Any *Good* LCD to Recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekh

Sep 6, 2004
The iMac 20" LCD monitor really blow me away. So do the bigger Apple LCD monitors.

Happened to see some of those 19" LCD in the price range of below $1K in SLS and all simply cannot make it as compared to the Apple.

Are there any better quality LCD available to the PC users?

Also, wonder if the Apple LCD can be used by PCs.

weekh said:
The iMac 20" LCD monitor really blow me away. So do the bigger Apple LCD monitors.

Happened to see some of those 19" LCD in the price range of below $1K in SLS and all simply cannot make it as compared to the Apple.

Are there any better quality LCD available to the PC users?

check this thread : http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=82717

I believe it answer most of your question :D .. you can try the Dell one :sweatsm:

Got the dell one last month. 2001FP. Bagus!!

No dead or bright pixel.

Just got a Dell 19 inch ultrasharp a few days ago.

Portrait mode is an incredible way to work.

Wonder how I ever got along with landscape mode.

The ACD should be usable on PCs if you use DVI :)

Apple 30inch HD LCD Display 120dpi.... =) Shoikness.

if not any old apple will do... they should be DVI standard. I have found two 17inch screens (older bundled with quicksilver) better than one big 23 inch screen... but thats me.. actually i nv really complained abt the 23inch that much.

Have not seen any others that impressed me... hence i feel that a calibrated CRT is the way to go... =)

moos blues said:
Apple 30inch HD LCD Display 120dpi.... =) Shoikness.

if not any old apple will do... they should be DVI standard. I have found two 17inch screens (older bundled with quicksilver) better than one big 23 inch screen... but thats me.. actually i nv really complained abt the 23inch that much.

Have not seen any others that impressed me... hence i feel that a calibrated CRT is the way to go... =)
ditto.
CRT is still a must..

LCD altho it's getting better still dont cut it.

weekh said:

latest range of apple LCD are using dvi, so u can use it on a PC without any problem

if you are using the older version (the one with transparent frame), they are using ADC instead of DVI, so you will need to get a DVI to ADC adapter (not ADC to DVI) and the adapter cost me $170+ :angry:

there are also 3rd party DVI to ADC adapter, but then the price is about the same as the original one after you add in the shipping

The new ACD 20" runs at some funny resolution of 1680 x 1050, my ATI 9600 SE does not seem to have that resolution. There are so some posts on the forums that it does not work with all PC-based graphics cards -- it will only display the Windoze desktop but not the text-mode stuff like the POST screens and not even the Windoze bootup screens. :(

Regards
CK

CK,

That is the widescreen resolution used in the 2005FP and ACDs. The latest ATI catalyst drivers support this.

The POST screen problem is true. Apple enginneers have no PC?

ckiang said:
The new ACD 20" runs at some funny resolution of 1680 x 1050, my ATI 9600 SE does not seem to have that resolution. There are so some posts on the forums that it does not work with all PC-based graphics cards -- it will only display the Windoze desktop but not the text-mode stuff like the POST screens and not even the Windoze bootup screens. :(

Regards
CK

mine is old ACD and all my graphics cards can support 1680 x 1050, try reinstall the driver

only one of the graphic card that i have manage to make ACD display the POST and bootup screen :(

In terms of value the Dell 2001FP beats the 20" ACD(widescreen) -

Dell is SGD 1300 while ACD is SGD 1850.
Dell is 1600x1200 while ACD is 1680x1050.

U actually get more screen and pixels with the Dell 2001FP. Also, Dell has a money back gurantee (you pay shipping of $60), so if your dead/bright pixel is really bad, just send it back.

Dell 2005FP is equivalent to the ADC. ONly avail in US and cheaper than the 2001FP generally unless u have an insane coupon deal.

Java_Guru said:
CK,

That is the widescreen resolution used in the 2005FP and ACDs. The latest ATI catalyst drivers support this.

The POST screen problem is true. Apple enginneers have no PC?
Well, they are Apple engineers! According to the forums it's more of a DVI issue, some incompatibility or implementation difference or something like that. The truly complaint ones are supposed to work.

