Any Expert here on DIY Inkjet Photo Lamination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oly5050

Feb 1, 2005
Hi, looking to laminate some inkjet photos. But dun want to use those pouch lamination cos they are too thick and hard and seem to make the photos less clear. Anyone knows what is a DIY method of performing glossy lamination of photos? I have been googling it and have found hot and cold lamination methods. Seems like cold lamination is most likely the way to go but I have not found any detailed read on how to do it.

Also, besides Art Friend, anyone knows where I can go to buy equipment / supplies for these things? Thanks.

Ok, how abt where to buy glossy laminate film and also does anyone know how to diy apply it well?

Not sure about the glossy lamination but to do a good lamination, other than getting the better quality pouches, the lamination machine is also very important. There are only choices for pouches but I have found the Japanese brand is quite good.

The cheaper laminating machines that are on offer uses 2 rollers machines and the more professional ones use 4 rollers. You can visit the Funan stationary store at the 2nd level. They will have all sorts of lamination machines and the staff there are knowledgeable (ask for the ones who are familiar with them).

Thanks! Appreciate the info!

Some additional information. The 4-rollers laminating machine will provide a more straight and clear lamination as compare to the 2-rollers one. The main reason why you get a not so clear lamination is because of the 2-rollers machine was unable to seal the surface completely.

I bought a Japanese made A3 laminating machine from that Funan stationary store a few months ago. The brand is Asmix. They also make laminating pouches and I found their pouches are very good as well.

Thanks again. Got my 4 roller. But i see very fine scratches on the laminate. Wat ocan i do? Wld a lamination pouch CARRIER help or is it something else?

Most likely you have dirty rollers.

Cleaning the rollers

After laminating every 100 items, there might be residual or adhesive build-up on the rollers and cause scratches on the film. To maintain good result, regular cleaning is required.
[1] Switch on the machine, turn the temperature controller (if any) to medium heat and wait until the machine ready light is on.
[2] Fold up 2pcs of unused copy paper (become 4-ply) with folded side goes in first. Pass them through the machine 10 times to clean the rollers.

Thanks again!! You are a godsend. The people are Funan are really knowledgeable about the laminators and they did have a good range there plus laminating pouches. Only they dun have cold laminating sheets. In any case, thanks for the tip on cleaning the rollers. Will give it a try.

You are welcome. Actually cold lamination is not that popular.

I always thought hot lamination is better since it fuses/bonds to the paper much better and should provide a clearer image. But, I must not assume too much since I have no experience with cold lamination.

Status
Not open for further replies.