Any forum on videography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S40

Jan 22, 2003
Bt Panjang
Visit site
Hi,
I'm into photography and videography 'cos of my little gal.
This forum has been a great help in providing lots of infos on photography, latest prices, and personal reviews. I've really benefitted from them.

But I'm unable to source for information on videography on the net, trying to find out what is the best videocams, brands and reviews.

I'm trying to source for a video capture card, but am unsure of which one to go for.
Anyone can help?

Originally posted by S40
Hi,
I'm into photography and videography 'cos of my little gal.
This forum has been a great help in providing lots of infos on photography, latest prices, and personal reviews. I've really benefitted from them.

But I'm unable to source for information on videography on the net, trying to find out what is the best videocams, brands and reviews.

I'm trying to source for a video capture card, but am unsure of which one to go for.
Anyone can help?

Videography?
There isn't low end videography forums around.. mostly Highend "cost you a daughter and wife" kind which goes into movies cinematography..

Best value video cam I can tell ya is the panasonic mx500..
Since it's a mini DV, u dun need a capture card.. a firewire card will do. If your computer has one built in, it's just a matter a install and GO! Extremely easy. Just make sure you have alot of Hard disk space.. ten mins of footage onto a computer in MINI DV RAW can eat up 20GB.

Reviews, you can try bookstore magazines on videography at kinokuniya or the library.. don't forget the age old source of information ya!

Hi,
10 mins of mini dv raw takes up 20GB? My harddisk is only 40GB, how to store 60 mins? I understand there is a lot of firewire cards in the market, but I'm not sure which to go for. Saw a Snazzi DV Premiere CUT at AP going for $60 only. http://www.snazzi.com/newsite/pages/products/premierecut.asp

Dunno whether it will be good enough

Originally posted by S40
Hi,
10 mins of mini dv raw takes up 20GB? My harddisk is only 40GB, how to store 60 mins? I understand there is a lot of firewire cards in the market, but I'm not sure which to go for. Saw a Snazzi DV Premiere CUT at AP going for $60 only. http://www.snazzi.com/newsite/pages/products/premierecut.asp

Dunno whether it will be good enough

yup. Prepare to purchase another 120GB of hard disk space if you want to edit it in the best quality. Using the snazzi DV Premier CUT, you can compress it to MPEG while you transfer and it will cut down the file size as MPEG is compressed. (hence ur 40GB HDD might be enough)

If your video is to be played back at home under budget, the Snazzi will do fine. There might be a loss in quality editing in MPEG with the Snazzi. But only a little which isn't that obvious.

Most firewire card today shouldn't be a problem. But do remember that edit video on anything below 1.8Ghz (pentium 4) or AXP1800+ (AMD Platform) will take a long while to render the clips as you edit.

Investments you need and requirements:
Ard 512MB or RAM
min 80Gb of HDD (120GB nowadays cost only ~$199)
a CDwriter to back stuff up and free up ur space and convert to SVCD to play on the TV.

Hmmm....seems there's a lot to be done to my PC.....

Which camcorder are u using at the moment?
I'm currently using the Sony TRV-33E, previously I was using a Digital 8 handycam.

Originally posted by viix

Just make sure you have alot of Hard disk space.. ten mins of footage onto a computer in MINI DV RAW can eat up 20GB.

Don't know how you arrive at that..

DV25
1 Gb holds approx. 4 minutes 58 seconds.
20 GB holds 98 -100 min.

Cheers,
Terence.

Originally posted by PentiumPC
Don't know how you arrive at that..

DV25
1 Gb holds approx. 4 minutes 58 seconds.
20 GB holds 98 -100 min.

Cheers,
Terence.

ops.. my mistake lol.. mixed up the format between mini DV and HD..
The actual is 1min approx 200mb for miniDV

I've done a little videography. Using a Sony TRV27E DV Camcorder, came with a firewire card and Ulead Video Editing s/w.

Have converted several videos from DV tape to VCDs. My experience is approx 1 hr. of DV format transferred to AVI format into the PC via the firewire will take up abt. 15G of h/d space.

With the Ulead editinig software (very user friendly), you can edit, add titling, still pics, transitions, voice over and background music (mp3) into your final product. This software allows you to burn the final product into CDRs, it auto detects the rype of CD Burner installed in your PC.

It allows you to burn as VCD mpeg1, VCD mpeg2, SVCD, DVD. Generally mpeg2 has better resolution than mpeg1, almost DVD quality. Burning mpeg2 and SVCD takes up more space in the CDRs, you can get abt. 30mins of video on a 700mb disc.

Other good editing s/w are Vegas Video, Pinnacle.

There are so many DV camcorders in the market. First know what you need and want, get some brochures and read specs. They come with a wide array of features: zoom mikes, low light shooting, 0 lux for almost total darkness shooting (in b/w), LCD screen size, megapixel, stablelising, still capture on memeory card and tape,etc.

Main difference in Mini DV and Micro DV is the tape and camera size, Micro DV cams being much smaller, palm size. But bear in mind, the smaller the cam and when you zoom all the way out, there's bound to be some camera shake. Even if the camera has stablelising you will still get shaky videos. It'll be fine if you carry around a tripod.

