Any good basic photography course to recommend?

Chillibomber

Jun 29, 2012
Singapore
There are many basic courses posted in the forum. Could anyone share which one is good for picking up good foundational skills? Aim is to start with the course and subsequently move on to other courses at higher level. Thanks much. :)

Chillibomber said:
There are many basic courses posted in the forum. Could anyone share which one is good for picking up good foundational skills? Aim is to start with the course and subsequently move on to other courses at higher level. Thanks much. :)

I feel the best way is to read up and try it out yourself, no need to spend money on such courses or anything other courses unless you lack the equipment. (eg. Studio course)

Didn't your camera come with a free course?

Thanks for sharing. I favour a course for a few reasons: systematic, interactive (can clarify with teacher) and to build network with other photographers.

No it doesnt. Are you referring to those "how to use your camera" type of presentation?

No, most of the courses cover aperture, shutter speed, ISO, how to understand the exposure triangle, etc etc. All the basics to get you started.

No, I dont have such free course, but i'm willing to go for paid ones. Any advice to help me shortlist/choose is appreciated.

IMO, not necessary with the wealth of info on the net and youtube nowadays.
Its also digital too and not like film days, so one can experiment/learn at a faster rate.

Try a series like "Digital One on One" on youtube.
Very good coverage of the basics and more.

Thanks again. This one happens to be near my house so it's a bonus.

IMO, not necessary with the wealth of info on the net and youtube nowadays.
Its also digital too and not like film days, so one can experiment/learn at a faster rate.

Try a series like "Digital One on One" on youtube.
Very good coverage of the basics and more.

Thanks, but I really prefer the course route which i feel is best for my situation. With kids at home and many things vying for attention, attending course helps me ring-fence some time for learning the fundamentals.

Thanks, but I really prefer the course route which i feel is best for my situation. With kids at home and many things vying for attention, attending course helps me ring-fence some time for learning the fundamentals.

Up to you of course, but frankly, I feel its more like spending money hoping it will solve the problem.

Ah ya.... just hide at Starbucks after work for an hour a day to view 1-2 episode of the video and then go practice for the day.... :D

Up to you of course, but frankly, I feel its more like spending money hoping it will solve the problem.

Ah ya.... just hide at Starbucks after work for an hour a day to view 1-2 episode of the video and then go practice for the day.... :D

might as well ask him to join our gang this sat morning for shoot

join an outing, make friends, drink coffee. free and fun!

Sure will. I can join once the course is over. thanks for all the alternatives suggested. Appreciate it. Guess i am more "old school" and would prefer to go through a good foundation photography lesson first... Something that i've been wanting to do.

TS has a point,
sometime self taught learning is less structure,
need some planning for systematic learning,

so many people don't even want to learn basic, just want to go short cut, start running around before they can walk stably.
didn't know whatever genres of photography are build on the fundamental of photography theory,
without the foundation, they can't go anywhere further.

Sure will. I can join once the course is over. thanks for all the alternatives suggested. Appreciate it. Guess i am more "old school" and would prefer to go through a good foundation photography lesson first... Something that i've been wanting to do.

Bro. Of course you can join a course (which is good actually). But at the same time, you can join in our outing too. There are many seniors and very experience photographers that can provide you with heaps of informations and help if you ask. And that can also make it easier for you to understand some of the terms pointed out in or during your course :)

Hi Catchlights, thanks much for the affirmation.

Hi Rhino123, yes i would love to join the outings. I'm putting it till after the course to ensure that i do not upset the delicate family balance. Time to bring my kids to their lessons, coach their homework, bring them for meals, visit grandpa and grandma....

read your the supplied novel about a Spanish guy called Manual, in the meantime. most major brands provide soft copy too.

some brands have a magazine style Manual which is less technical and very well illustrated with photos and pictures. this usually comes as a separate document not included in your kit. I found this magazine style easier for me too

No idea man...I've been a courseless shooter since the beginning. Maybe join a facebook group for activities would be more beneficial and value for money.