Any Daddys-to-be brought DSLR into delivery Room B4?

weeloong

Jan 4, 2011
Hi, my wife is delivering soon,

Juz want to ask for experience sharing if any ex-daddys-to-be brought their DSLRs into the delivery room to capture the arrival of your new-borns.

Photos may be ok but capturing video might be a prob.. unless of cuz they let u take your tripod in or something..

Gorrila-pod?

Thanks

Wee Loong

Ask the hospital staff. It's their policy.

I've done it on both occasions for my children.
Not a problem, but you are not allowed take medical procedures.
The mid-wire/nurse will let you know what you can't take, so its no big issue.
If you are fast and sneaky, you can grab a few un-allowed shots as well. (but don't keep doing it, else you get thrown out)
Different hospital has different standing order to nurses. Some are more "no - no -no" than others.
For me, Mount E. much better than Thompson. (But $$$ also much better) :D

No flash allowed. AFAIK.
Bring a fast lens of at f2.8 (faster is of course better).
Focal lengths will generally be around 18mm to 50mm so don't bring that 300/2.8 :D

Good luck and congrats in advance. ;)

Last edited:
yes i have but it's not recommended to use flash due to the distraction to the midwife.

The guideline is not to obstruct or distract them from assisting your wife at natural delivery.
If you do the assistant may stop you from continuing.

BTW...does your wife mind?

Hi, my wife is delivering soon,

Juz want to ask for experience sharing if any ex-daddys-to-be brought their DSLRs into the delivery room to capture the arrival of your new-borns.

Photos may be ok but capturing video might be a prob.. unless of cuz they let u take your tripod in or something..

Gorrila-pod?

Thanks

Wee Loong

I did that into delivery room, I asked permission from the gynaecolog and he got no problem with camera/DSLR during the delivery process.
One thing that he remind me about, when the situation critical I have to stop shooting and leave the room.

So while helping & supporting my wife during the delivery process, I kept on capturing the process with my right hand, I used 17-40 and no flash.
I have both still images and clips from my DSLR for our kids to see when they're grown up. :)
And I sent the soft copy + hard copy to the hospital too.. and they love them !

And the gynaecolog also into photography, he shoot Leica and RF he told me.. maybe he is Clubsnap member too ? :D

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

thanks for sharing...

Any advice for taking a quick family photo inside the room? =)

some hospital yes and some don't and some just still photo. Check with your gynea as well

Mine was ok with camera... nurse even reminded me "quick shoot shoot"...

5046583243_8f31433d09_m.jpg

btw, whatever you shoot, make sure it is rated "everyone can see".... :) enjoy the moment when your child is born.

Hi everyone,

thanks for sharing...

Any advice for taking a quick family photo inside the room? =)

Not sure about other hospitals (mine was at Mt Alvernia); after the baby is cleaned up, the new parents and baby will get some private time alone for awhile to encourage the baby to latch. That might be a good time for a quick family photo.

By the way, some things are not allowed to be shot, like the private parts of your wife etc... You can take pictures of the baby while they are being cleaned and when they are weighed.

But in the end, policies vary from hospital to hospital, an also from doctor to doctor.

AnsQ said:
hahaha, same here, the nurse saw me holding my camera and asked me, "Aren't you going to shoot?"

I was holding my wife, and camera was on the chair beside. ;) I was so overwhelmed that I was not thinking of shooting. That is when the nurse reminded me. LOL.

Btw TS, mine was at Thomson.

Last edited:
Mine was at Thomson. Allowed but no video cos it was a C section. Friendly docs even helped to take our first family portrait in the ER. No flash. Just bumped up the Iso and fire away.

just a couple of months ago, I was told by a staff in Thomson Medical that no photography allow in the delivery suite but allow outside in an area outside....
just check with your hospital for the latest update.

Check with the gyne if he/she says okay it will be fine. Just do the sensible thing - take pictures yes but do not obstruct them from working and not abandon wife or there will be words afterwards. Bring something small ie take off the grip use a fast lens may be a 50mm or fast zoom that's not looking like a small cannon.

Shot my daughter's delivery (abt 8years back) with a Kodak D265 - DSLR's then were still a little too pricey for most folks. Surprising the amount of blood in a natural delivery; doing something help deal with shock of seeing soooo much blood. Shoot the highest iso that will give clean file or hell post process forget doing iso 100/200.

Mine at thomson. Only bring s95.
Actually, I am more worried about the delivery.
I only start taking pictures when baby is cleaned with mother
Inside the delivery ward.
Then outside the ward, Take my son first video clip while the nurse weight him. Advantage of portable Pns is that u can take self portrait without disturb the nurses.

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and sharing!

Was contemplating if I should bring a PnS instead cuz wan to do family self-portrait.. but I guess I'll juz set the DSLR to a fool-proof mode for quick & sharp shooting..

will 50mm be a gd choice since i using a 1.6 cropped sensor? I'm still trying to master framing appropriately with this lens..

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and sharing!

Was contemplating if I should bring a PnS instead cuz wan to do family self-portrait.. but I guess I'll juz set the DSLR to a fool-proof mode for quick & sharp shooting..

will 50mm be a gd choice since i using a 1.6 cropped sensor? I'm still trying to master framing appropriately with this lens..

Might be too tight, depending on the delivery room size. i was using a tamron 17-50 f2.8.

I am actually posting this in the delivery suite and I had my 50mm, a pns and a handy cam with me. Think I need to compose myself rather than the photo in case too overwhelmed to capture the magical moment!