Any DVD writer to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I intend to get one to help archive my system and photos. Anyone tried TEAC DV-W50E (DVD-R/ RW) before? It costs less than $400 in SLS and seems good value for money.

mpenza, I suggest you wait a little while more for TDK's model, they seems to be up to some kind of promotional thingy in the upcoming IT show. I believe it will be much cheaper than what we expect :)

I got an NEC DVD+R with my new PC (Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading 3.0 GHz, 512MB RAM, 120GB S-ATA drive ... woooo hoooooooo), but haven't used it to burn any DVDs yet. But burning CD-Rs with it is pretty fast ....

Originally posted by Avatar
mpenza, I suggest you wait a little while more for TDK's model, they seems to be up to some kind of promotional thingy in the upcoming IT show. I believe it will be much cheaper than what we expect :)

Thanks for the info!

Darren, that's one fast machine!

-R and +R are different non-interchangeable formats. something like mp3 vs wav.

one band of companies (4got who liaoz) champion -R, another group champion +R

go to www.dvddemystified.com for a detailed look

I wonder if theres any that supports both? Or which is the safest bet right now?

sony DRU500A?

but still its better to wait for new ones

for PC or for Mac?

If PC go for sony loh

Mac go for pioneer A05

Originally posted by mpenza
I intend to get one to help archive my system and photos. Anyone tried TEAC DV-W50E (DVD-R/ RW) before? It costs less than $400 in SLS and seems good value for money.

Originally posted by Jason Ho
I wonder if theres any that supports both? Or which is the safest bet right now?

already got dual format DVD-writer that can support +/- wat...

but note that +R/+RW drives and media are more expensive than -R/-RW one

although the compatibility is better for +

i tried to burn DVD movie to both + and -R and even RW, both can play back on my standalone DVD player

try to get the 4x writing one lor...write one 4.3GB disc will take abt 15min

if you get the 2x one will be double the time

Originally posted by lyrrad
I'm confused with the -R and +R, anyone could shed any light?

Here are some examples of what DVD+R/+RW can do what DVD-R/-RW can't.

Lossless linking/sector replacement

Imagine now a DVD+RW can function like a floppy disc, lossless linking means that the drive can re-write any individual sectors with new data and yet fully compatible with any other drives. Therefore instead of re-writing the entire disc like DVD-RW, you can now update the data in the DVD+RW just like a floppy disc within seconds.

DVD+RW Video Recording support

As known as DVD+RW, this format allows you to re-edit any part of the video quickly without rewriting the entire disc.

Defect Management

This prevent reading error which will hang your players. This is a features which is not found in DVD-RW.

Addressing support during recording

This allows the writer to "track" the exact position where the writing process was interrupted, so that writing can be continued from that position.

Faster writing speed

In the past, DVD-R/-RW can write/rewrite @ 1x or write @ 2x with certified 2x media. However with DVD+R/+RW, you can now write @ 4x and re-write @ 2.4x. This will greatly cut down the burning time required.

One media type for all applications

Any DVD+R/+RW media can be used for different applications and purposes. You don?t have to get a media which is specially for copy protection or video recording.

Background Formatting

The drive will format the lead-in area automatically when you insert a DVD+RW media, then it will format the rest of the disc when there is no reading/writing operation. As a results, you can start burning to the DVD+RW without formatting the whole disc manually. In addition, background formatting will be interrupted when you take out the disc and yet it will still retain compatibility with any DVD players. Formatting will be continued when you insert the DVD+RW again.

Mount-Rainier Support

Thanks to lossless linking, you can now use a DVD+RW disc like a floppy disc without installing any software application. However you will need an OS that support Mount-Rainier.

CAV & CLV writing

CAV support gives you the fastest writing speed while CLV gives you best quality as the burning speed is constant across the entire disc.

See here for more info on DVD+R/RW and here for the comparison between DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. DVD-R/RW is an older format pioneered by Pioneer, and DVD+R/RW is a newer format supported by many companies. Best bet now is DVD+R/RW. :)

no signs of TDK DVD writer at PC Show.... only found two, HP300i @$399 after trade-in and Iomega DVD writer @ $409. bought the Iomega in the end.

Originally posted by mpenza
no signs of TDK DVD writer at PC Show.... only found two, HP300i @$399 after trade-in and Iomega DVD writer @ $409. bought the Iomega in the end.

coming next week ;)

I use Sony 500A. Now is 500AX. Very good with no problem of burning DVD+/- R/RW and CD R/RW.

Highly recommanded. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by kayaro888
I use Sony 500A. Now is 500AX. Very good with no problem of burning DVD+/- R/RW and CD R/RW.

Highly recommanded. :thumbsup:

but the price for the sony is....... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.