any good ear phones to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
came across this brand audio technica lately
very expensive earphones .. though i never heard of it

Its a brand which been around for a quite a while...only recently shops have brought lower range fancy models.

I got my headphones around 60 bucks from HMV from way back i think 1998 or 1999, its still working sweet for me, only the hinges are alittle loose. Very durable...dropped them a few times...no problems.

looks something like this, but mine is transparent bengish. :bsmilie:

http://www.proaudiomart.com/_pageimages/AT_ath_m30_rendered.jpg

Check out the creative hearphones. Not bad.

Check out the creative hearphones. Not bad.

that's like in another group of price/quality range.

Stax is definitely one of the highest quality. They start via 4 digits, just the headphones, not even considering the amplifier.

I say for the price of an average lens, about three hundred bucks, you'd find a pretty decent pair of AKGs. That's my favourite brand. AKG 701 is about $530, AKG 240 is about $230. Lots of bass kick.

Classical music? Grados are the ones to pick. SR-60 is $120 and SR-80 is $170. The latter has a bass kick but both excel their areas. I find them too sharp for my ears, which their brother, Alessandro, makes up for it.

I don't like my Audio Technicas. The AD700 and the A700 seem weak in comparison with the others.

Best is to go down and test. I prefer headphones but if you're asking me about earphones, the Westone UM-1 or the Future Sonics FS-1 are my recommendations.

btw how many of you uses a headphone amp...esp portable ones...

:nono: for me

I would use the money to get a better headphone instead & plug it straight to CDP or amp.

Tried those portable amp; not impressed at all.

:)

Well, I do. No choice really with the stax. You must have the brand pre amp to charge the electrostatic panels up otherwise it does not work.

Mine is the SRM 1 / MK2 PP. (PP stands for both plugs professionnal type) The professionnal model does only have one pro plug. The other is a standard one.

M1pp.jpg

portable amps also need additional interconnects. just one short cable can go up to a hundred bucks. i think i'd just stick to a headphone.

i just order a XM4 off ebay to try. its a pretty nice little amp for headphones. i also rerip my songs to 320birate...trying to preserve all the details i can and let the amp do 'wonders'

hee. think next week will arrive...things are getting exciting here...hee

:nono: for me

I would use the money to get a better headphone instead & plug it straight to CDP or amp.

Tried those portable amp; not impressed at all.

:)

i tested 2 amps that day and seriously...there is a difference but the difference is not worth the trouble of hooking up to an amp....then again..i still ordered one from ebay.

maybe my background doing electronics is telling me there is a difference...lets hope those little transistors can do magic! haha.....me also order a opamp chip to change into the amp
incase not satisfy w the sound:embrass:

it really depends whether you need that extra 'power' and sound signature from the amp. i'm playing back mostly progressive trance and some classicals here and there with a ipod 4th gen 20gb with xtra-1 amp and AKG K271.

it's really down to what u want and how much you're welling to pay for it. it's like paying for a pns and dslr. that's all.

gotta conclude i need a new desktop amp. my one just died on me. china brand. pui!

i tested 2 amps that day and seriously...there is a difference but the difference is not worth the trouble of hooking up to an amp....then again..i still ordered one from ebay.

maybe my background doing electronics is telling me there is a difference...lets hope those little transistors can do magic! haha.....me also order a opamp chip to change into the amp
incase not satisfy w the sound:embrass:

i reckon that the format of the songs is more crucial than anything else.

I switched to MP3 with iPod, put it aside after a few weeks. the bass is not punchy & tight, and the high is struggling (distorted at time)

Now i have switched back CDP.. analogue sound again. :thumbsup:

anyone knows if the new shure e530 is good? or just a rebranded E5c?

I have the PX100 from sennheiser - cost me 60+ dollars and never felt like i needed anything else - detail, bass, comfort are all there. Considering to buy another sennheiser but in-ear type.

CD = analogue sound !? :bsmilie: This is new? Since when?:bsmilie:

ok ok.. just my assumption. not as fluid as those LP..:sweat:

Guess you must be a Turn Table man.

anyone knows if the new shure e530 is good? or just a rebranded E5c?

read that the e530 has rather brittle cables. there are owners( not in singapore) that claim to have broken the cable in just months but said they like it and shure got good service and exchange for them one to one. for me,i rather have a relaible pair them the service to exchange...troublesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.