mode i use will give motion blur...

motion blur?
hints: find a perfect spot and camp at 12pm.

You can try increasing the ISO, then increase the shutter speed, just a thought.

Use bulb mode. Easiest to capture fireworks. =)

Get your settings right first for long exposure. I find the the blackcard technique under the bulb mode useful unless you can guesstimate when the next fireworks will launch. Use a remote shutter control and tripod.

some useful links - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/fireworks.htm

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/how-to-photograph-fireworks/

how to use the black card -http://www.betterphoto.com/forms/QnADetail.asp?threadID=17336

http://blog.urbangrafix.com/archives/tag/fireworks

Happy shooting.

You can try increasing the ISO, then increase the shutter speed, just a thought.
conversely, you should actually decrease your iso to get a long exposure. most people shoot in bulb mode anyway :)

use fireworks mode if ur cam have one... n remember ur tripod... ha ha

The guide on Fireworks is quite helpful... except for multiple exposure.. used to do that with film but i dont think you can do that using a digital camera.. :confused:

Anyway.. yep bulb for long exposure and for short exposure to work on the aperture and shutter speed... got it..

The guide on Fireworks is quite helpful... except for multiple exposure.. used to do that with film but i dont think you can do that using a digital camera.. :confused:

Anyway.. yep bulb for long exposure and for short exposure to work on the aperture and shutter speed... got it..

The black card technique is like the multiple exposure on film.

Don't forget to get a remote control =) Look forward to viewing your fireworks pictures soon!

People shooting New year eve fireworks will start scouting and securing for premier places near the bay at around 4~5pm so you have to be an early bird to catch a "nice" spot.
Look for the launch pad, there should be three for NYE so aim your focus at the centre launch pad.
Weigh down your tripod as the vibrations from the fireworks might cause a bit of a problem.
Disable OIS to conserve power and disable AF before setting focus to infinity, for NYE fireworks that means manual focus on the furthest building across the bay.
F8-F16 depends on your len's sweet spot, trying testing it out with those mini fireworks stick or what you call that.
If the fireworks is well spread out then it's ok to use blackcard as overlapping fireworks will result is a whiteout scenario.
Always keep ISO to 100 or less.
4 sec exposure should give you a variety of fireworks considering how packed is the NDP, YOG and Vivo.
If there is little or no wind then be prepared to use smaller aperture and shorter exposure time to prevent a blownout smoke image. (Pls refer to Vivo fireworks)
Don't try to take every fireworks around the bay (NDP n YOG), just stick to the area you have focus earlier on.
28mm (35mm format) or less is good enough but a wide angle lens will be even better as you can cover the reflection of the fireworks too. (You can do a vertical shot which will crop out some of the fireworks but still have your reflection)

crystal1993
Re: Any Hints on how to take Fireworks?
Use bulb mode. Easiest to capture fireworks. =)

Was thinking about trying bulb mode too this time round. :)

Pick a nice location, Bulb mode, black card.

Ryan

Bulb mode
Black card
Tripod
Manual focus
Focus to infinity
Cable release

Countdown to 2011 is coming.. plan to somewhere in the Marina Bay area to try and take the fireworks.. Any hints for this kind of photography? its night as well as fast action.. so any night scene mode i use will give motion blur...

The above links and this one
photography how to take fireworks

and try to find previous years firework photos to have a good gauge of where are the good spots and preplanned your framing and composition. Probably you will still need to adjust some more for the first few fireworks but doing your homework and getting ready will allow you to have a good chance capturing the best fireworks. This is before the smoke gets build up.

tripod, wireless remote, mirror lock up at long exposure & videocam
i guess i'll go with this set this year :bsmilie:

seriously wrong.

increasing ISO results more noise.

For me, i use the lowest ISO 100.

1. Mount camera to tripod (this is a must!), do a pre focus (manual focus)
2. Personally i am lazy, so i use AV mode, set to f11, bulb mode, exposure set to 7-15 secs

:)

if u r using a black card to selectively block exposure, u have to be a little selective on which fireworks u intend to expose as a collage for in the single shot. Sometimes one or two big high bursts with lower tier-ed ones for instance ..

Alternative option is capture each firework individually and mix match post processing ..

Ryan