Any catch buying pentax lenses from Amazon USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

le petit prince

Jan 26, 2004
At amazon.com, I noticed that prices for new pentax lenses (eg. DA21 and DA70) are, after conversion, about what 2nd hand prices are here. Prices for new are of course much higher in local shops.

Besides shipping charges and potential warranty issues, any other 'catch'? I don't understand why anyone would buy locally as prices are so much higher here.

Considering going the amazon way since a friend is getting some books, and I can ride on the shipping..

Thanks for any inputs and comments!

Most likely you can get International warranty if you buy from the US. Anything above SGD$400 (this includes shipping cost!) will need to pay 7% import tax. You can do the math by yourself: the actual cost of the lens, plus shipping, then 7% tax. Compare it w/ local price or second hand price, if the difference is quite big, probably worth the effort.

Good luck.

The price for DA21 at Amazon is $419USD, assume shipping cost of $21, that's total of $440USD. Plus 7% tax, it's 470USD, that's about 650SGD. Better than buy new in a local shop but higher than buy a second hand one :)

The price for DA21 at Amazon is $419USD, assume shipping cost of $21, that's total of $440USD. Plus 7% tax, it's 470USD, that's about 650SGD. Better than buy new in a local shop but higher than buy a second hand one :)

Thanks, FW! That's a detailed analysis, haha!

Mmm, so comparing with a good-condition 2nd-hand one which cost $550, I will pay about $100 more for 1) brand new, 2) with 1 year warranty.

Think it's worth it. :)

Cheers!

Edited: $100 more, not $85 :p

Mmm, so comparing with a good-condition 2nd-hand one which cost $550, I will pay about $85 more for 1) brand new, 2) with 1 year warranty.

Cheers!

still got one more catch :nono:

cannot test lens.. but then pentax qc relatively quite good.. problem for me is i always end up buying third party lenses :bsmilie:

still got one more catch :nono:

cannot test lens.. but then pentax qc relatively quite good.. problem for me is i always end up buying third party lenses :bsmilie:

True, but warranty should cover any issues.

3rd party.. well, any pancake 3rd party lens for Pentax? :D

You should also take note that shipping via vPost is extremely ineffective cost-wise.
Because of the way Amazon packs their items, you will almost always spend excessively on the volumetric weight system.
Plus you will incur GST.

But I buy from Amazon frequently, since I often have access to 'free private couriers'. :D

Buying online is buying blind. You can't test nor do you have a choice to select those with nice serial numbers. :bsmilie: Given the mixed reputation of some lenses, even with international warranty I won't take the risk getting it online because unlike the US and elsewhere, there is no recourse here to return it and get a refund.

Mmm, so comparing with a good-condition 2nd-hand one which cost $550, I will pay about $100 more for 1) brand new, 2) with 1 year warranty.

Cheers!

Edited: $100 more, not $85 :p

That's almost 20% difference. For lens, I'd get it second hand if I can save about 20% on a good copy :)

That's almost 20% difference. For lens, I'd get it second hand if I can save about 20% on a good copy :)

No idea how to test a lens to see if it's good copy or not, haha!

I'll check how much I can save on shipping then, as I'm sharing with a friend. :)

You should also take note that shipping via vPost is extremely ineffective cost-wise.
Because of the way Amazon packs their items, you will almost always spend excessively on the volumetric weight system.
Plus you will incur GST.

But I buy from Amazon frequently, since I often have access to 'free private couriers'. :D

Via vpost? Cheaper still than Amazon direct? mmm, will check up then.

Via vpost? Cheaper still than Amazon direct? mmm, will check up then.

VPost should be cheaper lah. 'Cause Amazon would ship the package to vPost USA for free. You only need to pay the cost from vPost USA to SG, which is quite reasonably priced :)

Unless you know the size of your item and Amazon's boxes really well, it's also kind of a gamble.
If your item just fails to fit into one size, it will be packed in the next biggest box with lots of padding.
You will then end up paying for shipping of a lot of air.... :(
On the other hand, if the item fits just nicely, the shipping would not be too ex..

Unless you know the size of your item and Amazon's boxes really well, it's also kind of a gamble.
If your item just fails to fit into one size, it will be packed in the next biggest box with lots of padding.
On the other hand, if the item fits just nicely, the shipping would not be too ex..

Actually the shipping isn't so bad because you could bundle in other small items as well and consolidate the shipping. The needless expense imo is the 7% GST (calculated on the cost of the item & the cost of shipping) one has to bear.

Thanks to everyone for his helpful reply and tips!

Now exploring a possible 2nd hand copy instead. :)

See how it goes!

The extra I paid for amazon stuff using vpost amounted to more than $100 and that excludes the horrible GST...:bigeyes:

The extra I paid for amazon stuff using vpost amounted to more than $100 and that excludes the horrible GST...:bigeyes:

Er, don't they tell you what the shipping charges are before you click OK to submit order?

If it's a purchase worth a few ks, probably fine.. but if only a few hundreds.. ouch!

Er, don't they tell you what the shipping charges are before you click OK to submit order?

vPost is using a weight-cum-volume formula to calculate shipping charge. But you do not know how Amazon will pack your purchased items. Sometimes it is compact and sometimes it is bulk. If the latter, then your vPost shipping fee will shoot sky high!!!

vPost is using a weight-cum-volume formula to calculate shipping charge. But you do not know how Amazon will pack your purchased items. Sometimes it is compact and sometimes it is bulk. If the latter, then your vPost shipping fee will shoot sky high!!!

I have the same experience...
a tiny 300g lens comes out to be 2 kg volume weight ;(.... wat is this

Status
Not open for further replies.