Wai said:
mine is old ACD and all my graphics cards can support 1680 x 1050, try reinstall the driver

only one of the graphic card that i have manage to make ACD display the POST and bootup screen
I don't have an ACD, but I don't see that resolution in my ATI's driver's list of resolutions, which is why I thought it might not work. Obviously don't want to buy one to find that I have to use the closest resolution. ;p

The new ACD 20" at $1848 doesn't sound too bad tho the Dell is cheaper. At the previous price of $2848, it's rather pricey.

Regards
CK

Ya....when i did the price check just now...i was a bit surprised at the smaller differential....I was sure that the price was different a month ago before I bought my Dell 2001FP.

New price is a decent deal for....apple standards. :)

ckiang said:
The new ACD 20" at $1848 doesn't sound too bad tho the Dell is cheaper. At the previous price of $2848, it's rather pricey.

Regards
CK

Java_Guru said:
In terms of value the Dell 2001FP beats the 20" ACD(widescreen) -

Dell is SGD 1300 while ACD is SGD 1850.
Dell is 1600x1200 while ACD is 1680x1050.

U actually get more screen and pixels with the Dell 2001FP. Also, Dell has a money back gurantee (you pay shipping of $60), so if your dead/bright pixel is really bad, just send it back.

yes..that's true theortically.

I have two LCDs, one is 1600 x 1200 and the other one is the ACD which is 1680 x 1050. i also told myself that the ACD only 1680 x 1050, so mathematically there will be less working space compare to 1600 x1200.

But after I use it long enough, I realised that I prefer to have wider screen (can put two programs side by side and still have space for my ICQ list), that 80 pixels more does make a big different.

Also, the ACD is so much sharper and the colour also much nicer when I put the two screen side-by-side

ckiang said:
Well, they are Apple engineers! According to the forums it's more of a DVI issue, some incompatibility or implementation difference or something like that. The truly complaint ones are supposed to work.
Yes, I have a few graphic cards and only the newer one (X800XT) able to display POST screen. But I have to set in BIOS to boot from AGP first. Because I also have another Radeon card in PCI slot, so if I choose to boot from PCI first, the POST screen will display on the LCD that is connected to this PCI card.
I don't have an ACD, but I don't see that resolution in my ATI's driver's list of resolutions, which is why I thought it might not work. Obviously don't want to buy one to find that I have to use the closest resolution. ;p
that's because u need to plug in a ACD, then after your graphic card detected it, u will have all the widescreem resolution like 1680 x 1050.
display.png

I can even play games like half-life 2 and CS:source at 1680 x 1050 thru the DVI-ADC adapter. And yes, play CS on wide screen is better because i can see the enemy come in from left and right much earlier ;p

I've seen somewhere (online) where they have FLAT CRT's. (ie: its thickness is about the width of a box fan (maybe 5inches at most. don't think I've seen those at sim lim though.

but imho, once you've gone lcd, you can't go back to crt's.....I find CRT's big, clunky, heavy and mostly tend to die every 3 years or so.

samsung lcd's have a zero dead pixel policy with effect from this year I believe.

anyway, I'm waiting for 21" lcd's to drop in price, then buy a tv tuner as well. that way don't have to have a large tv in my room... (ok: i only got puny 14" tv cos no space.)

having said that, why do they make computer tables so big still.

loupgarou said:
having said that, why do they make computer tables so big still.

So that you have more space for your junk. Unused graphics cards, motherboards, CD coasters, and other chapalang stuff lying around now can fill over to the extra space released by using a LCD monitor
:devil:

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
So that you have more space for your junk. Unused graphics cards, motherboards, CD coasters, and other chapalang stuff lying around now can fill over to the extra space released by using a LCD monitor
:devil:

Regards
CK
Yeah, I have a stack of DVDs & my plugins for PS, a pair of wedding bears, CDRWs, Krisflyer leaflet and ... :bsmilie:

Hi...

Anyone uses Del Ultrasharp 1905FP? Any comments?

Specs looks ok.... may want to get this......

Thanks. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.