any experience with helicopter photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

emollientcolt

Aug 20, 2003
Punggol Drive
hi, anyone has any experience taking photos from a helicopter?
vibrations?
zoom lens?

The proper way to take pictures from any moving vehicle would be to use gyroscopes and dampeners (for vibration). Of course in a car or a train gyroscopes aren't needed since they don't usually pitch, roll, or yaw, but in a helicopter these movements happen frequently.

The proper way to take pictures from any moving vehicle would be to use gyroscopes and dampeners (for vibration). Of course in a car or a train gyroscopes aren't needed since they don't usually pitch, roll, or yaw, but in a helicopter these movements happen frequently.
This is from your own experience?

HS

Bro, just checking but have you actually taken aerial photos before? Sure a gyro can ensure low shutter speeds and a stable platform but one can shoot handheld from a chopper as I have done many times in the past using 35mm and MF cameras. All depends on time of day and weather. Equipment wise, it depends on the type of shot and the altitude the chopper is allowed to hover. Here in Singapore there are strict limits to the flight path and altitude the pilot can fly, plus chopper time is expensive, so one has to work very fast. Typically I used 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and rarely a 105mm lenses on 35mm format. One person to shoot and another to load film and shoot with a backup camera. Zooms would rarely be used because: 1) the chopper is always moving and there isn't time to compose, so sequential shooting is a must, and we already know the rough angle of view of the prime lens we're using 2) light levels can be extremely bright since the chopper is usually flying in a large descending spiral over the subject, so lens flare is an issue, hence fast primes over zooms and no filters where possible. Flying in a chopper is very noisy, so everyone wears a headset to cut out the noise and to communicate with one another. There is noticeable vibration so shooting is usually at the highest shutter possible. The other issue is that it is easy to get airsick as even when hovering, there can be sudden gusts that will pitch the chopper up or down or sideways. No a nice experience for those with queasy tummys.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting read about your experience and I guess this is applicable when we are taking from a moving/vibrating platform.

:)

VR lens? ;p

This is from your own experience?

HS
not sure about him, but I have played with small pinhole cams mounted on R/C helis once. and that's basically what they did. The entire camera (very small only lah) was mounted on a 2 servo controlled axis. There is another 2 sensors that determine the pitch and yaw and compensate the movements accordingly. Very similiar to what VR systems have but more primitive and not as elegant. Restricted to small pinhole cams.

I'm sure being in the bright day in the heli would result in high shutter speeds therefore making pics less prone to shakes. :think: you wun be taking a heli in a dull/ dark and windy day right? :bsmilie:

Bro, just checking but have you actually taken aerial photos before? Sure a gyro can ensure low shutter speeds and a stable platform but one can shoot handheld from a chopper as I have done many times in the past using 35mm and MF cameras. All depends on time of day and weather. Equipment wise, it depends on the type of shot and the altitude the chopper is allowed to hover. Here in Singapore there are strict limits to the flight path and altitude the pilot can fly, plus chopper time is expensive, so one has to work very fast. Typically I used 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and rarely a 105mm lenses on 35mm format. One person to shoot and another to load film and shoot with a backup camera. Zooms would rarely be used because: 1) the chopper is always moving and there isn't time to compose, so sequential shooting is a must, and we already know the rough angle of view of the prime lens we're using 2) light levels can be extremely bright since the chopper is usually flying in a large descending spiral over the subject, so lens flare is an issue, hence fast primes over zooms and no filters where possible. Flying in a chopper is very noisy, so everyone wears a headset to cut out the noise and to communicate with one another. There is noticeable vibration so shooting is usually at the highest shutter possible. The other issue is that it is easy to get airsick as even when hovering, there can be sudden gusts that will pitch the chopper up or down or sideways. No a nice experience for those with queasy tummys.

I'm 17 mate, doesn't take a genius to figure out that I don't rent gyros or helicopters just for photography :) Yes, I have shot from a helicopter and obviously gyroscopes aren't needed. I said the proper way because equipment like that would give you more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.