Any comment on the ManU-Arsenal incident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin

Jan 18, 2002
SGP
Visit site
Anybody caught the match? Was quite disappointed by the behavior of the PROfessional footballers from Arsenal...any thoughts?

:thumbsd:

Dun care...
As long as Man Utd lose every game they play I happy liao. Regarless of the opponent...

Com'on... Me --> :flame: <--- U all

Ah, although i dislike man utd, i think arsenal is a disgrace. Especially Keown. Even if Ruud cheats..he 'cheats legally'. Its all part of the game. But what Arsenal did to him after his penalty miss is an absoulute disgrace. No 2 ways about it.

i think rvn has found his 2nd career option after pro soccer....theatre.

AReality said:
Dun care...
As long as Man Utd lose every game they play I happy liao. Regarless of the opponent...

Com'on... Me --> :flame: <--- U all

Looks like you might be very sad then :D

laugh said:
Ah, although i dislike man utd, i think arsenal is a disgrace. Especially Keown. Even if Ruud cheats..he 'cheats legally'. Its all part of the game. But what Arsenal did to him after his penalty miss is an absoulute disgrace. No 2 ways about it.

It's all about game man ship and Keown was a poor sport. Let's see if the English FA has any backbone and out it's foot down on such behavior. Imagine if that was done by Roy Keane. I'll bet that the papers would be all over it and blow it up into one big media circus. (Bigger than the current flood of articles in the incident) And better yet, i'll think that Arsene Wenger would happily condemm any Man Utd player who did that. It's all about perspective and well, after all the dust has settled, i'll the FA would have made a stand by then.

can anyone kindly enlighten me what keown did after the missed penalty?
didn't catch the match...thanks...

what keown and gang did after the penalty miss and after the final whistle was poor poor sportsmanship, cannot be condone.

looking at vieira's red card incident, i'm not sure if ruud received his belated yellow card for his initial lashing out at vieira, but if he didn't, the officials have gotten it all wrong. cardable offence for both, in fact more so for ruud cos there was actual contact from his intentional kicking of his right boot.

:blah: mmm....the arsenal and m u match is always classic to be remember

this includes the match flares :devil:

i don't even think Ruud "cheated". Yes he fouled Vieira and Vieira tried to kick out at Ruud. All Ruud did was to back off. And IMO(though I really dislike Arsenal), it shld not have been a red card for Vieira.

But what followed after the match was a complete disgrace. To see these kinda behaviour from England/ex-England internationals(Keown, Cole, Parlour) was truly shocking. Cheers to Ruud for just walking away......

Stefen said:
can anyone kindly enlighten me what keown did after the missed penalty?
didn't catch the match...thanks...

The arsenal players sort of jeered and jolted VNR after he miss the penalty. IMO, ManU should not have let him take the shot as he is already unsettled after the red card incident. The way he keeps trying to keep the ball on the spot before the penalty already tells me he's gonna missed....

Hope they get what they deserved...imagine, -2 pts for Arsenal and -1 for ManU...Chelsea all to gain!!

it is not a "sraight" red card for Viera but a 2nd yellow card.

from a professional view, reading the guideline of FIFA, Viera would deserve to be sent off although the challenge did not harm Ruud at all. It was a foul merely because it was not a sporting (professional footballer) behaviour by trying to kick Ruud's leg.

There was one incident in La Liga 1 season ago, a player celebrating by rubbing his private part infront of crowd after he had scored. And he was sent off by a straight red card. U may wonder why since he did not tackle anyone ??

Unprofessional behaviour in not accepted on a professional match.

Let me preface this reply by saying that I wasn't at the game.

On the radio back from a match, 606 was on and frankly, the comments from both sets of supporters at the time was absolutely awful. The Arsenal fans were ringing up and complaining about van Nistelrooy deliberately provoking Viera into getting sent off. And the Manchester United fans complaining about the Arsenal players' behaviour of Martin Keown after the penalty was awarded, several players after van Nistelrooy missed the penalty, and several players after the final whistle.

The thing that struck me was, both sets of fans were both so blinkered it was unbelievable. I have no doubt that both van Nistelrooy and the set of Arsenal players were at fault and behaved completely disgracefully. But I don't think you're entitled to have a right royal go at another team's players if your own players have been equally disgraceful. Not one fan rung up to say, Arsenal's players were crap, van Nistelrooy was equally crap. Well, no Arsenal or Man Utd fans anyway.

The fact is what van Nistelrooy did was disgraceful. That doesn't exculpate Viera... he should've known better and there was no excuse for his actions. Yes, Viera didn't hit him, but the intent was there and that is against the FIFA rules. At the same time... van Nistelrooy "simulated" the thing and just made the situation worse. And his initial tackle and going into the back of the Arsenal man wasn't smart either.

What the Arsenal players did was completely disgraceful too. I don't think that needs any explaining. And this doesn't make it any better, but does it make it any worse than the numerous punchups I see on the pitch every so often? The only thing in this case was that, as was pointed out, van Nistelrooy to his credit, didn't retaliate. Otherwise there would have been a punchup.

