Any Difference between Canon 580 EX and 580 EX II?

Gerald Lam CK

Jul 2, 2009
Admiralty
glamphotography-ck.blogspot.com
Hello i hope someone can help me on this. I have been using yonguo flash since i started photography 2 yrs ago and recently i rented a 580 EX II and was blown off by it's "power". i intend to get this flash but im not quite sure what's the diff between 580ex and 580exii? The price for 580 is ard $500 while the mark2 version is ard $680 which i tot was quite a diff.

im also thinking of buying a grey set if possible..anyone knows where i can get grey set?

Taken off wikipedia, i take it that u did google but can't find out exactly the differences..

"580 EX and 580 EX II
The Speedlite 580EX[10] and Speedlite 580EX II[11] are flashes made by Canon for use with their EOS line of cameras. The 580 EX was succeeded by the Speedlite 580EX II in early 2008. The flashes in the 500 EX series can act as a controller that enables wireless control of other flashes. They also have a slightly stronger maximum flash output and a more durable casing.

Canon Speedlite 580EX II (with the flash head in an upright position)
Key features of the 580 EX II that make it desirable are a built-in PC terminal, metal foot, faster recycling time and a much easier-to-use battery cover.[12][13"] "

Have a 'flashing' gd time. :) Basically a more upgraded version replaced.

thx for the reply....so basically no significant diff?

Depends if "a built-in PC terminal, metal foot, faster recycling time and a much easier-to-use battery cover" is significant to you or not.

btw 580EX might not be available new since it has been replaced by 580EX II. So if u'r looking for a brand new, u might have a hard time looking for one.

Just to add on, i believe some of the function like flash exposure compensation(if i remember correctly) is buried somewhere in the EX II menu but more accessible for EX. Might not bother u too much tho.

hmm...i saw shop selling $680 for local set and $620 for imported set. Are they good deals?

Maybe u should shop around first and ask for more quotations, then see which one selling cheaper, get that one. Please go to the reputable shops that had been recommended in the price guide section.

Another addition to 580exmk2 its weater sealed, i think 580exmk1 is not.

BNS selling for about 500-550 depending on e cond. Flash have .5mil recycling time so should be fine to get a good second hand one. Can save u for $100 at least.

Cheers