Any Formula One Fans here ? GP of Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
I cant wait for the GP of Montreal to start really. The qualifying results are really interesting. I have bets on Button, Trulli and Sato to win. And its looking decently good at the moment. I believe the Bridgestone tyres are somewhat lacking here. Sato is Montoya number two man. He had the best sector one timing, did a decent sector 2, and spun on sector 3 in qualifying. My heart sank, coz I support the rising Asian star. Oh well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

et tu, Marc? I'll be up at 2am to watch the live race on channel 10 as well. I'm hoping for another Schumacher victory, although it will be quite difficult for him to do this from P6.

I don't care much for Sato, "Asian rising star" or not. He might be fast but he drives like a clown. You remember his bungled attempt at passing Barrichello? Remember his incident with BAR 2 years ago, when he took out Ralf Schumacher? He is known for his over-ambitious moves, as opposed to the cool and calculated style of Schumacher or Hakkinen.

Also, never been much of a Button fan, probably because I get irritated by the British press fawning adulation of him. "The next Mansell" indeed - might be an appropriate label because Mansell was no great driver himself ;)

All I can say is - thank GOD Schumacher, Prost, Senna, Fangio, Hakkinen, and Villeneuve were not English. If they were, we would hear no end of it. Heck, they keep on going on about Stirling Moss and he never won a DWC.

Bring on the F1!! :)

Hey, I didnt know u were an F1 fan as well. Although I have been watching on and off since 8 yrs back, I have not really followed every season. I started seriously only during the Schuey and Hakkinen years, and I have never liked Schuey, simply because he wins far too easily. Then, I was supporting Hakkinen, and last yr I was going for Montoya. This year, it will be Takuma Sato and his team mate, but of course I still have a soft spot of DC and Raikkonen since they r frm mclaren. I dislike the Ferrari team as much as I love the Ferrari road cars, how contradicting, once again, because of their voodoo prowess. If u have noticed, I have always supported any driver that would challenge shuey, or keen enough to try provoke his tailend. But then again.......... I would love to have shuey in f1 till the day he dies, cant imagine f1 without someone who constantly bring the sport to new levels.
I've got some bets with the TAB, first time I'm betting on F1. Odds were good on Trulli 1:15 and sato 1:15.

Thanks for telling me it is on TEN network tonight. I've been flipping through the TV guide, and miraculously miss it. I'll be up too.

stayed up last night to watch the qualifying, guess i'll stay up tonight to do the same. i think the ferraris were running heavy on fuel yesterday, looking at the timing, they about a full second behind the Ralf's Williams. They may be going for a two stopper tonight, Rubens has gone for that (2-stop) strategy for his last few races and the bridgestone seems to last longer also, anyway it's just my guess. =)

anyway, was at suntec just now, went pass the toy car shop (near carrefour) and saw the MP4-17D and F2002 on sale for $69.90. =)

I would like to see how Webber would go behind the wheel of something like a Ferrari or Mclaren, that Jag is holding him back.

james m said:
I would like to see how Webber would go behind the wheel of something like a Ferrari or Mclaren, that Jag is holding him back.

Agree to that :thumbsup:

I hope Kimi's fortunes improve soon and get some points but i guess it's be just too late. Don't know what happened to Maclaren this year. They just simply suck.

I would love to see Button win this. It was a shame in Monaco that he didn't win.

dear motorheaded snappers!

there was a thread to go sepang GP yeah? did u guys go? i din, coz was busy with school work. did go for sepang 02 and monaco 03, might go shanghai 04 this yr if possible/cost-effective.

was watching greece win portugal instead of qualifying, find the qual format boring, hence never watch much of it this past seasons. shall attempt to catch montreal tonight + eng vs fra! non-stop sports action!

i was a ferrari fan since 1999, until austria02. then i stopped supporting any particular team, i juz wanna watch gd racing. now i support anything that is anti-ms, he's the best, but makes the sport boring!

it's alwiz nice to see a driver win his first Gp, like last yr, so many drivers got to top of podium, nice, and trulli won monaco 04, :)

maybe we can meet up in some pub for some race one day.

see u at the chequred flag!

marcwang said:
I started seriously only during the Schuey and Hakkinen years, and I have never liked Schuey, simply because he wins far too easily. Then, I was supporting Hakkinen, and last yr I was going for Montoya. This year, it will be Takuma Sato and his team mate, but of course I still have a soft spot of DC and Raikkonen since they r frm mclaren.

You like DC and Raikkonen because they are from McLaren? :)

I hate Coulthard (or brick-head as I call him) as much as I hate the whole of McLaren International. Remember Coulthard during the Hakkinen years? Every year brick-head would say, "this is my year to win the DWC" and every year Hakkinen would blow him away. Hakkinen did not need to say anything - he just let his driving do the talking. In 1998 and 1999 McLaren easily had the best car on the grid but brick-head could not even finish second - EDDIE IRVINE of all people (in 1998) nearly took the DWC from Hakkinen, and Schumacher nearly did it in 1999. Brick-head then had his chance when Hakkinen retired, only to get blown away by another Finn who is barely out of his diapers. I wonder why McLaren continue to employ him when people like Fisichella can't find top drives.

