Any feedback for Asian Aerospace 2004?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdoit

Sep 29, 2003
Locations
Wonder why everybody so quiet after the AA04.

Ok, things to complain.
The queue is damn long because of the tight security check. Personally I don't think it need to go until that extent. It just waste people's money and time.
Somemore no camera is allowed in the WCA. Don't know why the authority so timid like a mouse.

Next time
-Bring your own food although the ticket for AA04 states that no camera and food are allowed for commercial reason. I queued until 2:**pm to get my 10 dollars meal.
-Take bus 19 instead of the free shutter, it cost a bit more but you will save a lot of time.
-Get a 2x converter, mine can go to 400mm but still not enough to fill at least half frame. Don't worry about the speed, even at 400mm is not a problem to track fast moving jet.

I am not sure whether I will go for the next Asian Aerospace 2 years later. because the aircraft I can see this time is very limited and old except for the typhoon and J35.
Maybe my expectation is too high, I was hoping to see Russian fighter jet like SU-30, S37, F22, MIG in the air and on the ground.

justdoit said:
Wonder why everybody so quiet after the AA04.

Ok, things to complain.
The queue is damn long because of the tight security check. Personally I don't think it need to go until that extent. It just waste people's money and time.
Somemore no camera is allowed in the WCA. Don't know why the authority so timid like a mouse.

Next time
-Bring your own food although the ticket for AA04 states that no camera and food are allowed for commercial reason. I queued until 2:**pm to get my 10 dollars meal.
-Take bus 19 instead of the free shutter, it cost a bit more but you will save a lot of time.
-Get a 2x converter, mine can go to 400mm but still not enough to fill at least half frame. Don't worry about the speed, even at 400mm is not a problem to track fast moving jet.

I am not sure whether I will go for the next Asian Aerospace 2 years later. because the aircraft I can see this time is very limited and old except for the typhoon and J35.
Maybe my expectation is too high, I was hoping to see Russian fighter jet like SU-30, S37, F22, MIG in the air and on the ground.

Well, I'm quite disappointed with the static display. I was looking thru photos taken in 1992 aerospace on sat evening, and there were A-10, Su-27, Blackhawk, F-16, F-15, Harrier Jumpjet, and many more. Seems to me personally that there are lesser and lesser on static display each show.

Probably will only go for the static display in 2 years time.

I'm very disappointed. I think this will be my last visit to Asia Aerospace.

let's not forget that AA is geared towards buyers and not us hobbyist/amateur photographers. be thankful that you can see the planes demonstrating moves during peacetime, that you'll never see unless it is wartime.

for certain areas, it is just because there's sensitive or classified aircraft/items on display for trade/VVIP only, and not for public eyes. one snapshot could jeopardize a highly classified project. once again, remember that the event's for trade/military people, not photographers... we are blessed that the event is even held in singapore already.

skyflash said:
The first asian aerospace exhibitions were near the end of the Cold War. And, many planes are operational back then. In recent years, many of the famous warrior has retired (budget constraints? outdated?).

I think Langkawi air show (next year) might be interesting. At least the Russia are still trying to showcase their prototypes. :p Heard that the display is much nearer to the audience too.

FYI most of the aircraft that were seen back in 1992 are still in service. Although the F-14 is slowly being phased out and being replaced by the F-18F.

clement said:
I'm very disappointed. I think this will be my last visit to Asia Aerospace.

Me too! I was there on Sunday, the airshow was quite ho-hum, and worse, I only counted 14 aircraft in the static display area (not counting WCA)! What happened to the rest? It was not as adverstised (http://www.asianaerospace.com/ap_static.asp). Considering I paid up full for 2 tickets it was a real rip-off and waste of time ;( . I'm definitely writing to the organisers.

The last day's static display was plain horrible. The only military aircraft that I could take pictures of was the solitary F-15E. Though it was interesting subject since it was naked and was almost brand new off the factory.

mobiledeath said:
The last day's static display was plain horrible. The only military aircraft that I could take pictures of was the solitary F-15E. Though it was interesting subject since it was naked and was almost brand new off the factory.

If any of you are as unhappy about the static display as I am, may I suggest that you write to <reedexpo.com.sg> and voice your dissatisfaction, as I have. Only 14-15 of the 46 aircraft on display! I am very mad with the organisers for wasting my Sunday afternoon.

The facts that this exhibition more towards buyers and potential customer doesn't justify the 30 dollars cost to see a few old aeroplane with 3 hours of travelling time and long queueing under scorching sunlight.
Those with gastric or health problem better don't go.

