Any good clubbing photographers to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

germ_boi

Oct 3, 2003
Sedna, Orion Stars
Visit site
Hi guys,

I will be covering a clubbing event for my friend. And it's pretty last minute. I'm shooting free for them so it's mutual understanding there could be slips in quality. Of course, I'm trying my best to be professional and not let that happen.

Anyone here could point to me some really good photographers who specialize in clubs? Better still, point me to their online URL. Hope to learn something good. I tried googling.. but no avail.

Any tips, could share here too!

Cheers.

1. bring a wide lens (you wont always be able to step back without stepping on someone)
2. f4 should be ok for most group shots if you're using a wide lens
3. use iso800 or iso1600 (and try to frame as much of the background lights in as possible)
4. shutter speed around 1/40s (nothing slower than 1/30s)
5. if you're using omnibounce and intend to aim it up, stick a bigger bounce card behind it
6. remember that they cant hear you, so use sign language
7. wave your hands inwards to gather them closer
8. hold out your palm and when you have their attention, show them your index finger to indicate you wish to take another photo
9. do check for people who jump into the photo at the last second just before you shoot (it happens very often and they get cropped off without you even noticing sometimes)
10. if there are too many people just behind them, lower your angle a bit

cheers

1. bring a wide lens (you wont always be able to step back without stepping on someone)
2. f4 should be ok for most group shots if you're using a wide lens
3. use iso800 or iso1600 (and try to frame as much of the background lights in as possible)
4. shutter speed around 1/40s (nothing slower than 1/30s)
5. if you're using omnibounce and intend to aim it up, stick a bigger bounce card behind it
6. remember that they cant hear you, so use sign language
7. wave your hands inwards to gather them closer
8. hold out your palm and when you have their attention, show them your index finger to indicate you wish to take another photo
9. do check for people who jump into the photo at the last second just before you shoot (it happens very often and they get cropped off without you even noticing sometimes)
10. if there are too many people just behind them, lower your angle a bit

cheers

nice review. i am not comfortable with f4 sometimes in group photos though, always use bout minimum f5.6 to f6.3 haha.

thanks... depends how wide your lens is i guess?
16mm to 30mm - f4
30mm to 40mm - f5.6
40mm to 50mm - f6.3

nice review. i am not comfortable with f4 sometimes in group photos though, always use bout minimum f5.6 to f6.3 haha.

using a 17-40. :)

Thanks for your review! I think I might be using flash but guess I will experiment tomorrow then. It's the event at St James, ohgenki and local designers showcase events.

no problem, g'luck! :)

using a 17-40. :)

Thanks for your review! I think I might be using flash but guess I will experiment tomorrow then. It's the event at St James, ohgenki and local designers showcase events.

just remember a bounce card is very essential due to very low light and perhaps very high ceiling. if is outdoor then no ceiling le :D

thanks for the headsup!

realised i lent my bouncecard (the foamy type) to my friend and not have it now. Made one new one in a jiffy. haha. Using Drawing board, not the best material, but will do.

See ya, will see if I get any acceptable shots then post them up here!

f5.6 to f6.3 means shutter going to be so slow liaoz le...f2.8 to f4 will be just nice...

Get Knight Ong, plenty of experience in covering events and difficult lighting situations, you tell him what photos you want, he delivers regardless of environment conditions :thumbsup:

f5.6 to f6.3 means shutter going to be so slow liaoz le...f2.8 to f4 will be just nice...

f2.8 then there would be shallow depth of field. some other row might be oof.

i shoot at 18mm most of the time for group photos, and aperture f5/.6 to f6.3.

no need to worry about shutter shake cause 1/3oth to 1/4oth is sharp enough. iso at 800 always.

I usually shoot with shutter slower than 1/40s (depending on the lighting in order to get the background light) and f4 (reasonably sharp to me)...

I shot many club events ... check out my Events portfolio...but i still find my photos cannot make it. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.