Ron Dennis is a major PITA. Everything he says sounds forced and contrived, as if he is trying to hide the fact that he used to be a mechanic. It gives me great pleasure to watch McLaren languish at the bottom, challenging for places with the likes of Jaguar and Sauber just when they complete their multimillion dollar new headquarters (the Paragon - a typically wanky McLaren name), get involved with the SLR road car project, get themselves an expensive new motorhome, and try to branch out to hi-fi and other luxury goods.

There is only one other driver on the grid whom I hate as much as DC, and that is Montoya. Absolutely graceless loser, and a serial whinger. Keeps on blaming everyone else for his mistakes. Remember the last race when he locked up and slid into Ralf Schumacher, taking the hapless Ralf out of the race? He dared to raise his fist at Ralf. When he does badly, it's always "my car is too slow" or "my tyres went off" or "my mechanics stuffed up" or "backmarkers got in my way".

I am a Schuey fan. The man is an absolute pro, and is totally committed. He went to Ferrari in 1996, when they were nothing. He assembled a whole team of engineers and won the first DWC for Ferrari in 2000 after a hiatus of 21 years. Name another driver who has done that! Even Senna, Fangio, and Prost (my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all-time best drivers) didn't have the team skills that Schumacher has. We are living in historic times my friend - you will never see another man like Schumacher again. Enjoy watching him while you can, and tell your grandchildren that you grew up watching the Great Schumacher on TV.

Williams and Toyota disqualified in Canada

"Williams and Toyota disqualified in Canada"

The Williams and Toyota teams have been disqualified from the Canadian Grand Prix after stewards discovered irregularities on the brake ducts of their cars following Sunday’s race.

Williams drivers Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya had finished second and fifth respectively in the Montreal event, while Toyota’s Cristiano da Matta and Olivier Panis were eighth and tenth.

Their disqualification means that Ferrari’s Rubens Barrichello is elevated to second place in Sunday’s result, with Jenson Button taking third for BAR. Giancarlo Fisichella moves up to fourth for Sauber, ahead of the McLarens of Kimi Raikkonen and David Coulthard. Timo Glock scores world championship points for seventh on his Grand Prix debut for Jordan, with team mate Nick Heidfeld taking the final point in eighth.

Williams technical director Sam Michael told the news agency Reuters that his team would not be appealing the decision. He admitted that their brake ducts did not comply with regulations, but insisted that the discrepancy was an unintentional error that had not given their cars any performance advantage.

Toyota also accepted the decision, albeit reluctantly, with chassis technical director Mike Gascoyne similarly saying that an unforeseen error had led to their exclusion and that it had given them no performance gains.

"Unfortunately, the front brake ducts on our cars were found to be illegal after today's Canadian Grand Prix,” confirmed Gascoyne. “We presented a case to the Stewards of the Meeting, attributing the cause to a stack-up of manufacturing tolerances, stating that even with this, the brake ducts were still within a generally accepted tolerance level. The Stewards of the Meeting decided not to accept this case and whilst we are disappointed to lose our hard-fought eighth and tenth places, we have to accept their decision. It is Toyota's policy to always run cars that conform to all regulations. This is simply a regrettable and unforeseen issue that led to no competitive advantage."

John Howett, President of the Toyota team, added: "After an internal discussion with the relevant personnel, we intended to appeal against the disqualification imposed by the Stewards of the Meeting, however we were unable to meet the FIA appeal deadline. I must stress that the alleged technical infringement resulted in absolutely no increase in our performance level during today's race. The brake ducts on our race cars were still within a generally accepted tolerance level. We reluctantly accept this unpleasant penalty and must now look to next week's grand prix in Indianapolis."

fox said:
Don't know what happened to Maclaren this year. They just simply suck.

This year?

It's been quite a number of years since they have had one decent race. Even Minardi performs better than them. At least their engine don't go up in smokes.

I totally agree with your second statement. West McLaren Mercedes SUCKS! Perhaps the team management is more interested in real estate and bathroom fittings in the last few years?

Hope they pull up their socks soon.