I don't think snapping on their aeroplane will steal away any sensitive information like electronic signal, material used.
We get to see the engines, parts in main hall anyway.
Go and search google for F22, JSF, J35, F15e, you will see alot of photo and technical info of them.
2 years ago, my brother was there to shot the B1, F15 placed on the ground.

eddietkm said:
Well, I'm quite disappointed with the static display. I was looking thru photos taken in 1992 aerospace on sat evening, and there were A-10, Su-27, Blackhawk, F-16, F-15, Harrier Jumpjet, and many more. Seems to me personally that there are lesser and lesser on static display each show.

Probably will only go for the static display in 2 years time.

Yup I was there during 92 and I got some really good shots free. I was at Changi Beach. The air display was much superior and the Russians were there too. I cancelled going to AA 2004 at the very last minute after seeing the photos in CS. It does not look impressive at all. So I slept at home. Yawn.....what a rest. Feel great on Monday too.

The manufacturers come not because they like being photographed, but because they can sell. Since Singapore is evaluating Rafale, F-15 and Typhoon, they came. The rest stayed away because they will not sell much anyway.

The other countries in the region are either buying from resale/scrap market or have their own shows and trying to compete with AA. The only 'big' buyers are China and India and they get special shows when they are in market...

So better to go to changi beach and watch FOC instead of looking at plastic models...that's what I did. $21 is high, but since even that attracts huge volumes, no incentive to cut that down...

justdoit said:
The facts that this exhibition more towards buyers and potential customer doesn't justify the 30 dollars cost to see a few old aeroplane with 3 hours of travelling time and long queueing under scorching sunlight.
Those with gastric or health problem better don't go.

I don't think snapping on their aeroplane will steal away any sensitive information like electronic signal, material used.
We get to see the engines, parts in main hall anyway.
Go and search google for F22, JSF, J35, F15e, you will see alot of photo and technical info of them.
2 years ago, my brother was there to shot the B1, F15 placed on the ground.

Seems like I have made a good decision for not going to the show. :bsmilie:
The AA 2002 is as boring as this year. The B1 is flying in the sky, no static display. Static display for military plane is only the 2 F-15E,1 Mirage 2000, 2 F16, one from US and another from SAF. :thumbsd:

Well, 2 yrs ago my friend and I visited the AA but I did not take any photos. We even missed the flying display. If not for the complimentary tickets we wud not even go to the show, far away as I am staying on the west side.

This year AA seem to have attracted more crowds, I got 4 complimentary tickets and gave away 3 to my friends. They say don't have they will go and buy themselves, see how power is the show?

I arrived late on Sunday and the flying display was already half way through, well still not so bad to catch some pictures. And make a trip to the exhibition halls snap snap a few pix.

I was told the trade days were better than the 2 public days, maybe next AA show try to go during the weekdays as it will not be so crowded. As for security was tight, it is good for us. Who wants anything to happens during this events, rite? :D

I have been to every Asian Aerospace since 1992.

With the exception of the 2002 and 2004, after 2001's Sept 11 attack. The security was quite lax.

The tightened security (snipers on towers, MP5s, metal detectors, X-ray scanning....etc) did make entering a little longer.

If you want to go in then you should be mentally prepared for such delays, just as most air travellers have to check in earlier for flights bound to USA.

To faciliate such checks, It is recommended to carry a waist pouch and store all metal objects such as keys, coin pouch..etc there
When passing metal detectors, just remove the waist pouch and drop it in the "basket" and walk through.
For X-ray inspections, bring the bare essentials and try not to carry a bag with numerous small compartments, as it will delay the queue if the guard wants to carry out a hand inspection and unzip all the numerous small pockets.

As for the food and drinks, it is common knowledge food is Super expensive and even you can afford it, seats are rare and queues are long.
Can drinks are usually priced at $2 or $2.50, and are sold for "Cheaper" prices after 3pm on the last day. Usually at $1.50. (since expensive)

Every time, I will pack lunch, sandwiches, and bring lots of water, at least 1 to 2 litres.
Biscuits are useful as snacks too. Chocolates like Snickers or MARS are not recommended they melt in the hot heat.
Milk based food, like nasi lemak and yogurt...etc also spoil faster in hot weather.

As the weather is very hot, most people will recommend casual wear.
Based on past experiences, I rather chose to wear LONG SLEEVED shirt.
Most people will find it Strange.

It is because T-shirt or polo or long sleeve, you will still feel HOT, but if you wear long sleeve you will not get Sun burn on your arms.
I wore T-shirt on AA2002 and went home with red arms and neck.
So I rather wear long sleeve but loose clothing, at least I get hot and sweat but not sunburnt.
Unless you intend to apply sunblock which I don't have.

As for the journey home, unless you have tickets stubs and can take shuttle bus AA2004. Try to board the bus at bus-stops in which arriving visitor's alight so you get a higher chance to board it.
like the one at the Changi Cargo Complex where most people on bus 19 will get off.

OK these are some pointers to prepare yourself for the next asian aerospace or any mass outdoor event like NDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.