Any Custom Desktop Shops to recommend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I getting myself a Pentium 4, 2.6Ghz , Asus P4P-800X Motherboard ,2GB ram , Nvida 6600GT, CoolerMaster V8, 320GB HDD SATA. 480W PSU.

im wondering if my Ram slot, each one put 1GB =4GB , they say will spoil easily ah ?

I getting myself a Pentium 4, 2.6Ghz , Asus P4P-800X Motherboard ,2GB ram , Nvida 6600GT, CoolerMaster V8, 320GB HDD SATA. 480W PSU.

im wondering if my Ram slot, each one put 1GB =4GB , they say will spoil easily ah ?

bro, u dont really need the coolermaster V8, stock cooler given to u is good enough, only if u tell me you gona overclock.

Which part of the computer will spoil easily?
You have to ask them. Many of the dealers instill fear into
potential buyers.

I was asked why I want a 4GB Ram for a new rig and the guy at SLS told me that 2GB is more than enough.

When I asked a Duo core 2.0Ghz processor, the guy straight away say that it is better to get a better processor and recommend a 2.6Ghz.

He kept mom when I told him there is a Single core 1.8Ghz running perfectly since 2003.

Anyway, why are you getting a Pentium 4 and you can use the Duo core processor which will help to run your programs faster?

bro, u dont really need the coolermaster V8, stock cooler given to u is good enough, only if u tell me you gona overclock.

Haha, i always OVERCLOCK like siao one. thats one reason, another reason , i keep my com on for 24/7 , maybe once every 2mths have a day break .:bsmilie:

the previous time i overclock, my whole PSU had spark and smoke steaming off from it. :(

Which part of the computer will spoil easily?
You have to ask them. Many of the dealers instill fear into
potential buyers.

I was asked why I want a 4GB Ram for a new rig and the guy at SLS told me that 2GB is more than enough.

When I asked a Duo core 2.0Ghz processor, the guy straight away say that it is better to get a better processor and recommend a 2.6Ghz.

He kept mom when I told him there is a Single core 1.8Ghz running perfectly since 2003.

Anyway, why are you getting a Pentium 4 and you can use the Duo core processor which will help to run your programs faster?

Nah. i dont run much on my com. i only game on the desktop and maybe do abit PP.

okay, im a tech noob.

can anyone teach me how to push up my GHz? can it be done ?

my previous com i think it was 2.4Ghz, my uncle change to 3.4Ghz on Pentium 4 !

if you're new , i suggest not to push it too hard. anyway, Core2s and AMD AM2s are easily overclockable.

i have no experience in intel, as im a long time AMD fan, but i do have a core2 laptop :bsmilie:

btw, if you're just playing CS and warcraft, these are games which DO NOT require high end graphics. even onboard graphics can handle these games .

1TB hdd prices have dropped. i suggest a 500gb X2 and run RAID on it.

and my fav shop is Bell .lolz. sometimes i buy from other shops, but when im at SLS, i would normally drop by at bell to chat with the guys there. friendly and recommend things.

a way to Overclock is

RAMS
Good PSU
Good air flow.

you push your ratios

from maybe 200mhz to 205mhz. increase by 5mhz. dont go too far. if can boot without problems, increase another 5mhz.

for me, i increased to 245mhz X 10(cpu ratio)

Last edited:
haha, im a tech noob. another question .

if i buy the whole cpu without HDD.

i got my HDD with all my info inside , is the XP from my previous com will transfer over to the new one ? turn on will it be there already ?

no it wont. you can try, but if its possible, there will be conflict/problems later on.

its always best to do a clean installation on a new computer.

okay, im a tech noob.

can anyone teach me how to push up my GHz? can it be done ?

my previous com i think it was 2.4Ghz, my uncle change to 3.4Ghz on Pentium 4 !

As some one new to all this overclocking. I have been overclocking since the days of the Pentium 2. And one thing people who overclock knows, not all CPU are overclock friendly and it also depend on alot of other factors too. One CPU can be overclock alot more over another CPU speed are common.

