Any exp with Sigma 120-300/2.8OS compared with Nikkor 300mm/2.8

aloksinha2001

Oct 1, 2011
Team,

I am trying to decide which of the two, can one bet on - they seem to be on the pretty expnsive range.

Does anyone have any experience to share between the
Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS
Nikkor 300mm/2.8

There seems to be very little on the net - to compare the two also.

I am looking to buy a zoom lens, would like to be assured that 40% less in the sigma price does not make me buy a brick.

Any first hand experience will be highly appreciated.

Alok

aloksinha2001 said:
Team,

I am trying to decide which of the two, can one bet on - they seem to be on the pretty expnsive range.

Does anyone have any experience to share between the
Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS
Nikkor 300mm/2.8

There seems to be very little on the net - to compare the two also.

I am looking to buy a zoom lens, would like to be assured that 40% less in the sigma price does not make me buy a brick.

Any first hand experience will be highly appreciated.

Alok

Well, one is a zoom lens the other is prime. If u want a zoom lens, then there's only one choice :)

I have used the 120-300 non-OS, decent lens but not in the same league as the prime, Sigma offerings get more impressive in recent years, but a zoom is still a zoom, its a matter of versatility vs quality. One main problem I have with Sigma is that its is much less useable when coupled with even a 1.4x converter. The Nikon Prime suffers marginally only with converter. But then my comparison is betw 120-300 non-OS vs 300VR2.

Last edited:
Well, one is a zoom lens the other is prime. If u want a zoom lens, then there's only one choice :)

Well thats not true ... it would seem that the owners and sigma both believe that the 120-300/2.8 delivers the same, if not better than sigma 300/2.8.

The query was primarily wrt to buying a Sigma 120-300/2.8 and Nikkor 300/2.8 - price difference of roughly 100%

alok

I have only used the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR
300mm f/2.8G ED VR II and it was impressive. Responsive and sharp, I really liked the lens.

I didn't get the chance to use a teleconverter though.

.....Sigma 300 F2.8 is not that impressive....but that is an older generation lens, perhaps when their new 300 F2.8 OS comes out it might be much better.

Hmm... so do we have a clear winner between Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS and Nikkor 300/2.8 ??

alok

Think based on IQ the clear winner is the nikkor 300 2.8. but if you include your budget that will complicate things. i ve used the Tokina AT-X Pro (gold ring) 300 2.8 and it was way sharp for my needs and a very reasonable price.