Any cheap and good 3rd party Flash for nikon D90 to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camster

Dec 12, 2008
Newbie question. Any cheap and good 3rd party Flash for nikon D90 to recommend? Budget $200+. If close to $300 might as well i get sb600 liao.... Experts pls help. thank you.

i would still recommand you to get at least a 2nd hand SB-600

Newbie question. Any cheap and good 3rd party Flash for nikon D90 to recommend? Budget $200+. If close to $300 might as well i get sb600 liao.... Experts pls help. thank you.

Then get SB-600. Don't bother with 3rd party flashes... Not even Metz.

Curious... beside no TTL function what is the typical problem from a third-party flash? :dunno:

Get 2nd hand SB600 or SB800(better)

for a peace of mind with little cost difference, the choice is obvious.

see if you need the features + the power.

for me when starting out, as long can adjust power + swivel + tilt and didnt cost a bomb can already.

Stick to Nikon flashes....

this is a piece of advise which most Nikon users would give u... and it'll save you money in the end...

Stick to Nikon flashes....

this is a piece of advise which most Nikon users would give u... and it'll save you money in the end...
maybe users could highlight why should stick to Nikon flash and why it would save money in the end?

maybe users could highlight why should stick to Nikon flash and why it would save money in the end?

maybe next time if you upgrade to sb900 or 800, you could use the sb600 as a slave ? =D

like what im doing now =)

Isn't someone selling Nissin flashes in the Mass Sales forum? Quite cheap. Can check it out if you're on a budget.

Ultimately you get much better metering, and hence, pleasing results, when you use Nikon flashes with Nikon DSLRs. The TTL system is a God-send, honestly. Your "success rate" is much higher with Nikon Speedlights.
This alone should be reason enough to spend that little bit extra for them.
ON TOP OF THAT, D90 + SB600/SB800 gives you the benefit of advanced wireless lighting (part of Nikon's CLS). So... I don't see what more you can ask for.

I just got a 2nd hand SB600 for $230 from fellow clubsnapper. Really happy with it.

$200+ for new 3rd party flash, vs $200+ for great condition 2nd-hand SB600. The choice is clear.

You spend 200 on a 3rd party flash.. then discover it can't work as well, due to the lack of functions or compatibility (sometimes with newer cameras) and then you'd want to sell it off at a loss.

Then you're forced to get the SB series flash.

Doesn't it show clearly, you're wasting money and time??

D90 is quite fussy over third party flash. My D90 does not work with metz in TTL mode(cannot meter, cannot fire the shot although it can focus). I have to set it to M to get flash fire.

but the same flash(Metz) does work at D200(my friend's camera). I read in internet, D90 is not compatible with some third party flash. I am thinking to get SB600 when I can save enough. I can use it as slave also (like one bro suggested above)

Hi there,

If you are really going for a third party flash i would say the Nissin Di622 or the sunpak PZ42X. Both have mounts for nikon or canon, and from what i see Di622 is very easy to operate. Just on the flash,once the ready light is on you can fire away. There is auto focus, power 1:1 to 1:34(if i got the numbers correct) and it works with nikon I-TTL system,do check out some reviews about it. As for the sunpak PZ42X there is a LCD screen which you can tune your EV adjustments on it,but slightly less powerful than the Nissin. Nissin's guide number is 44 at ISO 100.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.