Actually how much are you paying for this set up you mentioned. Ifyou are putting aside about $750 for your budget you are really getting pretty old models and parts. I could build a much faster rig with that kind of budget unless you have brought your price down by half. So are you saving money by buying cheap and then upclock your system to try to match today's modern righ like say a entry level Core2 Duo system?

Another thing to consider. Overclock reduce the life span of the CPU and motherboard required more power too. I bought an Asus MB that is out same time as the P4P800X boardyou mentioned about 2 over years ago. That board you bought support a max of 4gig. The config is you use 1,2 or 4 banks of slot at a time. You should be able to load all 4 ram slot at once but maybe the power consume is higher so maybe some people will say it might spoil the ram but I have never heard this. They shop could be telling you thins to make you buy the 2gig ram stick and not buy lower capacity and spreading them out. Actually I would rather buy one ram stick that is already 4gig if possible. But this ram should not be that cheap since you are buying older type of ram. The older ones cost more then the newer DDR2 for example.

haha, im a tech noob. another question .

if i buy the whole cpu without HDD.

i got my HDD with all my info inside , is the XP from my previous com will transfer over to the new one ? turn on will it be there already ?

I hope you have back up all your data from your old HDD. You can still use the old HDD in your new pc to save money. BUT the window XP you install in your new system install on your new PC may not recognise the old HDD till you REFORMAT it. This is some anti piracy things to prevent you from using the same XP program to install on another PC. Your old HDD will contain certain codes hidden from you that Window XP can see...and if you connect your old HDD to your PC...your computer bios will SEE the HDD BUT when you go into window and you use explorer to see the directory of your old HDD...you will find that it is missing. It is only when you format it from C:? prompt that you see it now. So I suspect it is some hidden code that does this. I think there is a third party solution for this but I am not sure about that. You have to google to get more details on that. For me, since I am always backing up...I just format and recycle my HDD in my new PC.

during last SITEX, acer had a quad core desktop for $799 if i remembered rightly.

i wont recommend you to overclock or spend so much, since you're only a light user.

a heavy user would be using rendering programmes, heavy and intense graphics/cpu usage or a hardcore gamer ( im midcore :p)

i overclock my cpu, graphics to achieve better results.

also, in the long run, overclocking kills your computer. a slow death. i have more CPUs than motherboards. in all i've about 4 spare CPUs and 10 dead motherboards, 6dead rams, 5 burnt PSU and more than 10 hdd. with only 4 dead graphics .

like hwat sammy said, not all cpus can overclock.

you might get the same CPU model , samae motherboard and rams but it wont clock the same.

the CPU batch, RAM chipsets and motherboards will differ.

anyone remembered the AMD athlon xp era ? the famouse 1700+ Athlon XP ? :) or the barton 2500+ ? lolz for amd fans..

different batch different results

during last SITEX, acer had a quad core desktop for $799 if i remembered rightly.

i wont recommend you to overclock or spend so much, since you're only a light user.

a heavy user would be using rendering programmes, heavy and intense graphics/cpu usage or a hardcore gamer ( im midcore :p)

i overclock my cpu, graphics to achieve better results.

also, in the long run, overclocking kills your computer. a slow death. i have more CPUs than motherboards. in all i've about 4 spare CPUs and 10 dead motherboards, 6dead rams, 5 burnt PSU and more than 10 hdd. with only 4 dead graphics .

like hwat sammy said, not all cpus can overclock.

you might get the same CPU model , samae motherboard and rams but it wont clock the same.

the CPU batch, RAM chipsets and motherboards will differ.

anyone remembered the AMD athlon xp era ? the famouse 1700+ Athlon XP ? :) or the barton 2500+ ? lolz for amd fans..

different batch different results

Oh , but i game very very long one lea. my longest was 17hrs non stop.
and i push my radeon 9500GT to its Max.

