Any high quality lens cleaning cloth to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Cud anyone kindly advise on a high quality lens cleaning cloth?

I need to clean some fingerprint smudges on my lens but I have doubts over using my present one, even though it's microfiber.

The last time I tried, there is a "squeaking" sound when the cloth rubs lightly over the lens! Feels like quite harsh wiping on the glass. And it tends to leave some residual marks on the lens. :thumbsd:

Thanks so much.

3M seems to make one of the best microfibers around. I won't at all be surprised if they OEM for the big name optical companies but I can't confirm.

Other than that, a lenspen works wonders'! Or if you can ever get genuine, high quality chamois specifically for optical cleaning, they're great! There are 'synthetic' ones around so be careful.

3M is good. There are also very high-quality optical/gem chamois on sale in Popular.

Me, I ordered the Carl Zeiss cleaning kit. Comes with special moist lens wipes, cloth, etc etc

Hey Rashkae,

Popular has Chamois? Serious?

How much did you pay for the Zeiss cleaning kit? I saw it going for slightly under US$30 including shipping.

Thanks guys...

Yah, I've just read about the 3M one on Amazon. Almost wanted to buy. Quite cheap about US$2+?

But it seems on the back of the package, they warned that the cloth will attract dust also. One user gave feedback that he scratched his lens!

The chamois one is good? It's selling for about $5 at Popular right?

Thanks

Just about ANY fabric can attract and trap dirt, grit and grime. If it isn't able to, it would be quite useless for cleaning. Just have to be disciplined with keeping it clean according to instructions. Also, be mindful that there are probably many different TYPES and specs as 3M would probably manufacture several types for different uses.

Always blow and brush off visible dirt before any sort of wiping and never apply excessive pressure.

Thanks guys...

Yah, I've just read about the 3M one on Amazon. Almost wanted to buy. Quite cheap about US$2+?

But it seems on the back of the package, they warned that the cloth will attract dust also. One user gave feedback that he scratched his lens!

The chamois one is good? It's selling for about $5 at Popular right?

Thanks

I still keep the 3M one handy. Just need to make sure to clean/wash it on a regular basis, and shake it out before cleaning your lens to dislodge any large dust grains.

Hey Rashkae,

Popular has Chamois? Serious?

How much did you pay for the Zeiss cleaning kit? I saw it going for slightly under US$30 including shipping.

I got it for 12 USD - jr.com special sale; it pops up frequently.

For cleaning ur lens surface, its best to use use-and-throw lens tissue rather than a washable cloth. Unless necessary, avoid wiping. I use a lens sticky gum to stick up stains and dusts.

I got it for 12 USD - jr.com special sale; it pops up frequently.

Hmm, kewl! Think I'll get a set to keep in my bag. Could come in handy sometime. Thanks!

OOPS! Searched their website, and even used the name on the kit packaging, but the search throws up nothing. Would you by chance have a link?

Last edited:
I'm using the Panther cloth from Kinetronics... not bad

Hmm, kewl! Think I'll get a set to keep in my bag. Could come in handy sometime. Thanks!

OOPS! Searched their website, and even used the name on the kit packaging, but the search throws up nothing. Would you by chance have a link?

Yup. I also met the same problem. :dunno:

For cleaning ur lens surface, its best to use use-and-throw lens tissue rather than a washable cloth. Unless necessary, avoid wiping. I use a lens sticky gum to stick up stains and dusts.

Yeah, I was also looking for the lens paper type. But many shops no longer carry it. Seems like they only sell cloth type, but it's quite cheap and I dunno what's the quality like.

Yes, I don't like cleaning lenses also but I think there's an accidental finger print mark.

Any recommendation on lens paper?

I haven't heard of "lens gum". Sounds interesting and useful...

Yup. I also met the same problem. :dunno:

Hmmm... They just had it last week. Very odd.

it still shows up on Amazon, but at almost 25 USD! :p

Bro...

Go to any NTUC, you can find micro fibers cloth...will do. Big pieces around $10 or so...inside got a few piece. Morever, you can use it for cleaning your camera not only your lens. Very useful...just put a piece inside your bag and bring along together when you shot...

Dont need to waste money order..save for other thing...

Thanks. Probably this is what I'm looking for. :) It's very soft and lint-free is it?

There's also an "E WIPE". Not sure if it's better... Will check out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.