any clean kit or tool for recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiangxing

Sep 5, 2009
my poor k20d is full of dust now. Can any one recommend any clean kit? the one comes when buying my k20d sucks.

Also, it seems the split focus screen becomes dirty. How can i clean it? I try to clean it with the clean kit but it becomes worse. Shall i change it? where to buy one?

Last edited:
Full of dust, you mean inside on the sensor, or outside on the body? Outside can just wipe with any damp cloth and use a soft paint brush like those for art to brush the crevices. Dust inside on the sensor, if the blower doesn't do it, then you'll need to do wet cleaning with some E2 solution and a sensor swab. You can get E2 solution from CP, but I'm sure you can find much cheaper sensor swabs elsewhere.

I've not tried cleaning the focusing screen, so I won't offer any advice there.... though it's perfectly fine to leave the dirt there. It just bugs the hell out of you when you look in the viewfinder. :bsmilie:

you can remove the screen, it shouldn't be too difficult. it's mounted on a tray you can dislodge from the mirror box easily.

I use a low sticking power sticky tape to clean my sensor, might freak out some people, but its harmless, takes below 5 minutes, and leaves you spotless sensor. it's actually less instrusive than you think. can be done in the field too, just need some guts :bsmilie::bsmilie:

you can remove the screen, it shouldn't be too difficult. it's mounted on a tray you can dislodge from the mirror box easily.

I use a low sticking power sticky tape to clean my sensor, might freak out some people, but its harmless, takes below 5 minutes, and leaves you spotless sensor. it's actually less instrusive than you think. can be done in the field too, just need some guts :bsmilie::bsmilie:

really damn freaky!

:bsmilie:

safest just go svc center, the tape method will not leave scratch, maybe risk of residue, but so far, I only get a gleaming sensor afterward ;p

"Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit "
Agree, This one is cheap and effective. Small and light enough to carry with you when travel.
But take me some times to master the way of cleaning using it.

not on the sensor。 Mainly on the focusing screen, the mirrors.

Full of dust, you mean inside on the sensor, or outside on the body? Outside can just wipe with any damp cloth and use a soft paint brush like those for art to brush the crevices. Dust inside on the sensor, if the blower doesn't do it, then you'll need to do wet cleaning with some E2 solution and a sensor swab. You can get E2 solution from CP, but I'm sure you can find much cheaper sensor swabs elsewhere.

I've not tried cleaning the focusing screen, so I won't offer any advice there.... though it's perfectly fine to leave the dirt there. It just bugs the hell out of you when you look in the viewfinder. :bsmilie:

not on the sensor。 Mainly on the focusing screen, the mirrors.

don't touch the mirror. the reflective metallic surface is on the front and not behind a glass sheet, unlike your bathroom mirror. if you are careless you could damage the metallic layer.

also for the focusing screen you could try to remove it and run it under a tap but you could accidentally drop it, scratch it, etc.

i would recommend not trying anything if you aren't sure, especially since these things don't affect your picture or the picture taking process.

i have touched the mirror. Sigh....

i am a poor guy.

don't touch the mirror. the reflective metallic surface is on the front and not behind a glass sheet, unlike your bathroom mirror. if you are careless you could damage the metallic layer.

also for the focusing screen you could try to remove it and run it under a tap but you could accidentally drop it, scratch it, etc.

i would recommend not trying anything if you aren't sure, especially since these things don't affect your picture or the picture taking process.

i have touched the mirror. Sigh....

i am a poor guy.

hopefully you haven't damaged anything. i was just sharing what i heard but never seen anything first hand. just leave everything, don't bother abt dust in the screen in the cam in the lens etc unless it gets on the sensor and on the photos.. even then a quick puff with a blower gets rid of it.

thanks for your suggestions.

Or else i have to give the cam to my dad lah.

hopefully you haven't damaged anything. i was just sharing what i heard but never seen anything first hand. just leave everything, don't bother abt dust in the screen in the cam in the lens etc unless it gets on the sensor and on the photos.. even then a quick puff with a blower gets rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.