Any good entry level HD camcorders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacksmith

Dec 30, 2007
Singapore
Saw some models from Sony and Pana.. but all with a tiny 1/6" sensor. Not sure about their image quality.

If you think 1/6" is tiny than get 3CCD cmos cam 1/4" or 1/3" :thumbsup: Pana most user low price SONY if you like the name and logo :bsmilie:

Entry level HD cams? Or is it just entry level camcorders? HD camcorders usually don't have single 1/6" sensors.

Wait for the new 2009 camcorders to come out around March / April. Then the prices of the 2008 ones will drop. If price is your priority, then do that.

HD cams - Samsung HMX-20 & Canon HF/HG (not HFS) family. Both are among the cheapest full HD cameras and according to the reviews are the 2 best in the imaging (I haven't used all long enough to know, I only know about my Canon HG)

IMHO, the best value for money HD camcorder by a country mile is the $1150 Samsung HMX20.
It has an incredibly oversized 1/1.8 inch CMOS! This sensor is even slightly bigger than those found in $12,000 XDCAMs! Read the reviews on camcorderinfo.com
dcr_Samsung_SC-HMX20C.jpg

Hi I'm Edwin and this is my very first posting. I just joined this forum because i wanted to buy a video cam for my holiday and wedding shoot. I am still very confused in getting which brand and model. In fact my friend which is into photography recommend me in buying Sony. I went to Best yesterday but the sale man gave me second opinion. He recommend me JVC or Panasonic. I am not a professional and in fact is my first time buying and shooting. Could all the big brothers and sisters here give me some advises to which is best for me. Budget wise is about 2k or less. I'm very lost. Please help me.

Hi I'm Edwin and this is my very first posting. I just joined this forum because i wanted to buy a video cam for my holiday and wedding shoot. I am still very confused in getting which brand and model. In fact my friend which is into photography recommend me in buying Sony. I went to Best yesterday but the sale man gave me second opinion. He recommend me JVC or Panasonic. I am not a professional and in fact is my first time buying and shooting. Could all the big brothers and sisters here give me some advises to which is best for me. Budget wise is about 2k or less. I'm very lost. Please help me.

If you are looking for used Canon HF10, please let me know. I got a set rarely use.

If you are looking for 2008 camcorder of the year Canon HV20, I have lightly used one for $700.(Orginally $2100) Comes with 3 batteries and an external charger. SMS me at 96961157 if interested.

First of all, you have to decide whether you need a HD camcorder. If you do, then you need to decide the storage media - i.e. harddrive, flash drive, dvd, or dv. The best media IMO is flash drive.

Once you have decided that, then you go thru the various brands and offerings. I am using a Canon HF100 which I bought from Amazon for about $900 (it costs $1800 in Singapore). It uses 16GB SDHC card which can record 1 hr of the highest resolution video at full HD. Picture quality is good. I would recommend either Canon or Sony, the latter being more expensive. If you have the time, the models in US (but with NTSC playback) costs about 50% less.

Other notable brands will be JVC or Panasonic. May want to read websites on camcorder reviews.

One must add that even if they are using HF10s, who knows how much editing they have to do during POST. Especially with the jello effect.

Well, to shoot a hollywood feature with such small consumer cameras is crazy enough, the film looks awesome... i've seen excerpts of it already =X

Madness, of cos they uprez all the footage to a hardcore codec and grade it frm there.

Dled the trailer last month, good to see chester back! Must say though, it looks a hell lot better then crank 1.

Is it true that you must have a BluRay player in order to play back HD video on TV. Salesman said this.

If you buy a HD videocam and save the video to PC, you cannot use normal DVD RW drive to burn DVDRW in HD format?
And you cannot play back HD own-made-videos on normal DVD player to watch it on TV?

How true is it that you cannot see the difference between SD and HD video playback on a normal non-HD television.

You can cut it in AVCHD format and your DVD player will be able to play it. It will be in 1080.

Thanks.
Have 2 mini DV videocams.

Been looking at some Hardisk + memcard videocams lately.
Sony and Panasonic have some standard definition videocams at about $800 price range about 60GB + memcard recording + whopping 70X zoom + made in Japan (panasonic)
Sony model made in China but with CZ lens and 45x zoom.

The HD models are much higher priced.

DVD player can played AVCHD? which model??

Status
Not open for further replies.