Any digicam for cold countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.blitzstorm.com
Hi all,

Just asking for my friend as she's going for a holiday soon.

I understand that it's not advisable to use cameras in cold climates (snow etc..)

But is there any digicams that can tahan this kinda weather without getting the lens spoil?

Or if no choice, is there any type of counter measures when taking pictures in cold climates?

I'm also quite interested to know myself too :D

Appreciate any help!

I am not an expert on this matter but I am using one in freezing temperatures now. It works fine, in fact, I think there are less "hot" pixels. ;)

The only problem with taking pictures in cold weather is that you will have freezing fingers. I couldn't adjust the dials with my gloved hands so I had to do it with naked hands as quick as possible. I recommend a pair of thin gloves will help a lot for taking pictures in cold weather.

Here's some pictures I managed to take...

fence_std.jpg

thecut_std.jpg

clock_std.jpg

Also, beware of snow storms.. it's kinda hard to take any pictures in a snow storm. :cool:

That's some pretty nice shots u have there, wat cam are u using btw?

So while bringing ur cam out, won't there will be condensation on ur lens when u reach home?

How to prevent this if possible?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Blitz
So while bringing ur cam out, won't there will be condensation on ur lens when u reach home?

How to prevent this if possible?
Here's a simple rule of thumb to follow in general (this works whether you're in a cold climate country or moving in & out of rooms with varying temperatures):

Before you enter an area that is warmer than where you are at the moment, put on your lens cap and leave it on until after a few minutes of being in the warmer area. If not, leaving it in your camera bag works fine as well.

;)

i am using a nikon coolpix 995. I just got it recently with a huge chunk of my savings and now trying to learn how to use it...

I don't have the condensation problem because the humidity is so low here! However, I am not so sure about the more complex slr lenses.

taking pictures in the cold is sure an experience... coz it's hard to hold the camera steady when you are freezing. :cool:

Originally posted by Edmund
Here's a simple rule of thumb to follow in general (this works whether you're in a cold climate country or moving in & out of rooms with varying temperatures):

Before you enter an area that is warmer than where you are at the moment, put on your lens cap and leave it on until after a few minutes of being in the warmer area. If not, leaving it in your camera bag works fine as well.

;)

Thanks Edmund.

That means for example if I were to take pics outside, b4 I go back into my hotel room, I will need to put on my lens cap and that will prevent the condensation?

Come on man , this triks is only if your room temp is 30 Celsius ,and the out door temp is - 10 C or more ..

+/- 15 Celsius from the 30 Celsius as base ,does not create any problems in the DC .

The trik with the camera bag is the best and the most normal one .
Plus it does not need from you to do anything special other than just have the camera in the bag .

Originally posted by Blitz

Thanks Edmund.

That means for example if I were to take pics outside, b4 I go back into my hotel room, I will need to put on my lens cap and that will prevent the condensation?
Yes, thats right. Or you can also keep it in your camera bag.

Originally posted by syncmaster
Come on man , this triks is only if your room temp is 30 Celsius ,and the out door temp is - 10 C or more ..
Huh? What trick? You mean the lens cap on thing? If the temperature difference is that great, the preferred method would be to both keep the lens cap on and the camera in the bag for a few minutes.

Originally posted by syncmaster
+/- 15 Celsius from the 30 Celsius as base ,does not create any problems in the DC .

The trik with the camera bag is the best and the most normal one .
Plus it does not need from you to do anything special other than just have the camera in the bag .
Huh? Who said anything about creating problems in the DC? I was answering in relation to Blitz's query about condensation on the lens. Keeping the lens cap on does prevent condensation on the cool lens surface and its much more convenient than keeping the entire camera into its bag especially when you are hoping to take more shots soon.

Also, what makes you think that putting on the lens cap is something more special and different then putting the whole camera into its bag? :dunno:

Granted, it was my fault that I didn't explain more on which method works better in accordance to the amount of temperature varience, but what I have said in my previous post still stands. (And in case you are wondering, yes, I do have personal experiences to back me up)

Status
Not open for further replies.