Any Experience doing travel shooting alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giantcanopy

Feb 11, 2007
SG
Hi after taking my first travelling shots with my slr on my last hol, i am intrigued to ask seasoned travel shooters if you guys have any experience in shooting alone instead of in groups ?

Ryan

Doing travel shooting alone is great! (although i do appreciate company at times).

You're free to explore anything you have in mind, and becos you're just alone, you're perceived of less of a threat. The locals open up easily to you...

On the other hand, you're also perceived of as being vunerable when you're alone, hence your situational awareness has to be increased....

The thoughts of unimagineable freedom alone is amazing.
Safety will always be a concern, But if suay suay one person kenna mugged, two together will also kenna mug

you have any *troubles* going out with fellow shooting khakis ?

The thoughts of unimagineable freedom alone is amazing.
Safety will always be a concern, But if suay suay one person kenna mugged, two together will also kenna mug

you have any *troubles* going out with fellow shooting khakis ?

The problem with traveling with a group of pple is that each of them have a different objective to be in that country - some are shopping for the kill, some are there to settle business, some want to visit places u dun wan to visit or ask u to leave a place where u wish to stay longer.

Unless the traveling kakis are in for the shooting, otherwise I feel the coordination problem and lack of freedom will always be an issue.

I am speaking from an experience with a group of my kakis to Taipei. And guess wat? I am planning to go back to the same place coz I feel i havent taken enough photos there...

:bsmilie:

The problem with traveling with a group of pple is that each of them have a different objective to be in that country - some are shopping for the kill, some are there to settle business, some want to visit places u dun wan to visit or ask u to leave a place where u wish to stay longer.

Unless the traveling kakis are in for the shooting, otherwise I feel the coordination problem and lack of freedom will always be an issue.

I am speaking from an experience with a group of my kakis to Taipei. And guess wat? I am planning to go back to the same place coz I feel i havent taken enough photos there...

:bsmilie:

I agree with the diff objectives when travelling as a group. What i did before was before we depart, everybody agreed that at any pt in time, anyone is free to break off from the group to pursue his/her objectives. I guess as mature adults, such agreement shouldn't be difficult. As such, we had a great time meeting up for lunch or dinner while venturing out on our own sometimes when the "need" arises.

I agree with the diff objectives when travelling as a group. What i did before was before we depart, everybody agreed that at any pt in time, anyone is free to break off from the group to pursue his/her objectives. I guess as mature adults, such agreement shouldn't be difficult. As such, we had a great time meeting up for lunch or dinner while venturing out on our own sometimes when the "need" arises.

2 trips shooting alone, one was a short one in bangkok and a recent 8 day trip to rajasthan in india. I got cheated once, and it was very dumb cos lonely planet specifically mentioned that scam n i still kana... 4am, blur blur, wat to do..

I would say that there are pros and cons of more than 1 person... @ least it's more unlikely that u will fall to dumb scams like this... but i think if 1 person's main focus is photography and the other wanna cheong shopping..then yea..either u all split up, or both sides give way n compromise abit...

That being said, i enjoyed my solo trip, as i have total control over my schedule, where to go..how long to shoot etc...

Hi after taking my first travelling shots with my slr on my last hol, i am intrigued to ask seasoned travel shooters if you guys have any experience in shooting alone instead of in groups ?

Ryan

Where do you want to travel exactly? ;)

2 trips shooting alone, one was a short one in bangkok and a recent 8 day trip to rajasthan in india. I got cheated once, and it was very dumb cos lonely planet specifically mentioned that scam n i still kana... 4am, blur blur, wat to do..

I would say that there are pros and cons of more than 1 person... @ least it's more unlikely that u will fall to dumb scams like this... but i think if 1 person's main focus is photography and the other wanna cheong shopping..then yea..either u all split up, or both sides give way n compromise abit...

That being said, i enjoyed my solo trip, as i have total control over my schedule, where to go..how long to shoot etc...

Hi jkaiser,

sorry to hear abt the scam you encountered. Scams are everywhere...

Perhaps you would like to share the scam you encountered in India? We could all benefit from your experience.:)

I'm glad to see many others who enjoy travelling alone. My friends could never get it....:dunno:

Guess they have not tasted the freedom yet....it's quite addictive i must say....:bsmilie:

love travelling and shooting alone.
the freedom to go where i want and shoot wat i want.

Where do you want to travel exactly? ;)

I am planning to do a Milan -> Venice -> Florence -> Rome probably
in mid October for approximately 2 weeks.

I was thinking as a buddy/group we can go the same cities and have the same lodging / eurail seats and bookings but during the day / night we can pursue our individual objectives.
But of course maintain some kind of contact along the way.

In this way we can enjoy the complete solo flexibility but yet knowing that we are looking after one another ( in a way )

Ryan

i went on my solo trip late last year to Europe, Central America and to USA. Took me abt 4 months in total. It was great travelling alone. I could decide how much time I wanted to spend at each place without having any stress. I visited Florence twice in a month and managed to catch the marathon action while I was there on my 2nd trip.

Do be vigilant and keep a look out of people starring at you eyeing your camera equipment. I was in Rome and I didn't feel that safe, so what i did was to carry my tripod in my hand as a weapon.

But if you are backpacking, you will definately meet people along the way.

Have fun!

This is the only way to go.

Travel shoot is best done alone as you do not have to worry about people waiting for you while you set up for that *perfect* shot. And neither do you have to wait when you are ready to move on. When I was driving cross country in the US, I stop whener and wherever I feel like taking some photographs and the experience is great.

All the gurus have already spoken :D

Let me put in my 2 cents worth...

Personally, I prefer to shoot alone. If I go with a group whose interests are in shopping, eating etc., I split up with them and go on my own with arrangements to meet up later. It sure helps to have at least one buddy who has similar interests, but if I can't find one, I don't fret. I am quite comfortable travelling and shooting alone. I might be alone, but I don't feel lonely.

Got to take the usual precautions if venturing out at night (and sometimes during the day too) in certain parts of the world. Watch out for pickpockets, muggers etc.

thanks guys for the collective information!
Will try to rope ppl for the trip. else will give solo travelling a shot!

Ryan

you get to meet more people when you are travelling solo ... that is definately a plus

I have dont most of my travel shooting alone - recently NZ, Sydney (twice) and Spain.

Pros would be that you have a lot of freedom, don't have to worry about time, just snap snap snap. No one will get irritated with you. Also, it is far easier to approach ppl, smile, start talking and then get permission to take photos of them. Far less threatening when you are alone.

Big issue is safety. Not so bad in Sydney or NZ, but I was super careful in Spain. Almost got my bag snatched while coming off the train, lucky I was hugging on to it. The good thing about having a group is that you can watch one another, especially when you have to do vulnerable stuff like change the lens, or shoot when lugging other bags around.

Status
Not open for further replies.