I hope you have back up all your data from your old HDD. You can still use the old HDD in your new pc to save money. BUT the window XP you install in your new system install on your new PC may not recognise the old HDD till you REFORMAT it. This is some anti piracy things to prevent you from using the same XP program to install on another PC. Your old HDD will contain certain codes hidden from you that Window XP can see...and if you connect your old HDD to your PC...your computer bios will SEE the HDD BUT when you go into window and you use explorer to see the directory of your old HDD...you will find that it is missing. It is only when you format it from C:? prompt that you see it now. So I suspect it is some hidden code that does this. I think there is a third party solution for this but I am not sure about that. You have to google to get more details on that. For me, since I am always backing up...I just format and recycle my HDD in my new PC.

man, i got 2 HDD, but i dont know which is one is from my previous com, my dad mixed them out with another com HDD. Or can i load 2 HDD in the CPU ?

i dont know if i got backup my files , Cause i dont mind just deleting it all away. i can re-install it and maybe transfer some of my files over from my laptop.

actually i bought it all sperately.

Im very tight on budget, not much money. so some parts like the Processer , motherboard and graphics buy from hardwarezone.sg.

than the rest are new. :(

I see...now I know what you mean. Well nothing wrong with that but because your budget is tight then you got to be careful with overclocking. Overclock are for people who likes playing with it and money is not an issue as we are aware if it breaks the hardware we know we have no choice but to buy a new part or parts. So as you are still a student becareful about overclocking.

Check website for information on overclock various CPU type. There are some listing you can find that tells you actrually how they overclock certain CPU and how far they can push it before it stops working. So if your chip has a limit, don't try to push it more then it is tated bu those overclock site. I also had that same CPU you plan to buy a few years back. It is not very overclock friendly. I push it to about 3.0. When I got it to 3.6ghz..I get data corruption and the system was unstable. When you overclock something it is not just that the CPU works fast you have to make sure other parts like MB and ram are able to handle it too if not you get system shutdown or there are data corruption happening at random. Same goes ver people who want to overclock their SVGA or RAM. There is a limit you can push it.

And if you like to leave your PC on a month before you shut down and reboot or just let it rest. Overclocking keeps your system running at a high pace for a lot longer. Life span of your PC will be shorter too.

The reason why CPU can be overcock is because CPU are not manufacture for a specific speed. In layman, they will product a chip and then tweaking the clock speed, power and timing..etc this will let them determine if the given setting they adjusted will keep the CPU clocking at a constant speed and stable enough to be sold. That mean, it can actually performance better and sometime, the same CPU has difference speed rating ...example... a CPU die of 2.0 can be the same CPU sold at 2.2 or 2.4 2.8. This is the untold story. So Intel make money and because some motherboard don;t let you have expect mode tweaking to check various setting, this situation is never known to a lot of people nor can they change it from a 2.0 to 2.4 for example. And it also depend on what type of motherboard you buy. But as I say, there is a limit as to how far you can push it. After that..anything can happen to it. So people who play overclock, tend to get information on how to overclock it safely or know what know problem that needs to be solve to push it beyond beyoung safe limits that usually means special cooling system that is almost like freezing the CPU heheh.. but how many can afford those hard core ways.

So becareful with pushing it unless you have spare cash around for you to buy replacement if something happens.

man, i got 2 HDD, but i dont know which is one is from my previous com, my dad mixed them out with another com HDD. Or can i load 2 HDD in the CPU ?

i dont know if i got backup my files , Cause i dont mind just deleting it all away. i can re-install it and maybe transfer some of my files over from my laptop.

heheh I have 3 HDDs in my present system. heheh ( 2 SATA + 1 EIDE )

Well...you can try to load them up see if your new PC's XP will recognise it since you are using the same XP s/w. IF it does...problem solve. You have a problem only when what I mention earlier happens..that is your new XP PC don 't recognizethe HDDs till you reformat them under the new XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.