There is a lot of crud happening in the Premiership in the last two weeks. Robert Pires' penalty that really shouldn't have been. Kevin Phillips' penalty that really shouldn't have been (hmm, note a trend). Lucas Neill's awful tackle on Jamie Carragher and subsequent apparent lack of sufficient remorse - and this game I *was* at.

That players like Neill and Keown can protest their innocence in the face of blatant offences is pathetic. In Neill's case his additional lack of concern for a fellow footballer was completely contemptable.

Football in England at present is shameful. The entire Alan Pardew situation was embarrassing. And he's not the first manager that's been poached nor will he be the last. Are Chelsea waiting to poach Eriksson? Is Man Utd waiting to poach Martin O'Neill?

Are Man Utd going to be bought by a billionaire? Tabloid reports here, never reliable at the best of times, were rife with it at one stage. Four are apparently bidding for the right to do an Abramovic with Man Utd. How rich are they? "At least as rich as Abramovic" was the quote. I can see it now. At a meeting among the world's richest men. "I own Fulham" says Mhmd Al Fayed. "Well I own Chelsea", goes Abramovic. "I'm buying Arsenal" says some other rich bloke. "Well I own Man Utd, AC Milan, Real Madrid and Ajax" says Bill Gates...

So. Who does the Sultan of Brunei support?

NitroTech said:
i don't even think Ruud "cheated". Yes he fouled Vieira and Vieira tried to kick out at Ruud. All Ruud did was to back off. And IMO(though I really dislike Arsenal), it shld not have been a red card for Vieira.

But what followed after the match was a complete disgrace. To see these kinda behaviour from England/ex-England internationals(Keown, Cole, Parlour) was truly shocking. Cheers to Ruud for just walking away......

Agree. Ruud didn't cheat. We will see how FA decides on this.

At the same time... van Nistelrooy "simulated" the thing and just made the situation worse. Agree. Ruud didn't cheat. We will see how FA decides on this.

It is ok to simulate the situation.at least FIFA guideline does not state that it is not allowed. Ruud was not doing anything disgraceful according to FIFA rule.

Back to World Cup 1998, Beckham purposely kicked Simone. Even if I used half of my brain, I could tell that the kick was not that harmful at all. But Simone fell down and yelled at pain. According to FIFA rule, Simone was a victim. Whether he was acting, it is all pending on human judgement, very subjective. And he did not violate any FIFA rule. That's why he stayed on the court and Beckham had to leave.

That's why Ruud stayed on the court and Viera had to go as well. At the end of the match, u could see that Arsenal player went over to Ruud, knocked on his head and chest, but Ruud just kept quiet and stayed away from the Gunners and went straight to the dressing room.

Judging on this, do u think it is Ruud or the Gunners are trouble makers ??

Although i am 100% anti-MU fans club royal member, I salute the right attitude of Ruud for this incident.

The fact is what van Nistelrooy did was disgraceful.
Viera is trying to kick Ruud, and Ruud instant reaction move away to avoid the tackle. Why was he being disgraceful ? U mean if someone is trying to punch u, and u should stay still then u are only to be regarded as graceful act ???

10:27 23Sep2003 RTRS-Soccer-We were guilty of stupid behaviour -- Arsenal chairman

LONDON, Sept 23 (Reuters) - Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has criticised the behaviour of his players during Sunday's ill-tempered 0-0 draw at Manchester United.
"There are no excuses. We were guilty of stupid behaviour," Hill-Wood told the Sun newspaper on Tuesday. "The players concerned were rather silly when you would hope they would show more intelligence.
"What makes matters worse is the fact it was senior players who were involved, experienced professionals who have played more than enough games to know not to react like that. All I can say in our defence is we are not a dirty side and nobody was hurt."
England's Football Association said on Monday it would be urgently reviewing the match report of referee Steve Bennett and video evidence following the ugly scenes involving Arsenal players at Old Trafford.
The London club look set for disciplinary trouble after the premier league game turned sour in the wake of a red card for their French captain Patrick Vieira.
Arsenal defender Martin Keown jumped into United's Dutch striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, who was also jostled by several Arsenal players at the final whistle.
Van Nistelrooy, who had just missed a stoppage-time penalty, was a target after his tangle with Vieira led to the red card -- prompting Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to later accuse the Dutchman of cheating.
French newspaper L'Equipe reported on Monday there had also been a heated exchange between Vieira and van Nistelrooy in the players' tunnel after the match.

wong_se said:
It is ok to simulate the situation.at least FIFA guideline does not state that it is not allowed. Ruud was not doing anything disgraceful according to FIFA rule.

I'm afraid not mate. Kevin Phillips diving was simulation. Robert Pires diving was simulation. FIFA have been trying to crack down on simulation since the last World Cup, although of course usually the referees are vigilant for half a season and then give up on it. If rolling around in complete agony when you weren't hit isn't simulation, tell me what is.

And even IF it was fine by FIFA rules, which it isn't... it's still a disgraceful thing to do! Playacting to get someone sent off is just unfair and cheating... there's not need to pretend that you're injured when you really aren't... and this is something a whole sackful of players seem to do at present. And I've shot Ruud enough times to know he's as guilty as the next player of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.