Any discounts for prolabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Liddo

Intending to print more than 200 digital pics and was wondering which prolab gives discounts for large number of prints.

Originally posted by Liddo
Intending to print more than 200 digital pics and was wondering which prolab gives discounts for large number of prints.

Generally, they don't give bulk discounts. But there are membership/discount schemes you can sign up to get discounts. Juvelyn has posted the thread where I have an elaboration of that. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Liddo

I've never seen a genuine pro lab anywhere in my travels that has offered discounts except to well established commercial clients who put through large orders on a regular basis. Then again no pro lab I've ever used had any sort of 'club' for users.

Guess you guys in Singapore either have it easy or don't have many real pro labs :)

Originally posted by Ian

I've never seen a genuine pro lab anywhere in my travels that has offered discounts except to well established commercial clients who put through large orders on a regular basis. Then again no pro lab I've ever used had any sort of 'club' for users.

Guess you guys in Singapore either have it easy or don't have many real pro labs :)

One pro lab here gives discounts to recognized photographic clubs in Singapore, another 2 has membership schemes whereby members have 10% discounts on processing/printing fees. :)

BTW, how do you define a "pro lab" ? ;)

Regards
CK

once i went straight to FUJI's HQ in AMK. counter girl quoted me S$4 per 4R print!!!!!! - (slide)

Originally posted by ckiang
BTW, how do you define a "pro lab" ? ;)

Regards
CK

Ok CK, you asked for it. This is pretty much what any decent pro-lab in the world can offer.

135, 120 and LF (4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 sheet film) processing using D&D technology rather than leader based processor technologies in both E6 and C41 chemistry.

Full service B/W development and printing service, including toning, hand printing and so on.

Contact proof printing.

Direct chrome to print printing (Ilfochrome or similar) as well as duplicate transparency production.

Duratrans Transparency production in-house

Ability to print all sizes up to 72" x 120" in conventional prints in both black and white and colour using both machine and hand printing as well as cropping etc.

Digital printing using either a Durst Lambda or Kodak Pegasus level printer that's good for 50m x 1.2m single strip printing for massive jobs.

Custom Enlargement via standalone enlargers if required.

Dry mounting, laminating and UV stabilization services.

The better grade of pro lab will also offer:

Drum scanning
Photographic retouching and airbrushing
Digital Image reworking
Courier services.

Thanks Ian, for the comprehensive list. :)

Well, that more of less confirms it. The pro labs here more or less has most of the services you mentioned. The one I use also has the Lamda.

A particular lab here uses the D&D technology, but it's known for having clip holes on the last frame, which has irked many a user here. ( "My best frame has been stapled!!" )

Regards
CK

A particular lab here uses the D&D technology, but it's known for having clip holes on the last frame, which has irked many a user here. ( "My best frame has been stapled!!" )

Regards
CK

Dip and Dunk doesn't use staples! The film is wound on to reels then loaded in to baskets. Sounds like the lab isn't doing the job right if that's happening.

www.fotohub.com --> they have reduced price of 4R digital print to 50 cents each, no handling fee if more than $5

heh - 200 prints sure more than $5 :D

http://www.photobeans.com/public/promotion.htm

"With every minimum purchase of 20 4R prints in a single order, you'll enjoy a 20% discount off the S$0.50 list price on every 4R prints in your order.

On top of that, handling and postal delivery to Singapore is reduced to S$3.50 per order irregardless of the print quantity."

Originally posted by Ian

Dip and Dunk doesn't use staples! The film is wound on to reels then loaded in to baskets. Sounds like the lab isn't doing the job right if that's happening.

I'd like to think so. But I'd rather not risk sending my film there anymore, after hearing people's horror stories. ;p

Regards
CK

Thanks Ian, for the comprehensive list. :)

Well, that more of less confirms it. The pro labs here more or less has most of the services you mentioned. The one I use also has the Lamda.

Regards
CK

Ok I'm gonna bite .. more or less isn't the same as does, so which ones don't they do so I can figure out if they really are pro labs or just full range minilabs passing off as pro labs. :devil:

Originally posted by Ian

Ok I'm gonna bite .. more or less isn't the same as does, so which ones don't they do so I can figure out if they really are pro labs or just full range minilabs passing off as pro labs. :devil:

Well, as long as they give me consistently good results, I am happy. :)

Regards
CK

Well, as long as they give me consistently good results, I am happy. :)

Regards
CK

Now now that's avoiding the question CK :devil:

Which services doesn't your lab offer?

Originally posted by Ian

Now now that's avoiding the question CK :devil:

Which services doesn't your lab offer?

Heheh, I don't have a full list of their services, but ....

- 135, 120 and LF (4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 sheet film) processing using D&D technology rather than leader based processor technologies in both E6 and C41 chemistry. (one uses D&D which irks some customers with the "staple holes" which are not supposed to be there, the others I didn't ask).

- hand printing, toning (not sure)
- Direct chrome to print printing (Ilfochrome or similar) -- they have fully converted to using Fuji Frontiers for slide to prints now. Can hardly find an Ilfochrome lab in Singapore now.

- Duratrans Transparency production in-house (not sure about this, but another lab does it).1

- Largest print size they offered and is listed in the price list is 30 x 40, using the Durst Lambda. Cropping/etc is available.

- Custom Enlargement via standalone enlargers if required. (don't think so)

- Dry mounting, laminating and UV stabilization services. (not sure)

- Drum scanning (another lab does this, not the one I frequent).
- Photographic retouching and airbrushing (not sure)
- Digital Image reworking (another lab does this)
- Courier services. (not too sure)

As you can see, the labs here seem to have a mixture of services. Not quite a full range of what you mentioned, so maybe it's just a more fully equipped minilab afterall ? :)

Regards
CK

A neighbourhood photo lab in Jurong West here prints 4R @ 35¢. Add $5 if less than 25 pieces. Quality don't know. The counter girl seemed knowledgeable.

Originally posted by KamWeng
A neighbourhood photo lab in Jurong West here prints 4R @ 35¢. Add $5 if less than 25 pieces. Quality don't know. The counter girl seemed knowledgeable.

Hey, do you know the name of the girl and shop?

The reason is because, the former operator of King's Express in SLS (I've consistently given them the thumbs up until they switched operators) has moved to another branch in Jurong West... So... been trying to locate her. She's quite good at it.

Originally posted by Richard
... been trying to locate her. She's quite good at it.

Woow, woow... real huh? ;) Just kidding.

I don't know both. Maybe I'll take a look tomorrow. I pass by everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.