Hope this helps.
teerex

Originally posted by S40
Hmmm....seems there's a lot to be done to my PC.....

Which camcorder are u using at the moment?
I'm currently using the Sony TRV-33E, previously I was using a Digital 8 handycam.

TRV 33E is fine. It's how you shoot the video that makes a difference. I used to use a PD150, loaned.

Most mini DV cameras are quite good nowadays. The PD150 I had used on the other hand is for broadcast. They have accurate colours, but only slightly more than a consumer camera. One thing the PD150 is better is the option for a better mic, more controls, the 16:9 widescreen shooting options, anamorphic lens adapters and extremely amazing low loght shooting capability.

I had friends used the canon's XL1. These have interchangable lens, slighty noiser picture quality than the sony. If you ask me, the sony is better in quality, the canon better with it's lens options.

These are 3CCD cameras and are bigger than ur Sony TRV-33E.

A good prosumer camera is of course the panasonic MX500. It's a 3CCD camera, compact, and is almost as good as the sony PD150 in picture qualtiy. Else, the newer 24P cameras coming up might be worth a look. It's shoots video that looks a little more like film.
How true, I've yet to see a demo footage myself.

Again, most web links are pretty incomprehensive on video cameras available. Kinokuniya has alot of information magazines that are pretty up to date and accurate on the latest video cameras and techniques.. Do try to read up on them.

Cheers!

Originally posted by teerex

It allows you to burn as VCD mpeg1, VCD mpeg2, SVCD, DVD. Generally mpeg2 has better resolution than mpeg1, almost DVD quality. Burning mpeg2 and SVCD takes up more space in the CDRs, you can get abt. 30mins of video on a 700mb disc.

Hope this helps.
teerex

Does it mean that to get mpeg2, it must be stored under SVCD format?
One disadvantage of the TRV-33E that I have is that minimum light is 7 Lux w/o Night shot on.

Originally posted by viix
TRV 33E is fine. It's how you shoot the video that makes a difference. I used to use a PD150, loaned.

These are 3CCD cameras and are bigger than ur Sony TRV-33E.

A good prosumer camera is of course the panasonic MX500. It's a 3CCD camera, compact, and is almost as good as the sony PD150 in picture qualtiy. Else, the newer 24P cameras coming up might be worth a look. It's shoots video that looks a little more like film.
How true, I've yet to see a demo footage myself.

Again, most web links are pretty incomprehensive on video cameras available. Kinokuniya has alot of information magazines that are pretty up to date and accurate on the latest video cameras and techniques.. Do try to read up on them.

Cheers!

Yes, heard of 3CCD cameras before, and understands that Panasonic MX500 is the smallest 3CCD camcorder in the market. BUt....I'm used to having a Sony...furthermore TRV33E have Touch screen panel, which makes it easy to navigate the menus. And even if having a 3CCD means better picture quality, I need a good capturing device and a good PC, and DVD writer.......it is endless.
So I think TRV-33E should be good enuff for me at the moment...unless if econmony permits...

Yeh, there are few websites on videography. I hope the moderators can create a folder for viodeography here;)

Originally posted by S40
Does it mean that to get mpeg2, it must be stored under SVCD format?
One disadvantage of the TRV-33E that I have is that minimum light is 7 Lux w/o Night shot on.

Yes SVCD is mpeg2, takes up abt twice the amount of CDR space. 7 lux is good enough for most night shooting, 0 lux requires night shot to be switched on.

There's the optional Sony video light and flash incorporated into one unit. This can be mounted on the hot shoe of the camera and does not require additional power supply. It takes the power from the camera's info lithium battery.

I was thinking of getting the video flash Sony HVL-FDH4, but it seems a bit ex. Did check with Alan Foto but they dun stock on these.

Originally posted by S40
I was thinking of getting the video flash Sony HVL-FDH4, but it seems a bit ex. Did check with Alan Foto but they dun stock on these.

There is a store in Holland Village which I found the prices are reasonable, service ok? At least the staff there do not pull you by the arm and threaten to call the police if you don't buy.

The store's name is Paris Silk, web address :

http://www.parisilk.com

They give e-quotes too. Bought some items from them previously, called them up for prices and they are willing to quote you.. But still, check with other stores before you accept their price.

If I remember correctly, some months back they quoted me the HVL-FDH4 in the region of S$175/-. Try them.

I just check with Cathay photo and they are selling it at $195...
Phew! Sony is certainly making big bucks with all these accessories. Wonder whether is thereany compatible accessories in town...manage to source for a compatible lithium battery.

Yes, most manufacturers make big bucks through accessories. Another good example are the printer manufacturers, cost of printer is relatively cheap. But when you need ink cartridges, that's where they prosper.

Where did you buy your compatible battery, is it Info Lithium?

U can buy it from AP at SLS. Just tell them u need the compatible battery for Sony Handycam. Price is around $50. Yes, it is InfoLithium "M"

Status
Not open for further replies.