Cheers,

schumi wins after starting from p6, and rubens 3rd (now 2nd?) from p7. that says a lot about the quality ferrari. :thumbsup:

i think instead of the rest of f1 grumbling about how schumi keeps winning, they should question why the other teams suck so badly. mclaren is having a horrific season with lots of reliability problems. bmw isn't faring much better with the constant bad-blood between their 2 drivers. renault also isn't as good this season. this has allowed bar honda to put up an impressive showing.

one thing i can't stand is steve slater. he doesn't seem to know his stuff. he makes all his way-off predictions (more like guesses) and keeps harping on traction control. everytime a driver drives a slower lap he immediately thinks there is a problem with the car. yesterday he keeps comparing the fuel load taken by ferrari vs the rest of the pack - 18 vs 24 blah blah blah. just wish he'd shut up and let chris goodwin do the talking.

madmacs said:
schumi wins after starting from p6, and rubens 3rd (now 2nd?) from p7. that says a lot about the quality ferrari. :thumbsup:

Well they were on 2-stop strategies, which was why they qualified so low - the cars were fat on fuel. To win, Ralf Schumacher had to pull out 1'13"s consistently so that he would have at least a 20 second lead by the final round of pitstops. The moment I saw he was only 10s ahead of Michael, I knew that Michael had the race in his pocket.

The F2004 is indeed a quality car. I am very pleased that they are still the team to beat after all their rivals announced that they have made "huge strides forward" over the winter break - remember all the hoo-ha McLaren and Williams made? Ferrari were so quiet - the only positive news was that they managed to break the lap record in Fiorano again - I was a bit afraid when I tuned in to the Melbourne GP.

madmacs said:
one thing i can't stand is steve slater. he doesn't seem to know his stuff. he makes all his way-off predictions (more like guesses) and keeps harping on traction control. everytime a driver drives a slower lap he immediately thinks there is a problem with the car. yesterday he keeps comparing the fuel load taken by ferrari vs the rest of the pack - 18 vs 24 blah blah blah. just wish he'd shut up and let chris goodwin do the talking.

Want a commentator that knows his stuff? Tune in to Malaysia's TV2, put up with the Bahasa Malaysia pre-race commentary and you'll get race commentary from ex-F1 drive Martin Brundle as well as James Allen. Allen's nothing special but at least Brundle has some real F1 experience to share, stuff about slipstreaming, overtaking, and strategy.

In fact, back when F1 races were shown on public TV (as opposed to cable TV now) I would still tune in to TV3 Malaysian broadcasts, put up with the poorer quality from the coil antenna to just to hear Brundle commentate with Murray Walker. Now that's classic. Inaccurate, and gaffe-loaded, but still more knowledgeable than our locals.

r32 said:
Want a commentator that knows his stuff? Tune in to Malaysia's TV2, put up with the Bahasa Malaysia pre-race commentary and you'll get race commentary from ex-F1 drive Martin Brundle as well as James Allen. Allen's nothing special but at least Brundle has some real F1 experience to share, stuff about slipstreaming, overtaking, and strategy.

In fact, back when F1 races were shown on public TV (as opposed to cable TV now) I would still tune in to TV3 Malaysian broadcasts, put up with the poorer quality from the coil antenna to just to hear Brundle commentate with Murray Walker. Now that's classic. Inaccurate, and gaffe-loaded, but still more knowledgeable than our locals.

HAH!! I am not alone! I used to tune a small TV to listen to ITV's commentary and watched the visual of StarSports.. ITV's commentary is first rate, especially with Martin Brundle. What i like about ITV is that ocassionally the commentators would stop talkin' and audience gets a chance to listen to sound of the engine moving up and down the gearboxes... It is always a thrill for me to listen to those back-firing and millisecond gear changes.
Well to be fair, the StarSports isn't as bad as the Aussie/Singaporean pair when we got free-to-air F1 coverage in the now-defunct Sports channel from MediaCrap.

So who's staying up to watch the USGP tonight?? Hope the two red cars shunt each other at Turn 1 :)

shall be watching USGP!! then spain vs portugal!!

red cars shunt each other? nah...am only anti-schumacher becoz i love F1 so much that i wanna see gd action. schu is the best, no one can dispute. but wish to see more drivers winning.

woohoo!

I'm wondering whether Schumacher (P2) can get to the first corner before Sato (in P3) takes him out with some mad kamikaze manoevre :bigeyes:

di0nysus said:
shall be watching USGP!! then spain vs portugal!!

red cars shunt each other? nah...am only anti-schumacher becoz i love F1 so much that i wanna see gd action. schu is the best, no one can dispute. but wish to see more drivers winning.

woohoo!

I am a Ferrari fan but seeing MS winning almost every race is kinda boring. But then again we can't blame the red cars, it is the pathetic oppositions that needs to raise the game..

Very happy that Sato got his very well deserved 3rd place..
Very disappointed JPM got black-flagged..
:bigeyes: Two McLaren actually finished the race!!!
:thumbsup: Nice to see Minardi getting championship point.
:bigeyes: Toyota.. what can i say... what a surprise to see them so strong.
:sweat: Thank goodness Ralf is ok after that high speed shunt.. For a moment I got the Senna image in my mind.. Luckily he's OK.
:bigeyes: Rubens going for MS - That's not something u see every day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.