Any FX lens to recommend for D600?

Raptor1

Sep 29, 2003
Singapore
kr.sg
Hi all,

I am considering to switch system from an olympus pen to d600.

Would like to shortlist a few lens to build up my system.

Currently, I use the 12mm (30%), 25mm (50%), 45mm (20%) on my pen system.

Hence, most probably i would want a wide zoom and a 50mm prime. But I am slightly loss on which model to get. Any advice?

12mm x 2 = 24mm

Nikon has plenty of 24mm options. Some are zooms, some are primes. Some are expensive, some are cheap.

Nikon Service Center has a showroom that allows you to test the lenses. You can go try them all there.

I would like to suggest a mix of manual focus and AF lenses.
You can save some money on MF lenses as they are mostly used and do not cost the earth. There are some very good MF lenses; you just need to do a bit of research to know which are the ones. One good thread to look up is "we love our manual focus lenses" on this forum.

You need to determine how to choose which MF for what purposes and which AF lens for what you do.

As a simple guide if you use WA lenses for mostly landscape, then MF would be suitable as you can take your time to focus and compose your scenes.
For action shots or when the subjects are moving a fair bit then AF would be suitable.
Even for street shooting and walkabout, a wide angle like the 28mmf2.8AIS a MF lens would be suitable as it has a wide DOF. Especially at smaller apertures; like at f8 or f11 the DOF is from about 2m to infinity; so that there is very little re-focusing needed. In this way you use your WA lens like a fixed focus lens - anything from 2m away can be shot without re-focusing.

I hope the above gives you some idea and set you off thinking about what to get. A good balance of MF and AF lenses.

you can also consider the

• AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
• AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
• AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/reviews/1153916-nikon-d600-quick-dirty-hands-2.html

3_lenses.jpg

wide zoom, if u need F/2.8, AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED (2.1x) , AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED (1.7x)
else F/4. AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR.

50mm prime, u have 4 choices :D
AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G

AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Hence, most probably i would want a wide zoom and a 50mm prime. But I am slightly loss on which model to get. Any advice?

wide zoom for fx:
17-35/2.8
16-35/4
or 14-24/2.8

if you are on budget, you can consider all-round lens like what ortega have mentioned up there.

i am thinking of this combination as well but on a D800
the D600 is more forgiving than the D800 so one zoom lens will do.

It's fine for D800 I guess, I've used it on my D800E, so far so good :)
Actually have been thinking if I wanted the 14-24 and add a 35mm prime, but after much pondering I've decided to take up the 16-35 VR.
The availability of filters for 16-35 is important and most of the time it's shot at small apertures so it isn't much difference from the 14-24 for web sizes.
Plus the focal range added up with VR makes it a very good walk-about and travel lens for me :D

Good combo..

yeah thanks :heart:

have thought of the 24-70mm as part of my line up, but dropped the idea due to the need for ultra wide focal length and I don't really like overlapping of focal length, especially the mid focal length region which I prefer primes ;p

Hi all,

I am considering to switch system from an olympus pen to d600.

Would like to shortlist a few lens to build up my system.

If i were you. and have limited budget.
Just get a 24-70. Job done and sweet. Its consider a wide-mid zoom and covers 50mm as well. :)

Thanks for all the great advice.

Was initially considering the 24-70mm f2.8 lens, but came across the post from Nikon FX Lenses ; Hence considering the Wide Zoom + 50mm prime combo.

I currently have a vintage Series 1 70-210mm macro lens. Bought this along with an adapter for my m43. Planning to use on d600. ^^

I use Wide mainly for environmental portraits (20%) and landscapes (80%).

For the 50mm prime, I am considering the f1.4 vs f1.8 version. (Contemplating between the G and D versions though) :(

Last edited:
Raptor1 said:

Was initially considering the 24-70mm f2.8 lens, but came across the post from Nikon FX Lenses ; Hence considering the Wide Zoom + 50mm prime combo.

I currently have a vintage Series 1 70-210mm macro lens. Bought this along with an adapter for my m43. Planning to use on d600. ^^

For the 50mm prime, I am considering the f1.4 vs f1.8 version. (Contemplating between the G and D versions though) :(

Forget type Ds and go for the Gs. The 1.8s are really impressive.

Forget type Ds and go for the Gs. The 1.8s are really impressive.

Yup TS, the 50mm and 85mm f/1.8 typically performs as good as 90% of the f/1.4s at about 1/3 to 1/4 of their price. Unless you have a thing about 9 aperture blades or Made in Japan or the Gold Ring and wants absolute performance at the wide open apertures, then pay more for the f/1.4s

Your only problem is if you want the 35mm prime. There isn't a f/1.8 FX alternative. The only alternative is the 35mm f/2D, but I'm not too impressed with the performance :(

Last edited:
Forget type Ds

Agree with this. The pentagon shape bokeh gave me a huge scare when I was using the 50mm Af-D. It's so sharp, including that weird shape bokeh :sweat:

Emm also how come no one mention Sigma 50mm? Not that expensive now, beats all the Nikon's version hands down too.

Why (of all people) would you let Ken Rockwell dictate what you should get? I suggest you stop reading his trash.

LOL!
well, ken's website has been popping up on my nikon related search =X

ortega: I have not bought it yet, highly possible within this 2 weeks :), still in the research and fund raising phase. ;)