Any good (and inexpensive) M42 screw mount lens to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I just bought a M42 to EOS adaptor and hope to play with some alternate lenses. Heard that Zenitar MC 16mm fisheye is quite good. Any one knows where I could get hold of one? Are there other good lenses to consider too?

mpenza said:
I just bought a M42 to EOS adaptor and hope to play with some alternate lenses. Heard that Zenitar MC 16mm fisheye is quite good. Any one knows where I could get hold of one? Are there other good lenses to consider too?

I've the Zenitar 16mm screw mount.
Can't get it to focus properly though. The infinity focus is off.
Never got this resolved and the lens sits in my dry box most of time.

Mr Wong from Fotographix Marketing in Chinatown point probably has some units left. Call him at 6223-7217 after 2pm

Note also that some Canon bodies cannot meter w M42 adapter.
EOS 30 cannot meter. I think is about 3 stops off.
EOS 3 is ok and meters correctly. Don't know about other bodies.

Some of the other Russian lenses which IMO are good are the Industar 61 50mm f2.8 Macro and the Helios 58mm f2.
They're dirt cheap on ebay. Another one to consider is the Carl Zeiss Jena 80mm (or 85mm? I forget) f2.8. This was made for the Pentacon 6 which is a medium format camera.

hope that helps

mpenza said:

1. Industar-61 L/Z 50mm f2.8 (Superb contrast, Tessar design formula, my favourite)
2. Mir-1B 37mm f2.8 (Winner of Grand Prix Brussels 1958)
3. Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0 (Legendary Portrait len, Carl Ziess Sonnar design formula)

Some Russian stuff to read

1. Pentacon 29/2.8
2. Pentacon 50/1.8
3. Pentacon 135/2.8

Something abt Pentacon 50/1.8

Or CJZ, Takumar and Fujinon EBC is suppose to be superb too.

whoelse said:
1. Industar-61 L/Z 50mm f2.8 (Superb contrast, Tessar design formula, my favourite)
2. Mir-1B 37mm f2.8 (Winner of Grand Prix Brussels 1958)
3. Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0 (Legendary Portrait len, Carl Ziess Sonnar design formula)

Some Russian stuff to read

1. Pentacon 29/2.8
2. Pentacon 50/1.8
3. Pentacon 135/2.8

Something abt Pentacon 50/1.8

Or CJZ, Takumar and Fujinon EBC is suppose to be superb too.

I've 2 of Mir-1B 37mm 2.8, a silver commerative version & normal black version. My experience hasnt been that great for both.
Still prefer the Industar
I find the Jupiter-9 a bit soft for my liking.

Just my preference, I guess.

darkavgr said:
I've 2 of Mir-1B 37mm 2.8, a silver commerative version & normal black version. My experience hasnt been that great for both.
Still prefer the Industar
I find the Jupiter-9 a bit soft for my liking.

Just my preference, I guess.

Yes, the industar. Best! so good that some people find it too contrasty :bsmilie:

J-9, f8-16 shd be quite sharp, wide open soft for portrait mah either like it or hate it.

thanks guys for the information and advice :) will hunt around for the interesting lenses when I'm freer :)

Just tried my Pracktica Carl Ziess Jena 300mm f4 on a 300D last night @ esplanade, shooting @ the building with the blue neon lamp @ the roof top @ CBD.

Very sharp, even canon 70-200, with and with out 1.4x APO cannot match.

Can see even the lines on the wall.

The cost is very reasonable, considering a 3rd party 300mm f4 lens going @ S$350 even when the AF is not working. And ITS A CARL ZIESS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.